My Racing Sim Rig

MrMitch

Spinning Drives Rule!
I figured I'd do a dedicated post to show this off, I'm rather proud. Not as hardcore as some, but it does what I need it to.

Specs

80/20 Aluminum Profile tubing for the chassis itself
Cheap $100 seat from Summit Racing (Next upgrade will be a nice Spacro Bubba Evo)
Fanatec CSW V2.5 Wheel with Formula Carbon and BMW GT2 Rims
Heusinkveld Sim Pedal Pro's with HE baseplate
DSD CSW Button boxes mounted left and right of the wheel, DSD sequential shifter
Pixio 32" 1080P (i know.....) 144hz curved monitor
PC dedicated to the rig: 7700k, Asrock matx z170, 16GB, evga GTX 980 TI, Coolermaster matx case, Logitech G430

Main pic

rig1.jpg

Picture of the wheel, button boxes, headset and shifter

rig2.jpg

Monitor. I really like this Pixio, it's only 1080P but for racing that's fine, I just wanted a big screen to maximize the FOV. This is the first 144hz monitor I've ever used and I am a believer, you can really tell the difference between 60hz and 144hz.

rig3.jpg

Pedals and Pedal plate. The shoes and gloves are Alpinestars karting. (No fire protection in karting equipment makes it much more comfortable and affordable). The brake requires 120lbs of pressure to reach 100% so shoes are a requirement. PC off to the right jammed between wall and rig.

rig4.jpg

Somebody will ask why not Triple monitor's or VR. I have done both. VR simply didn't work for me, having to wear glasses in the headset makes 3 hour stints neigh impossible. I use to have triple 24" 60hz setup but it took up too much space so I downgraded. That being said I think I prefer a single large 144hz compared to triple 60hz for racing. No doubt triple 144hz would be awesome tho.

Pic of Triples

rig5.jpg

Last edited:
Shit hot! I'm slowly getting into Simracing, but I just got pretty hardcore into the flying side of it. I'll get some pics of what I have going on right now, but it's an office chair with a wheel stand pro (Warthog).

Swapping the office chair out for a Playseat Air Force this weekend and then converting the wheelstand from flying to driving (come on Fanatec BF!!!) so I can just swing the WSP in front of the flight chair to drive.

I've never seen the switch boxes on the side of your wheelbase... made by Fanatec I presume?

I've never seen the switch boxes on the side of your wheelbase... made by Fanatec I presume?

I've always wanted to get into the flight sim side...... :D

The boxes are made by derek speare designs. They are built just for the fanatec base and mount directly to it. He does all kinds of boxes for racing and flying.

Geez I just looked up your pedals.... them things is gangster, lol. I'm aiming to get the Fanatec CSL Elite bundle on BF and add the load cell pedal + shifter later on.

The CSL pack for $300 on BF looks amazing. I've heard great things about the wheel base, well above the logitech's and thrustmaster's, decent pedals are just the icing on the cake for $300.

I figured I'd do a dedicated post to show this off, I'm rather proud. Not as hardcore as some, but it does what I need it to.

Specs

80/20 Aluminum Profile tubing for the chassis itself
Cheap $100 seat from Summit Racing (Next upgrade will be a nice Spacro Bubba Evo)
Fanatec CSW V2.5 Wheel with Formula Carbon and BMW GT2 Rims
Heusinkveld Sim Pedal Pro's with HE baseplate
DSD CSW Button boxes mounted left and right of the wheel, DSD sequential shifter
Pixio 32" 1080P (i know.....) 144hz curved monitor
PC dedicated to the rig: 7700k, Asrock matx z170, 16GB, evga GTX 980 TI, Coolermaster matx case, Logitech G430

Main pic

rig1.jpg

Picture of the wheel, button boxes, headset and shifter

rig2.jpg

Monitor. I really like this Pixio, it's only 1080P but for racing that's fine, I just wanted a big screen to maximize the FOV. This is the first 144hz monitor I've ever used and I am a believer, you can really tell the difference between 60hz and 144hz.

rig3.jpg

Pedals and Pedal plate. The shoes and gloves are Alpinestars karting. (No fire protection in karting equipment makes it much more comfortable and affordable). The brake requires 120lbs of pressure to reach 100% so shoes are a requirement. PC off to the right jammed between wall and rig.

rig4.jpg

Somebody will ask why not Triple monitor's or VR. I have done both. VR simply didn't work for me, having to wear glasses in the headset makes 3 hour stints neigh impossible. I use to have triple 24" 60hz setup but it took up too much space so I downgraded. That being said I think I prefer a single large 144hz compared to triple 60hz for racing. No doubt triple 144hz would be awesome tho.

Pic of Triples

rig5.jpg
Thanks for posting this MrMitch ! We have all been wondering!

That is a completely awesome set up! Thanks for sharing!

Very nice!

My sim rig is an old minivan seat put in a 2x4 frame that holds my G25 wheel and shifter, but I think it might be time to get something new wheel wise. Bonus is the minivan seat folds into a nice coffee table with cup holders when I'm not racing.

Aren't the side monitors angled inwards far too much? Everything I've read says that you basically want a perpendicular line from the center of each monitor pointing directly at your eye (essentially, the center point of each monitor should be the same distance from your eyes). For the distance your seat is from your monitors, it looks like the side monitors are pointing toward somewhere about two feet in front of your eyes.

Aren't the side monitors angled inwards far too much? Everything I've read says that you basically want a perpendicular line from the center of each monitor pointing directly at your eye (essentially, the center point of each monitor should be the same distance from your eyes). For the distance your seat is from your monitors, it looks like the side monitors are pointing toward somewhere about two feet in front of your eyes.

iRacing has full bezel and angle compensation built into the sim so you can do what you want, the general rule of thumb for iRacing is to angle the monitors the same as your single screen FOV which iRacing also calculates. In the the triple setup I ran 140 degree FOV, so I just angled the monitors at 45 degrees.

The flight sims I work on have complete visuals, all around and above, broken into facets. The panels are collimated so that the eyepoint is fixed in the center of the cockpit. You don't even think about it but good gravy if you try to get out of the cockpit while the plane is flying the perspective shift of just a foot away makes it so disorienting I need both hands to stay standing. And I'm generally not susceptible to that kind of stuff. Just gee whiz.

iRacing has full bezel and angle compensation built into the sim so you can do what you want, the general rule of thumb for iRacing is to angle the monitors the same as your single screen FOV which iRacing also calculates. In the the triple setup I ran 140 degree FOV, so I just angled the monitors at 45 degrees.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. Doesn't that mean you have less peripheral vision then, as opposed to with the screens at greater angles. Mine are (at a guess) about about 160 degrees from the center panel.

Back