My ppd are steadily declining...just new protiens?

arnemetis

2[H]4U
Hi everyone, I've noticed a significant hit to my ppd in the last two weeks. The only change to my folding was on the 24th I gave the 9600gso to its new home, but there have been problems and that computer is still not set up. That would account for a small dip. Since then it has dropped constantly to a ppd far below what I think I should be at. You can see the drop easily here. Maybe it's some new protiens that are doing it, but this sucks. I've got my 260s and q6600 in my sig folding, as well as an 8800gs with shaders at 1700. I've also verified the overclocks are intact on the 260s. Anyone else experiencing this? Not a good way to start the new year :(

Yeah, I feel your pain arnemetis. I don't know if they are releasing more and more difficult WU's, or are testing out new proteins, and haven't gotten them optimized for all the hardware, but you're right, it's a sucky way to start the new year!

I'll let you know if I hear anything or find anything out.

One of the goals for the F@H GPU2 cleints is to have both nVidia & ATI have the ability to run the same work units.

As you can see here ---> http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html

Many of the GPU2 projects are working on the same type of problems.
You will notice that the credit for many ATI & nVidia units are the same.

While we are not running the same projects yet, the time will come here in the future.

Some units will always run better on nVidia hardware and others ATI will have the edge.

i dunno mines been going up.. thanks to the new projects.. avging around 4800-5000PPD and am rarely getting the 511 point projects now.. could be one of the unlucky few that keep getting stuck with the larger 511 point projects that take a little longer then the other ones..

Funny, I've been stuck on the 384 pointers. My secondary 260 is only pulling in just over 6k while my primary is pulling 7.3k still. primary is 5757, secondary is 5763. my q6600 is also only doing about 1700, so that doesn't help. The 8800gs seems to be holding strong at 3.6k with 5764, another 384 pointer.

It depends on days. some days, I get onlu 511 pointers so my ppd tanked a bit. Other days, I get just 480 or 353/384 pointers which tank on cheaper cards but bump the ppd of the GTX 260 core 216 a lot.

That's what I'm saying. My 260s are tanking on 384 pointers, not on the usually slow 511s. I'm down to 14k yesterday, what the hell is going on?

That's what I'm saying. My 260s are tanking on 384 pointers, not on the usually slow 511s. I'm down to 14k yesterday, what the hell is going on?

Did you overclock the shader domain on the GTX 260 ? Which driver are you using ?

Mine is overclocked to 1512 MHz and running 178.24 (it's the driver I like the best so far).

My shaders are at 1480 and I'm using a fairly new driver in the 180.xx range, however I haven't updated that in at least a month so its not due to a driver change. There haven't been any EUE or other crashes in the logs. It isn't temps, the cards both load at 48c. I believe the 8800gs is on 178.24 as I don't do much else on that pc.

A good remedy would be to wipe the F@H GPU folder then put a new fresh one in it. Maybe you got struck with a inefficient core which didn't get updated properly.

arnemetis you were pulling on me. That in part got me to working on my machine. I saw you back there in my threats list. :)

Sorry to hear your production dropped off so bad. My 260's are rocking and rolling on the 480 point units. And also seem to do good with the other small point units. The 511 point units kill me. but I haven't got any of those in a while.

Hope it works out.

I've been getting nothing but the 480 point wu's for the last few days.
They allow running my 280's shaders at 1566 vs. 1512 for the 384s and 511s.

The current core is toned down for less EUEs but cost about 700 PPD avg over the old 1.15 core on the 480 pointers.

P.S. I also run the 178.24 drivers.

Found what I believe to be a major contributor to my ppd loss. I randomly decided to check my watt usage on my ups, and its drawing 500 watts. A bit low, I think to myself. I then decide to check my process manager, something I haven't done since I installed bill2's. O look, fahmon.exe is using up 25% of my cpu. And it's locked to the same cpu core as the gpu clients, to maximize cpu usefulness. Great :( Killed the process, and my ups shot up to 700 watts. I'll have to pay closer attention in the future, and as an added bonus, fahmon has stopped working now that I've killed it. O well.

Found what I believe to be a major contributor to my ppd loss. I randomly decided to check my watt usage on my ups, and its drawing 500 watts. A bit low, I think to myself. I then decide to check my process manager, something I haven't done since I installed bill2's. O look, fahmon.exe is using up 25% of my cpu. And it's locked to the same cpu core as the gpu clients, to maximize cpu usefulness. Great :( Killed the process, and my ups shot up to 700 watts. I'll have to pay closer attention in the future, and as an added bonus, fahmon has stopped working now that I've killed it. O well.

It's kinda funny when a program like that give you the middle finger after you shut it down for misbehaving.

If you leave your computers running non-stop long enough, the log files themselves will cause the problem you just spoke of. Restart all your clients to reset the logs and I bet your problem goes away. I had EXACTLY the same problem when 2 of my computers had been running non-stop until the logs were about a meg each.

Ha! I guess I found out the hard way. I guess it's time for a full system reboot anyway, been a while. It dies when the logs hit a meg? I remember once running out of hdd space several years ago, at some point I had turned logs on in mirc and I had 14gb of text files :eek:

Back