• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My odd little Fridge

F42TANK

n00b
Joined
Nov 19, 2010
Messages
12
Ok so I have been asking about modding a all in one kit and seem to have the answers I need . Here is my idea I have one of those usb Fridges from think geek. Fan bearing went bad pretty quick so I left it on my desk just cause I thought it looked cool. One day at work while
staring at my computer screen I came up with this idea.

I want to mod this thing with a rad and one of the all in one pump heat sinks. So far I have everything I need except for the all in one kit. I have taken apart the fridge and noticed some weird plate that gets hot on one side but cool on the other. Anyone know what this is?

Also wondering if usb can power the pump from the kit and the 60mm fan.
7490714256_63b3861189_n.jpg
7490714872_7a49e2b012_n.jpg
(The square next to the fan is what I am wondering about.)

7490715716_f9fd94193c_n.jpg
7490716252_5dfca5f603_n.jpg


Will try to keep this up to date still looking for a used kit.
 
Yeah they used to be super popular, Now I don't see anything on them.

They're terribly inefficient, that's why. There are a lot better options if you're willing to spend a little more, and peltiers are only really cheap until you start looking in to what it'll cost for a quality dedicated PSU (not a PC PSU) to drive them.
 
So are bong coolers, But they are still interesting. They are kinda like sports cars, Cheap, fun, interesting, inefficient and at the end of the day you are better off buying a well built econocar. But its fun to tinker.
 
Bong coolers are dirt cheap though. Running a good peltier setup is not.

Also, OP -- USB will not have near enough power (it's 5v and low amperage -- you need 12v and fairly high amperage) to run the pump and fan.
 
That is true op, Not even close to enough power. If i remember correctly a good peltier on average is only 5% efficient.
 
Bong coolers are dirt cheap though. Running a good peltier setup is not.

Also, OP -- USB will not have near enough power (it's 5v and low amperage -- you need 12v and fairly high amperage) to run the pump and fan.

Was afraid of that. Well from the vibe I'm getting it seems like it would not be worth doing. I was really hoping to only use usb. Plugging it in to an outlet defeats the purpose of why I wanted to build this. I will probably just get an fan and put it back together.
 
You can draw .5 amps max from a USB port, enough to run a fan or a very small water pump (I've done both), but not enough to run a pelt...
 
Back
Top