My Processor is Hot as Heck

Question: You're using AS5...
Does the heatsink have a pad on the bottom of it? If you're using AS5 and left the pad on the bottom of the heatsink you will have insanely high temps. You need to remove the TIM (thermal interface material) pad on the bottom of the heatsink before applying AS5.

IF that is NOT the case then I'd check (if you haven't already) for any updated BIOS for your motherboard. It may just be a skewed sensor but something seems a bit fishy.

Not meaning to flame or anything, but it says you overclock in your sig-- shouldn't you know stuff like this of you overclock??? And I agree with the previous posters; all AMD heatsinks are easy to remove. IMO, the hardest to remove heatsink is LGA775...

Anyways, did you get it working or is your motherboard still reading high temps? If it is still high and still inconsistent, then (like everyone else has said) you either installed something wrong or your motherboard is messed up. Try to invite a friend over that knows a lot about computers so he can check if you did something wrong. I have helped friends countless times with stupid problems like this (and stupider, ex: mobo wouldn't POST because it was mounted with NO FRICKIN STANDOFFS :rolleyes: )

Orinthical said:
Does the heatsink have a pad on the bottom of it? If you're using AS5 and left the pad on the bottom of the heatsink you will have insanely high temps. You need to remove the TIM (thermal interface material) pad on the bottom of the heatsink before applying AS5.

IF that is NOT the case then I'd check (if you haven't already) for any updated BIOS for your motherboard. It may just be a skewed sensor but something seems a bit fishy.

I removed the crappy stock paste from everything before I applied the AS5.

Also, this is my first AMD processor, and I used a guide to overclock that pentium .2 GHZ...I am still getting those readins, but I just ignore them. Just because I overclock doesn't mean I know exactly why a CPu is going nuts. It isn't that fucking hard to overclock a CPU, but it is hard to figure out this problem. :rolleyes: I know more about computers than anyone at my school...

You really shouldve left on that stock stuff, its Shin-Etsu and is actually on par with or better than AS5.

The Intel TIM is even better. People get much better results out of hte stock pad than AS5 with Intel's retial coolers.

Orinthical said:

I also just updated the BIOS 2 days ago...

wow....i thought the newest amd hsfs are the easiest thing to remove!! But I think the best results if you're in trouble is to use a plier. Especially the ones with a hooked tip to give better access to harder to reach area.

3500+ should run very cool. I soemtimes dont' even feel heat cause it's running cool. I guess j just check the thermal paste mark on your hsf to tell.

I had a akasa HSF with copper fins and i thought the freezer 64 would be better , i was wrong. The akasa use to say 28celcius idle and the freezer 64 40celcius idle , i think i need to re-install the old akasa which even costs more. It may also be that i havent installed the HSF properly

Weird things happen in this business. :)

SilentScope said:
I also just updated the BIOS 2 days ago...

Try back-flashing to a slightly older version? Every now and then they break more stuff than they fix in bios releases. ;)

Orinthical said:
Try back-flashing to a slightly older version? Every now and then they break more stuff than they fix in bios releases. ;)

Well, it was the same before the flash too, so I really think I broke a sensor or something.

SilentScope said:
Well, it was the same before the flash too, so I really think I broke a sensor or something.

Are there any slightly older versions available? You need to back-flash to an actual older version to rule-out firmware (BIOS). Don't go too far back, maybe just a revision or two. The likelihood of YOU breaking a sensor is rather slim... it's more likely either a firmware (BIOS) issue or an issue with the motherboard itself. If you have a friend who'd be willing - you could always take your chip over and see if it runs that hot in his/her system as well.

It's not hard to find the root of this problem. First, you reseated the stock heatsink. Good idea. I don't think it's even possible to mis-seat it because it clips directly down onto the CPU. You are getting pretty much the same results. Now, load the cpu 100% with prime95 and see if the sensor reports a change in temperature. If not, then the sensor is acting funky and case closed. Try that first.

I have an Athlon XP 3000+ that runs at 70C at idle. The heatsink also burns my fingers to the touch. I know it has AS5 because when I brought in my computer one time on warranty to Best Buy when the CPU fan broke, I watched him clean off everything there and put on AS5 and it still is just as hot as it always was. It has been like this since I bought it in August 2004.

RoGuE1230 said:
I have an Athlon XP 3000+ that runs at 70C at idle. The heatsink also burns my fingers to the touch. I know it has AS5 because when I brought in my computer one time on warranty to Best Buy when the CPU fan broke, I watched him clean off everything there and put on AS5 and it still is just as hot as it always was. It has been like this since I bought it in August 2004.
And it is still alive? LOL

thunderstruck! said:
It's not hard to find the root of this problem. First, you reseated the stock heatsink. Good idea. I don't think it's even possible to mis-seat it because it clips directly down onto the CPU. You are getting pretty much the same results. Now, load the cpu 100% with prime95 and see if the sensor reports a change in temperature. If not, then the sensor is acting funky and case closed. Try that first.

I'll do that now.

Back