My next upgrade will be a GPU!

Tough choice. I love MSI for their cooling, but the Toxic edition from Sapphire did really well in the hardocp review.

You're telling me. I love my rig and I know if I upgrade to a better single GPU I'll be more then happy with it. Crossfire just isn't for me. I like my 6870, but the two GPU's I have listed kick my 6870 in the ass as for a single GPU.

So what's one to do? I'll order it next week sometime.

I had to choose between a 560 Ti and a 6950, I went with the toxic 6950 and Im happy with the one I got. When the price point of the gtx 560 Ti is around 200-220 its a lot more attractive a deal, but when its the same price as the 6950 toxic (AR) then its an easy choice- get the 6950. Be aware not all of them unlock or overclock to the same speeds as the [H]ardOCP review, but they are still one great card at default settings. I normally like nVidia cards a little better than ATI, but this is a better value IMO.

Dont get me wrong, the gtx 560 Ti is a great card, but you can find deals on them for that 200-220 range and thats about were they belong.

This is a very tough choice for me. But the 6950 is $20 more then the 560 Ti. Both having 2GB each.

The Toxic card definitely, I like the cooler on the MSI as others have said. The toxic definitely has the better feature set.

Are you getting a good price on your current card? Neither seem to be a huge upgrade from what you currently have. I went with this the other day for my new build: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125385&Tpk=gigabyte 6950 2 free games and a $20 MIR. You can sell the games and have the card come in under $200, then overclock it for 6970 level performance. At your resolution you won't notice the difference between 1 and 2GB from what I read on here.

Are you getting a good price on your current card? Neither seem to be a huge upgrade from what you currently have. I went with this the other day for my new build: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125385&Tpk=gigabyte 6950 2 free games and a $20 MIR. You can sell the games and have the card come in under $200, then overclock it for 6970 level performance. At your resolution you won't notice the difference between 1 and 2GB from what I read on here.

Good point! Have you had a chance to use that card yet with your new build? I usually buy all my PC stuff at NewEgg. Price does matter though.

Only matter with that card is that it's huge. I'm not sure it'll fit in my case!

Last edited:
Hands down the 6950! The toxic 6950 is KNOWN to unlock to a 6970 and OC's extremely well!! Its more than an obvious choice!!

Good luck finding the 6950 Toxic in stock. It's always out of stock at Newegg when I check. Even with the auto-notify email, it's out of stock by the time I reach the site.

Good luck finding the 6950 Toxic in stock. It's always out of stock at Newegg when I check. Even with the auto-notify email, it's out of stock by the time I reach the site.

That's so true. I have mine on auto-notify email as well. They are very hard to get a hold of. Then what other 6950 should I look into if I'm out of luck finding me a Toxic 6950.

Since we know now I'll be most likely getting a 6950.

You're telling me. I love my rig and I know if I upgrade to a better single GPU I'll be more then happy with it. Crossfire just isn't for me. I like my 6870, but the two GPU's I have listed kick my 6870 in the ass as for a single GPU.

So what's one to do? I'll order it next week sometime.
um a 6950 or gtx560 Ti is not all that much faster than your 6870. it is only about 10-20% increase which is a joke for a gpu upgrade.

um a 6950 or gtx560 Ti is not all that much faster than your 6870. it is only about 10-20% increase which is a joke for a gpu upgrade.

Yea, I'd say it would come down to the cost. If he can get a good price for his 6870, then it might make sense. Otherwise I'd wait for the 7xxx series.

those are rather expensive. a gtx 570 costs that much when on sale.

but between 560ti and 6950 i would go with 6950 despite how much i hate amd gpus.

I have to say thinking about it clearly I agree with canondale. If your performance on the 6870 is so poor that you need a small upgrade I'd make sure to overclock the crap out of it. Granted you can overclock the 6950 but then you'll be right where you started more than likely. If your 6950 unlocks you'll get an even better difference but nothing that to me seems worth it. I'd honestly hold on to what you have until the next gen stuff comes out sometime in Q1 of next year.

If battlefield 3 is kicking your cards ass, lower the in game settings for a few months.

yeah I would just stay with the 6870 and current 1680x1050 monitor for now. once the 7 series come out you can make a much more worthwhile change at that time.

So basically I should just hold out until the 7xxx series of GPU's get released. And also wait to see what Nvidia might have up their sleeve for Q1 in 2012.

If that's the case I might as well just upgrade my rig to Sandy Bridge in the mean time. I pretty much have my i5 750 and mobo sold to a friend of mine. So by selling off my i5 750 and MSI mobo I should be in the clear to go ahead and get my new CPU/mobo combo and continue to use my 6870 until Q1 gets here!

So basically I should just hold out until the 7xxx series of GPU's get released. And also wait to see what Nvidia might have up their sleeve for Q1 in 2012.

If that's the case I might as well just upgrade my rig to Sandy Bridge in the mean time. I pretty much have my i5 750 and mobo sold to a friend of mine. So by selling off my i5 750 and MSI mobo I should be in the clear to go ahead and get my new CPU/mobo combo and continue to use my 6870 until Q1 gets here!

Pretty much, although I would wait for bulldozer to drop on Oct 12th or so. See what that has to offer too. The bang/buck may be very good there and there is still a chance they will bulldoze the sandy bridge over :D

lol, you are certainly in upgrade mode. personally I would keep the i5 750 until Ivy Bridge instead of going to Sandy Bridge right now. if you already have a deal going with your friend and it works out then so be it though.

The 6950 is a better choice in this case despite me usually edging towards nvidia cards when it comes to gaming

overclock the shit out of it, then again i have an 6870 that I got to 6950 speed overclocked.

Back