• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

My OC sucks, help me.

Rabid Yellow Dog

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 21, 2003
Messages
153
My system:

2.4C SL6WF
Abit IS7 1.0 BIOS 17
2x 36 gig Raptors RAID 0
2x 512 Mushkin pc3500 Level II
400 watt Raidmax PSU
SLK900U + 92mm Smartfan LED
4 case fans
GeForce2 mx 400 (for now):p

Using the 5:4 divider and CAS 2-2-2-7, I get BSODs and reboots at anything over 240 fsb. VCore is set to 1.6 in bios (board undervolts), vDimm 2.8. I thought I would get 250 fsb at least. At 250 fsb I can run Memtest86+ and get 0 errors. What's wrong?
 
Im having almost the exact same issue.

But on your ram timings, you might relax them some. 2:3:2:6 would probably be better. BH-5 ram can do the 2-2-2 business, CH-5 can't from my observation.

I have tried almost every ram timing, redid my GAT's, voltages, etc, etc etc.

Im hearing Abit just sucks with CH-5 Ram and it likes to brickwall at 240+ in many cases.

I can run 250/200 with Corsair TwinX PC3200 C2PT 512x2 on a 5:4 divider, get into memtest86 and run it 10 runs and get 0 errors.

I get into Windows, and It will be RELATIVELY stable. I can bench PCmark04, get an excellent score. I can run all the Sandra tests, Pi test. As soon as I try 3dmark03, syntax errors, wont run it.

Most of the time I'll eventually get a BSOD or random program crashes.

Also, I'll get weird errors like when I hover over my favorites in IE, a black extension will be part of the address, just black void like the text is supposed to extend but it should'nt.

I dunno. I thought it was the ram I have, memtest86 says its not. I've come to the conclusion it's Abit, especially from the issues all over their boards about CH-5 and memory compatibility.

This is the last Abit product I will buy.
 
Originally posted by SilverSliver
Also, I'll get weird errors like when I hover over my favorites in IE, a black extension will be part of the address, just black void like the text is supposed to extend but it should'nt.

I got that with a ForceWare driver update... I don't think it has anything to do with your OC.
 
I'm starting to think that its voltage related. When set at 1.6 volts in the bios (read 1.55 by CPU-Z), I got a bsod as soon as I got into windows. I upped it to 1.625 (read 1.616) I was able to get into windows.
 
Originally posted by tehandydumke
dude ur lucky i cant get mine past 225fsb w00t
Thats because you are on a shuttle. That wouldn't make me feel any better even if you were on the same setup as me.
 
Originally posted by angrybusdriver
I got that with a ForceWare driver update... I don't think it has anything to do with your OC.

strangely enough, that is in fact caused by the folding@home client.

try it.
 
do you have access to a better psu you can try? that'd be my first bet (based on all your other components) unless your temps are absolute crap. speaking of bad temps, try reseating your hsf. it might just help.
 
Originally posted by rogue_jedi
do you have access to a better psu you can try? that'd be my first bet (based on all your other components) unless your temps are absolute crap. speaking of bad temps, try reseating your hsf. it might just help.
I do not have an extra psu and even with the inaccurrate Abit temperature sensor, I only get ~50C under load and overclocked.
 
As I've found out, voltages do not make much of a difference. Could the northbridge be overheating? I have the 1.0 board with the small heatsink. I was looking at the MCX159. D'ya think it would help?
 
try loosining your ram timings, i had to do that to mine, (and i only run 207FSB) i have mine at 2:3:3:7 i believe. whenever i ran at 2:2:2:7 i would BSOD and crash a lot, i would try this as it's the easiest to test.
 
I set CAS to 3-4-4-8 just to be extra safe. Passed Memtest. Instead of bsod and reboot during prime95, I got this message:

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

What does that mean?
 
Originally posted by boshi
strangely enough, that is in fact caused by the folding@home client.

try it.
Ditto, it's the graphical client that caused the problems for me. Switching to the text-based console client fixed everything.
 
Well at 245 fsb, 5:4 3-4-4-8 I got a bsod the instant I tried to run 3dmark2001. Next tiime in windows I got the "Recovered from error" message and the error report contains these files:

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini022604-02.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\RABIDY~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

So, with high voltages, low temps, loose timings, and still errors, all I can think of is overheating northbridge, glitch with Geforce2, or PSU troubles. What do you guys think? (And you can't say, "Loosen your timings" anymore );)
 
could be your PSU, what do the voltages look like in MBM?
if the voltages are fine, it could just be your CPU, not all 2.4Cs OC like mad..
 
Voltages are 3.28, 5.05, 11.73. Seems fine.

Right now I'm sitting at 250 fsb with no bsods or reboots after running 2dmark and prime95. I do get the "rounded 0.5, expected <0.4" error in prime. I only get that message while running the blend test which is supposed to test the ram the most. Ram is at 2.8v 3-4-4-8 with no GAT. WHAT IS GOING ON!?!??!!?
 
your voltages are fine, i think you just didn't get a good ocing chip...
 
Back
Top