My Phenom II benchmarks

Yep that's what may make the Phenom II attractive. You can run it in a 100usd 790GX mobo with 2 x 2Gb 45usd ram. X58 mobos are around 300usd and up. The cheapest DDR3 1066 2 x 2Gb ram kit I've seen is 94usd.

Honestly a 160usd Phenom 9950 @ 3.1GHz will support most all graphics cards well. You could get that, some ram and a mobo for the price of a single X58 motherboard. You could put that extra cash towards an HD 4870 1Gb. They're down to 239usd currently.

Of course the best price vs performance quad out is the Q6600 G0 for 190usd. It will do 3.6-3.8GHz in most cases. I've tested Tri-SLi extensively with an i7 920 @ 3.2GHz and 3.96GHz. @ 1280x with no filtering I lose 5-8FPS in the 60-80FPS range @ 3.2GHz. At the res I actually play, 1920x, I lose even less. My point is, you don't need a 4.0GHz i7 920 for a pure gaming ring even when running something like well overclocked GTX 260 Tri-SLi. The i7 920 @ 4.0GHz is far better than the Q6600 @ 3.6-3.8GHz, and not to the tune of +100usd.

Thats why most people are comparing it to C2Q then i7, My setup is gonna be around the same for a decent phenom 2 setup, Can not wait to see what stomps what.

Also a Decent 790gx boards run 120+ btw ;). You can find cheaper x58 boards for under 250, All you sacrifice is either 3 dim slots or some cool looking coolers. i7 is very affordable if you want to make it, but you gotta remember its high end so of course its gonna cost a pretty penny.

Why get a 9950 over a Q6600? Its around the same price for both (790gx, 4gb, cpu vs p45, 4gb, cpu).

To me most/majority of the people that have moved to i7, do it either for future-proffing, Finally made the upgrade from their duals, or just wanted to. An i7 rig is worth every penny imo.

Like i said countless times, the phenom 2 is gonna be a decent chip, but im more interested to see the am3 setups.

Since we were also talking about prices, and the fact that I don't have the 50-posts required to post in the Hot Deals Section, I found this just now in an eamil from Micro Center, an Intel -7 for $280. AMD is going to have to beat this price with their PH2's so let's hope they do.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0300438

And, could someone psot this link in the Hot Deals Section, because I am sure there are some people here that might want the i7 920 for $280.

If the PH2 940 is $275, that may be too much or maybe that will be OK. Personally I hope the price is a bit lower as I uess we all do.

Thanx, Chris

but you are missing them ain point, the whole system such as cpu, MB, Memory will be 250$+ cheaper than building an Intel system. The only thing you will notice with the i7 is more numbers/scores and impress your geek friend and give them wood. Users like me that are looking for an all around good system and dont get into overclocking and other junk the way others do, AMD is the best way to go, for me at least.

In my mind Intel has always been the company that does not give you value for your money, which is clear with the i7 systems

Not entirely, it all depends on where your money is going. For me, getting a descent SLI AMD motherboard($200), Phenom 2 940($275?) and 4gb DDR2-1066($75). Compared to Gigabyte x58($260), i7 920($295), and 3gb DDR3-1333($95-ish). The difference there is a whole $100, sure its 1gb less RAM. But you can always get more down the line, which will only drop in price.

I'm not out to turn this into another AMD vs. Intel debate, but the cost vs. performance is hard to deny there. Of coarse that gap widens when you factor in a cheap motherboard, and cheap bargain RAM, but if your building a brand new rig like I am you look at all options and weigh the difference in cost compared to what you expect the longevity of the system to hold out to, not to mention your personal usage requirements. Personally I'd take the $100 jump since it means that I don't have to worry about DDR2 getting phased out(not everyone has DDR2 laying around already). If there were Phenom 2's launching using DDR3 right now it would be a different story. At the moment that's still a month away.

Prices on DDR3 are going to keep going down, DDR2 for the most part has bottomed out. It wont get any cheaper, but once production slows down or even stops the price will go up. Alot like I saw happen with DDR1 with my current system, about a month after I got mine slapped together the DDR2 prices dropped like a rock. Did DDR1 get cheaper than the $50 per 2gb that I got it for? Not really, it actually tripled in price up untill a few months ago and Newegg decided to try and get rid of their backstock or something cause it went back down to $50 per kit.

Not entirely, it all depends on where your money is going. For me, getting a descent SLI AMD motherboard($200), Phenom 2 940($275?) and 4gb DDR2-1066($75). Compared to Gigabyte x58($260), i7 920($295), and 3gb DDR3-1333($95-ish). The difference there is a whole $100, sure its 1gb less RAM. But you can always get more down the line, which will only drop in price.

Or, look at it another way...
Your AMD system costs $550
Your Intel system costs $650
This means the Intel system is 18% more expensive.
Is it 18% faster? Most probably, and then some. Which makes it the better value for money.

Or, look at it another way...
Your AMD system costs $550
Your Intel system costs $650
This means the Intel system is 18% more expensive.
Is it 18% faster? Most probably, and then some. Which makes it the better value for money.

so its basically for people who'd rather use that $100 on something else.

thats the average end user. we've already figured out that this is what AMD is aiming for right now.

