My PC did something thats not supposed 2 b possible

XCLR82XTC

Limp Gawd
what sucks is that i have NO way to prove it. ..(i know some will stop reading there, but im not bs'n...read on)

I was using CAD software. A bit of the rendering software that is built into that is supposed to use CPU rendering. IE slow. i had a bfg 8800gt oc installed for gaming. the MB has a nforce chipset (i think that is what caused this)

Anyways. the computer ALWAYS rendered with 16 threads after i put that card in and it did it stupid fast. i mean like 5-6 times as fast as without the card. before the card it would render with 4 cores and slow. (i have a quad core processor) i thought it was normal operation. ...key word THOUGHT...

the reason i cant prove it: :(..... i got to happy and tried to convert the card to a quadro with the flashing method and ended up bricking the card. (dumass) no biggy, ill get a new one later.. right? ok so fast forward like a year. i finally have to start rendering again and go get a new (used) 8800gt..identical card put it in and the thing will not render with 16 threads only 4. i also should note that during this year i had to completely wipe the pc and start over fresh.

ok, so i call the company and ask why i cant get it to render on 16 threads anymore and they give me the whole its a cpu tasked program etc etc. i tried to explain to them that i KNOW The gpu was rendering. i could do massive images in less that 3 minutes on full 1920x1080 resolution. of course they say its impossible.

aight screw the company. i KNOW what my pc was doing, as most of you know it inside and out. i want to know WHY my comp did this. what trick, path, back door, bug, etc did i stumble on to make this happen?? i know a program not coded to use gpu acceleration shouldnt, but mine did... i dont know why but it did.

one more thing, remember i said i had the nforce 430 chipset?? after many many people saying it was impossible to have 3 monitors running (2 off the 8800 and one off vga on board) mine WOULD do that. i could run 3 monitors no problems. again many people told me that was not supposed to be possible. at least with my pc. sooo. im thinking maybe there is something in this board that is allowing data to be shared in a way its not supposed to be.

if your steal readin..does anyone have any ideas? ill do whatever i can to recreate this but i dont know where to start honestly

My first thought is that the program can take advantage of the CUDA architecture but that for whatever reason when you wiped your computer you erased the CUDA hook up for your program. If you can tell me exactly what the program is I can confirm/deny my guess.

My first thought is that the program can take advantage of the CUDA architecture but that for whatever reason when you wiped your computer you erased the CUDA hook up for your program. If you can tell me exactly what the program is I can confirm/deny my guess.

the program is called photoview 360. its used with solidworks design software. I have verified through the company that it can not leverage cuda architecture.. (as this was my first thought) this is supposed to be CPU based, and ONLY cpu. im lost. i asked the guys why was i able to show 16 processing cores instead of 4 (or even 8 with HTT enable) and they told me i must be wrong.. whatever...

I really can't think of anything else that allow the renderer to hook into the GPU other then CUDA sorry. I'm sure you got the latest drivers for everything and gave it a try already and that's all I can think of.

yeah i went back to the way it was before and couldnt get it to do it again. it was a freak thing i guess..

Back