My project idea (Couple Q's)

SleepWarz

n00b
Registered a little while ago and browsed for a couple days. I now feel ready to post a few of my ideas for my first case mod.
I started gathering my ideas for a case mod a month ago, Now I find that noise really is not an issue because a wear a good pair of noise cancelling headphones and I plan to install on/off switches for all of the fans (Except Rear). The top blowhole fan switch will also control respectively the bottom ones.
Q1- I was planning on useing 2 led's to signify status once the switch has been flipped but I did not know if it was possible. One led lit when its off (Red), and one led lit when it is on (Not cirtan on colour Blue or Green), not both at the same time.
Q2- I also had another idea for a circut consisting of 10 led's in pairs of two, lit sequentially when the power button is pressed. Also timed at about .5 seconds between each lighting until all are lit then it stays solid until power is cut. Then the process reverses.
The base case that I'm going to use is a Ahanix Platinum XP.
intro.jpg

Q3- I have dissassembled this and drilled out every freaking rivet in this bloody thing. (I HATE RIVETS) I was wondering if there was anything with a profile like a rivet, but could be unscrewed. Just so if I need to dissassemble this thing again I dont need to bring out the drill press. :p
I will be painting the inside/frame gloss black, and the outside/side's and roof metallic red.
I have made a concept sketch of what it will include.
Shockwave.gif

Look at them artistic skills, some of the dimentions are improper and I cannot draw. ;)
I will Name it 'Project Shockwave' when I finally get this thing going (In refrence to the many fans). I just need propper tools now, which reqires funds.

Q1. Easy enough to do. Are you looking at using dual colour LEDs? (ie one LED that can light up in 2 different colours or 2 LEDs of different colour?).
Q2. Might want to ask this in the electronics forum ... there are circuits that sound a ot like this, but most of the time you see them attached to poweramps that pulse in time to sound form the sound card.
Q3. For stuff youll likely never pull apart again (case frame) - just re-rivet the things. Otherwise, a real nice solution is a machine screw - one of those dome headed things with a hex head on them - the sort of thing furniture at Ikea is put together with. You will probably want to screw them into nuts or tap out new holes.

While its your case, you have an incredible number of fans in their. If its all for show, then go for it, otherwise really look at just how much cooling you REALLY need. I think you have overkill here, and are just asking to have your case fill up with dust bunnies.

Token User said:
While its your case, you have an incredible number of fans in their. If its all for show, then go for it, otherwise really look at just how much cooling you REALLY need. I think you have overkill here, and are just asking to have your case fill up with dust bunnies.

Ditto'ed. Should also do some measurements and sketch things out panel by panel (graph paper would help)

Depending on what you will have in there, you won't need half that many fans. At some point fans move from "effective" and into "annoying". Not only that, but that many fans could eat a lot of your power supply's wattage.

Thanks for the replies.
Yes the fans mostly are for show, but on the subject of dust I am going to expairiment with a pull out filter (Think of a dryer filter) to use so I can just rub the crap off. Indeed the amount of fans could be considered 'overkill' but then I would miss our on all of the sucking and blowing comments. ;)
In reply to the reply to my question one - Either/or, does not matter to me as long as I get the same effect.
Answer 2 - Copy, will ask there.
Answer 3 - Machine screws eh, good Idea. I am shure I have a bag if these kicking around the shop.
Graph paper will be handy, I will be getting some of this soon.

Personally, on my machines, if it wasn't riveted and it was visible, it was held with machine screws, except for panel that needed to be removed, then it was always thumbscrews.

Back