my pc wont power up..

madmax30d

Limp Gawd
I bought a

"COOLER MASTER Centurion RC-534-SKR5 Silver Aluminum & Mesh bezel, SECC chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Max: 400W (Continuous), Peak: 430W Power Supply - Retail"
case

and a "ASUS P5VD2-MX SE LGA 775 VIA P4M890 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard "

and i connected everything but no power. I see a blue light on the mobo but when i hit power button nothing happens.

Also, the power connector from POWERSUPPLY to mobo (for power) is 4 pins less than what the mobo needs.

basically when i plug the ATX power from power supply to motherboard there's 4 sockets left. Do i just plug in a regular pin that fits there, or will the computer work even though thats missing?

basically why wont my pc power up :(

Me thinks you might need an ATX 2.0, or better, power supply, w/ 24-pins.

Basically my power supply is 20 pins but my mobo needs 24pins..

However, theres an extra 4 pin laying around. cant i connect both 20 pin and 4 pin together??

I cant understand how my coolermaster case wont work with this old mobo..

If you havent connected up a 4 pin square power connector to your motherboard somewhere it wont work.
It will either connect to its own separate header or will fit next to the big main motherboard power plug in the big connector. You need to read up which end it should go.

I did, i connected it... i get blue light in mobo.. then the light in front comes up for a second and goes off.

second problem: my cpu fan is 4pin, motherboard is 3pin.. will the CPU FAN NOT working make the pc not even power up at all??

this is killing me

Yes
If your CMOS is set up to not power on if the cpu fan isnt working then it wont power up :)
You cant change the setting unless you can power on so make sure a fan is connected to the CPU fan header.

You can test the PSUs basic function by unplugging it from the motherboard etc but leave it plugged in the mains.
Connect green to black on the big connector and it should power up and stay on.
If that works, you at least know the PSU isnt totally nadgered.

Ok i think my p/s works cuz blue light on my mobo

To make sure its not cpu fan, i plugged in a regular fan on the 3pin connector for CPU fan and it still didnt work..

Any other ideaS?? also for the front connectors(power supply,reset switch,etc,) must i connect all of them for it to work?

from what i knew u could connect only power supply and it would work..

this is annoying.. i reduced everything to minimum and still it wont boot up..

yes, test the psu.

You only need the power switch connected from the front.

Have you plugged the big power connector onto the right pins?
If the clip is on the left, the 4 spare pins should be nearest you/at the bottom.

The pictures of your powersupply show 24 pins. Sometimes the plug is split into a 20-pin piece and a 4-pin piece. So, it looks like all 24 pins you need should be there. There is also a 4-pin CPU power connector on your mobo on the other side of the CPU from you 24-pin socket. So, you should have 24 pins in the 24-pin socket AND a 4-pin in the 4-pin socket. Usually you cannot plug them into the wrong socket unless you use too much force.

I'm pretty sure from what has been said so far that he has a 20 pin connector going into the 24 pin socket.
I wondered if he managed to plug the 20pin connector onto the wrong pins on the 24 pin socket.
(I didnt know any pictures were posted in this thread, non appear on my browser!)

My last motherboard worked fine with just the 20pin connector and the separate 4 pin on its own socket elsewhere. This was handy because my PSU then didnt have another 4 pin connector to make up the extra 4 pins on the 24 pin socket.

It is possible this motherboard requires all the power connectors but I havent been able to find out if that is the case.

Dammit I just read post #3 where madmax30d states there is an extra 4 pin power connector!
Cheers txshepp for making me read it again :)

madmax30d can you plug that into the 24 pin socket along with the 20pin. hopefully it will work.

I looked up the case and MB on the Egg and looked at the pictures. Looks to me like he should have all the plugs and headers needed (24 system power and 4 CPU power). Sometimes the pics aren't always accurate though.

Some of this info may have been stated already, but I'm copying and pasting, lol...

http://www.mechbgon.com/build/cables.html

Scroll down to the power cables.

No, the 4-Pin ATX12V P4 CPU Power connector is NOT keyed the same as extra 4 pins on the 24-pin main ATX connector.

If you have both the 20 OR 24 pin main ATX connector plugged in, AND the 4-Pin ATX12V P4 CPU connector plugged in, then the board should boot fine.

You could test the PSU. Jump start it (on the main atx connector, short the green wire with any black wire, using a paperclip), and see if it stays on. If not, then its a faulty PSU. If it works then proceed.

Setup everything outside of the case, with the mobo on top of its cardboard box. Plug in only the essentials:
- PSU (namely: main 20/24-pin ATX connector and 4-pin ATX12V P4 CPU Connector)
- CPU w/ HSF
- Single stick of ram
- Videocard if there is no onboard video
- Monitor
- Keyboard
- Use a screwdriver if your board doesnt have an onboard power switch
- System speaker/buzzer

Jump the two power switch leads to turn the power on. If it won't post, try different RAM slots. If it won't post, pull out the ram (so no ram in the system) and listen for error beeps. If none, pull the vidcard and listen for error beeps. If none, re-seat the CPU/HSF and try again.

Your case manufacturer lists the PSU in this case as 20+4.
There should be one 20 pin connector and 2 4 pin connectors, one of which will fit into the PSU, and one into the aux 12V power(4pin at the top of the MB)

Second,the newer Intel HSF have 4 pins. 12V/ground/rotation/PWM. Your board has only three pins on the header. You need to figure out how to make that three pin connect to the 4 pin connector leaving out the PWM lead, it should be do-able. Part of the problem....if the cpu fan isnt reistered by the BIOS it will shut down the comp.

The Fan header connector should be keyed for the proper 3-pin placement:

cpu_fan_3pin-hdr_4pin-plug.jpg

Also, here's a pic of the PSU connectors:

PSU_connectors_ATX12V.jpg

a picture is worth a thousand words. Thats what I was trying to say,clumbsily at best.:D

Back