I'm not out to turn this into another AMD vs. Intel debate, but the cost vs. performance is hard to deny there. Of coarse that gap widens when you factor in a cheap motherboard, and cheap bargain RAM, but if your building a brand new rig like I am you look at all options and weigh the difference in cost compared to what you expect the longevity of the system to hold out to, not to mention your personal usage requirements. Personally I'd take the $100 jump since it means that I don't have to worry about DDR2 getting phased out(not everyone has DDR2 laying around already). If there were Phenom 2's launching using DDR3 right now it would be a different story. At the moment that's still a month away.

Prices on DDR3 are going to keep going down, DDR2 for the most part has bottomed out. It wont get any cheaper, but once production slows down or even stops the price will go up. Alot like I saw happen with DDR1 with my current system, about a month after I got mine slapped together the DDR2 prices dropped like a rock. Did DDR1 get cheaper than the $50 per 2gb that I got it for? Not really, it actually tripled in price up untill a few months ago and Newegg decided to try and get rid of their backstock or something cause it went back down to $50 per kit.

Intel getting better price to performance isn't coming from Core i7.

The big question is can 940 + 790gx mobo + 4 gigs of ddr2 offer same or better performance as q9400/q9550 paired with decent P45 mobo and same 4 gigs of DDR2.

Intel getting better price to performance isn't coming from Core i7.

The big question is can 940 + 790gx mobo + 4 gigs of ddr2 offer same or better performance as q9400/q9550 paired with decent P45 mobo and same 4 gigs of DDR2.

i guess we'll know when the NDA lifts for Phenom II. I have faith that AMD may have gotten to that level. lets hope so. i'm no fan boy (running an Nvidia/Intel system now, lol), but i hate seeing no competition.

does anyone know when the NDA is lifted?

Today at midnight but I don't know which timezone midnight since it's 00:15 CET already and still nothing :D

you are forgeting the fact that this P2 can be thrown into an existing AM2+ board such as mine and i can call it a day then...400$+ saved

They make SLI AM2+ Mobos? I couldn't seem to find any... If you're just throwing that out there as an example, that's cool but if not, I'd like to see this SLI board.

Thanks!

Oh, and I'm really looking forward to the Phenom II. I think can't imagine it being that much slower in the applications I'll be using than the i7, from what I've heard.

They make SLI AM2+ Mobos? I couldn't seem to find any... If you're just throwing that out there as an example, that's cool but if not, I'd like to see this SLI board.

Thanks!

Oh, and I'm really looking forward to the Phenom II. I think can't imagine it being that much slower in the applications I'll be using than the i7, from what I've heard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=am2+sli&x=0&y=0

Plenty of sli boards out there. I am running a sli board with my Phenom 9950.

How do you like your Asus 750a Toxics? I've seen allot of mixed reviews on the whole nForce7 series and always heard the AMD SLI boards are much more painless of a platform than some of the Intel brethren(750i,780i, ect.).

you are forgeting the fact that this P2 can be thrown into an existing AM2+ board such as mine and i can call it a day then...400$+ saved

This is true and for people who have existing AMD AM2+ compatible motherboards I've recommended Phenom's if they wanted to upgrade from an X2. However, beyond that I don't recommend them because you can get better performing Core 2 Quad's for about the same money, even including the motherboard.

this is true. thats one thing we forget.

Nope didn't forget it. That's the one good thing about Phenom and Phenom II. Things will get interesting on the pricing front as LGA775 boards continue to fall in price. (Especially DDR2 boards.) Hell LGA1366 boards are available for at nearly reasonable prices now. There are some that can now be had in the $250 range.

How do you like your Asus 750a Toxics? I've seen allot of mixed reviews on the whole nForce7 series and always heard the AMD SLI boards are much more painless of a platform than some of the Intel brethren(750i,780i, ect.).

I am running the M2N32-SLI Deluxe WIFI edition, which is the 590 chipset with the 9950 (125W edition). Which is superb as a gaming motherboard (2 years running, I would hate to part with it). I did even run sli 8600 gt's in it once as well. Never an issue. Fried the bios chip once, but it is socket'ed in this board, so ASUS sent me a new chip.

I do have some newer nForce boards in some Solaris boxes (cheaper boards). One is the ASUS M3N78-Pro which has the 8300 chipset (I think, I cant find which nforce version it is), and supports Hybrid sli, its a decent board for sure. It has a 9750 Phenom in it, pretty slick.

The other newer board I have is the M2N68-VM 7050PV which is the 7050 / 630A chipset. Another decent board for a Solaris box.

For you perhaps.... But fact of the matter is that Am2+ board owners are a small minority.
Many more people have a Socket 775 system in which they can drop a Core2 Quad and call it a day.
This won't help AMD regain its lost marketshare.

Same with quads on lga775? Please read the whole thread before posting prices, we already talked about this.

Reviews are out! Guess my Q9550 was a good investment, I was a bit disappointed that the phenom 940 was bearly on par with Q9400/Q9450.

A good number of AM2 mobos will support the 95W and 125W Phenoms. AMD seems to have regained some market share already. Point is that the $235 920 and $275 940 and PH1's do compete and offer an alternative to Intel Q6600, Q8200, Q8300, Q9300, Q9400,17 920, and Q9550.

Back