Sorcerxo

Weaksauce
.: Case :.
.: Floppy :.
.: RAM :.
.: CPU :.
.: Sound Card :.
.: Video Card :.

I was looking into building my second PC this summer and wanted to get a jump on it. I picked out these parts but I still need a mobo that'll go with everything. I'm not really knowledgeable about mbo's so I thought maybe you guys could help me out! :D

NOTE: About the RAM: I'm going to slap in an additional 512MB (2 x 256) in but they're at 2700. Would having 3200 and 2700 in the same mobo slow it down that much?

the ram makes a BIG difference. A 3200+ barton runs a 2.2ghz, it does so by
200mhz(FSB)x11(multiplier)=2.2ghz
now pc2700 = 166mhz = 166mhzx11=1.8ghz which happens to be exactly what a 2500+ barton is (thats not by chance)

You can run you FSB async to your DRAM but on Athlon XP's it does hurt performance.

you'd be much happier and save a few pennies with

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-452&depa=1

or you could go socket 939 and really be future proof (so to speak) for the same price

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-501&depa=1

get a good A64 board and embrace the future. The A64's don't have that performance hit of mismatching FSB and DRAM speeds.

Also, if i was you'd i'd ride it out with that stick of 512 till i could sell the 2x256 and get another matching stick of 512, it just makes life easier and you dont have to worry about compatibility issues.

Any reason you need a sound card? Onboard sound is very good these days, and for casual gaming and music listening it is usually more than enough.

Ditto on the 6600gt, it does own the 9800.

I was also under the impression, and I believe I read it somewhere, that if you decide to install a slower running ram, the Faster ram will defualt to the slower rams speeds, thus making your $$ investment in Good Ram go to waste.

i'd keep less, faster RAM

yes the faster RAM drops to the speed of the slowest module..which is no good =/

the stick already makes it past the 512mb threshold..so it's enough for doing most things..though if you want to have 1 gb, then try both setups and test them to see how much of a difference there will be

That reason I don't want a 1.8?GHz is that I already have one. Heh. I wanted to improve.

I didn't notice that the 6800 was around the same price, thanks for pointin' that out!

(And you were right, I have 2700 RAM because I have a 1.8 CPU right now...)

I am all confused about this 64-bit stuff. All I know is one day everyonei s talking about it. What's the advantage?

are you planning on puttng a new cpu in your existing motherboard? if so, what is it?

a 1.8ghz a64 is quite a bit faster than a 1.8ghz XP.... you don't need the 64 bit yet.. but it doesn't hurt to have it.. there will be 64bit windows coming out.. i think soon, but i don't know..

i wouldn't not buy a 3200+ because you can get a mobile barton for half the price and overclock it to run just as fast... also it is old.. when i built my computer about 9 months ago i debated between a64 and XP.. now it is a no brainer to go with a64 unless you have a socket a motherboard sitting around...

i wouldn't but a 9800 becuase it is old and a 6600 costs the same and is much better..

that's about it..

what do you have now? you didn't list a motherboard so i assume you are planning on reusing the one you have now... but then your current comptuer will be non functional, when all you need is a motherboard..

are you planning on puttng a new cpu in your existing motherboard? if so, what is it?

a 1.8ghz a64 is quite a bit faster than a 1.8ghz XP.... you don't need the 64 bit yet.. but it doesn't hurt to have it.. there will be 64bit windows coming out.. i think soon, but i don't know..

i wouldn't not buy a 3200+ because you can get a mobile barton for half the price and overclock it to run just as fast... also it is old.. when i built my computer about 9 months ago i debated between a64 and XP.. now it is a no brainer to go with a64 unless you have a socket a motherboard sitting around...

i wouldn't but a 9800 becuase it is old and a 6600 costs the same and is much better..

that's about it..

what do you have now? you didn't list a motherboard so i assume you are planning on reusing the one you have now... but then your current comptuer will be non functional, when all you need is a motherboard.

Actually, I was kinda looking into what you guys had in mind for me. As I said, I'm really not knowledgeable about motherboards so can ya help me out?

Now that I think about it, I would like to get into the 64-bit mobo's but a question first: will Windows XP and all it's programs work right with a 64-bit? Is 64 compatible with 32?

Scott, you talk about buying a mobile and OC'ing it... what CPU would this be?

Sorcerxo said:
Actually, I was kinda looking into what you guys had in mind for me. As I said, I'm really not knowledgeable about motherboards so can ya help me out?

Now that I think about it, I would like to get into the 64-bit mobo's but a question first: will Windows XP and all it's programs work right with a 64-bit? Is 64 compatible with 32?

Scott, you talk about buying a mobile and OC'ing it... what CPU would this be?

The Athlon64 is completely compatible with 64-bit and 32-bit, so it will work perfectly fine, and offer some future protection and upgradability.

The Mobile's Scott talks about are the Mobile Athlons, the CPU's meant for laptops, they use lower voltage and run cooler, so are champs with overclocking.

Back