My Old P35 computer lost it's overclock groove.

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 22, 2006
Messages
11,257
:(

I don't know what has changed but I can't overclock anymore (computer in Sig).

I easily got a 3.2GHz overclock when new, ran it overnight with Prime95, and all was golden.

I don't think it is heat, because now it doesn't make it through POST. It does a double POST and defaults back to standard CPU speed even when I try smaller overclocks.

How does a computer go from easy overclock to impossible?

Any ideas for getting it's grove back?
 
You know they still make new computer parts? I hear they are priced reasonably.
 
Double POST denotes something is/has been reset.
Id clear the CMOS, pull the battery and start over
with OC.
Check your memory too.
 
I found this old thread and read it:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366&page=2

Mentioned issues during post with USB devices on Gigabyte boards. I disconnected most of my USB stuff and tried again, and it Worked!

Running at 3.2GHz again. Started with Intel Burn test and now doing a long run of Prime. But since I never had stability issues with 3.2, I think I have it now.

USB has been a bit flaky. Sometimes I reboot from just plugging USB device in...

Yay :D
 
Back
Top