My only issue with Vista

djnes

Fully [H]
I've had this happen on two separate computers now, so it's either a bug, or something I'm doing. At random times, my Windows Explorer views will change. In XP, I'd set them to detailed view...set my other folder options, and click the button to "Apply to all folders". I did the very same in Vista Ultimate and Vista Business, but the views seem to change back to Large Icons, instead of remaining at details.

I also have a problem where the column widths revert back to the defaults. For example, if I make the name column larger, to show the full song names or file names, the next time I come back to this folder, the column is back to its smaller size.

Aside from these two minor issues, I'm loving Vista.

Vista is one awesome OS. I had to buy a new Wireless card for my machine. But once I get that, I am rolling. :D

I jumped on the Vista Premium 64 bit band wagon last week and like others in this thread, I pretty much have just one issue with Vista.. I get random lock ups and random reboots. When I go into my event viewer, the error is always traced back to Event ID: 5032 ..I can't seem to find ANY solutions to stop it.. Ugh.

I would say I am the poster child for stuff to go wrong with Vista, due to my setup..

680i motherboard - known for its quirkiness...
Intel QX6700 quadcore - definate issues with FSB walls, multiplier issues and 680i compatibility issues...
Windows Vista 64 bit - not a whole bunch of drivers and support like its 64 bit XP brother...
8800GTS video cards x2 running in SLi - a no brainer. Talk about problems under Vista...

So.. I figured I am fairing pretty well with my Event ID of 5032. Anyone have any solutions?

Just throwing this out there: Are you using any 3rd party AV/Firewall software? (Because my dad loves it, I installed Norton on my test bed at home to see how well it played with Vista, and had a lot of random restarts/lockups/weirdness with it...)

I would never accuse djnes of such behavior...the question is for OfficerMartinez who introduced a separate problem in the 5th post.

Good point. But you cant blame me for looking out for him now though, right? :p

Actually, I knew there were anti virus issues so I did NOT install any Anti Virus. I do have a Linksys router however.. In reading what I have so far, it was suggested that the natural Linksys routers firewall and Vista don't play well together.. However, there is no documentation to suggest that this is really the cause.

it was suggested that the natural Linksys routers firewall and Vista don't play well together.. However, there is no documentation to suggest that this is really the cause.

I have had no problems with my Linksys router and Vista at all... but you really should get some type of a/v.. I personally recommend NOD32, works well with Vista.

I have had no problems with my Linksys router and Vista at all... but you really should get some type of a/v.. I personally recommend NOD32, works well with Vista.

Yeah.. I actually have an A/V sitting here right next to me (Latest Edition of Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite).. I fear that if I install it, I will only make the problem worse.. I would like to tackle one issue at a time rather than compounding the problem and making my computer experience(s) even worse.

Yeah.. I actually have an A/V sitting here right next to me (Latest Edition of Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite).. I fear that if I install it, I will only make the problem worse.. I would like to tackle one issue at a time rather than compounding the problem and making my computer experience(s) even worse.

Zone Alarm doesn't work with Vista, yet...so it'll be sitting there a while longer. Also, I was never found of their cobbled together A/V solution - the firewall is great, but the A/V is so-so.

Overall, I have zero problems with Vista.

The problems I do have are little ones like yours (and quite honestly, I can't think of them right now- because they aren't that big of deal at all).

I've noticed the same thing, however. Large (default) icons aren't that big of deal to me, so I just leave them as is.

When I am viewing long listings though (music), I would like it to remember that folder as "List". It just doesn't seem to do it...

Not a big deal, but I wonder why it does that? I wouldn't think it would be a bug (perhaps a setting), but I can honestly not think of any setting that would effect it.

One thing both PCs do have in common is the AV software. I do have Symantec Corporate installed on both computers, but I didn't find anything on their website where others have reported the issue.

Considering this is my biggest issue with Vista, I'm not really worried about it. It's just one of those little annoying things.

I'm necroposting, but it's my own thread, so it's okay. I still can't seem to find a workaround for this. I've tried changing the contents of the directories and nothing seems to work. My folder settings for detail view never seem to hold.

All of my folder stay in detail view mode just fine, have since release.

Just RDP'd in from work to check.

My Computer is set to Tile mode, I kinda like the graphical bars showing how full my various drives are.

All the other folders stay Detail.

Vista 32bit, and Symantec Corporate 10.2

ive been using the norton corporate i think 10.4 edition i get free from my school in vista with no issues, nod32 worked for me too

I've narrowed it down to not be the AV software. I removed Symantec Corporate from one of the PCs completely, and then used AVG's latest free version, and still have the issue.

From what I understand, you're having trouble getting the "Apply to All Folders" thing to work. I may have a similar, but not identical, problem. Is Vista supposed to remember what view mode you switch a particular folder to? I've opened the same folder about five times and switched to "Detail" view each time, and it never remembers. If it's supposed to remember, I may have a similar issue.

That is similiar, yes. If I set the folders to detail view...and then even use the "apply to all folders" option, it doesn't hold the view at all. It defaults back to the large icons view.

This should work, worked for me.
Open regedit and go to:
1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\

Right click and delete:
BagMRU
Bags

2. Reboot PC (the registry keys are automatically recreated)

So far so good...it seems like that worked.

A cookie to you, Quantum.

a registry hack to get something to work properly?? Nice!

Nope. That's a registry hack to get something BACK in properly working order. The problem mentioned by djnes isn't something inherent in Vista. It doesn't happen on my system, and there's been other mention in the thread that some other people aren't seeing it either.

Nice tip, Quantum. I've been unsuccessfully looking for a registry tweak to correct this behaviour up until now.

Well I have Vista Ultimate and no problems in 2 months now. I use Kaspersky Internet Security. The only thing I don't like about Vista is internet speed.:p good tip on the regedit also.

Internet speed? Hmm, does Vista seem sluggish or slow when surfing the web? I am on Vista Ultimate x64 with a 10meg cable connection and it is every bit as fast as XP. What sort of ISP are you using? What is your connection speed?

Back