My PSU Blew Up..

pain.angel

Gawd
Joined
May 6, 2005
Messages
525
So the other day my power supply went out in a hail of gunfire. bam bam bam and the power went dead. So I tore it out and threw in another power supply temporarily until the new one I ordered gets here. The psu i put in is 20-pin but my motherboard supports a 20 or 24 pin. System runs, boots up, does just about everything it did before. I have noticed some small anomalies though:
At first creative drivers would let me change speaker settings until I switched modes but reinstalling drivers fixed that.
I went to change video settings in CSS just now and some of the info was messed up. Only displaying partial data in the labels for the dropboxes and the drop boxes were empty much like the xfi drop boxes.

Does this indicate that something may have been fried when the power supply blew or just that the data on the hard drive was most likely corrupted? I think it may also be this power supply but that will have to wait until tomorrow to check when the new psu comes in.
 
It sounds more like the data got boogered up, like the failure happened doing some read/write as bad as an improper shut down. Probably worse since the PSU probably didn't cease to function on all rails simultaneously. Is a reinstall an option today?
 
It sounds more like the data got boogered up, like the failure happened doing some read/write as bad as an improper shut down. Probably worse since the PSU probably didn't cease to function on all rails simultaneously. Is a reinstall an option today?

I'll probably go through with a reinstall, yeh. If not today then tomorrow once I get the new psu situated in there. I figure its just data corruption but thought I should ask around so that a week from now I dont find I need to order a new mobo or anything else.
 
Back
Top