My own little piece of big iron

im2smrt4u

Supreme [H]ardness
Just picked it up tonight! :D

p550.JPG

It is sweet, but LOUD! :eek:

mmmm..... 100 ports of d00m. nice. i will just stick with my single 32 port 10/100 i guess.

that thing must be really loud, my 32 port d-link makes more noise than my shuttle XPC :)

lets see some pics of it set up

[edit] wow, did a little looking on google. is that GIAGABIT???

::drool to the max!

Prominet's Cajun P550 Switch is designed to be an industrial strength solution to the bandwidth needs of large networks. With its six available slots-the managemen t module requires a slot-you can have up to 24 full-duplex Gigabit Ethernet ports, or a combination of Gigabit ports combined with 20-port 10/100 Fast Ethernet ports. This vast capacity should provide sufficient bandwidth for the core networks of most enterprises, and Prominet's easy management should make the Cajun P550 an easy way to get that bandwidth.

that is actually a Lucent Cajun P550, the first gen gigabit switches like my Accelar 1200's

gigabit fiber
10/100 copper

they are nice switches :)

FLECOM said:
that is actually a Lucent Cajun P550, the first gen gigabit switches like my Accelar 1200's

gigabit fiber
10/100 copper

they are nice switches :)
Right.

It is going to be used in our new house, so I'm sure it will be way overkill. :D

im2smrt4u said:
It is going to be used in our new house, so I'm sure it will be way overkill. :D
Just two questions;

How big is this house?
How many ports out of the hundred are you going to use?

memphis_1220 said:
Just two questions;

How big is this house?
How many ports out of the hundred are you going to use?
It's a monster! 3200 square feet plus garage space. We haven't outlined all the ports yet, but probably not 100...heh

|Tormentor| said:
MMMmmm thats a nice looking switch. Is it L2 or L3?
I know it is L3 capable, but I think you have to pay for upgraded software. I haven't read up on everything yet.

Nice, if a bit overkill...

Why would they put the power on the front? Wouldn't it be easier to manage cables with the power on the back. And wouldn't putting power cables right next to data cables pose a slight risk for interference?

corran_horn314 said:

Why would they put the power on the front? Wouldn't it be easier to manage cables with the power on the back. And wouldn't putting power cables right next to data cables pose a slight risk for interference?

That's standard for rackmount equipment. Most (if not all) ports are in the front of the unit so you don't have to go behind the rack to mess with stuff.

Forgive my ignorance then, I've never owned a huge ass switch... pretty much all of the smaller rackmount stuff i've seen have power on the back

corran_horn314 said:

It's so it's easier to hot swap them when one dies, vs going arround back

Back