my next project - got case size covered. :D

weapon--

Gawd
I recently picked up a cabinet from a periphonics VPS/is telecom and data server. it is double depth and has 19" racks for component mounting on both sides.

overall size?
pic to put it into perspective:
reszda1.jpg

in the lower left of the pic, you can see a standard mid-tower sized case.

the silver box on the top of the cabinet is the PSU in a rack mount -- the PSU is a Lambda Industrial Wattbox -- the 1500watt model.

I checked the space I have to work with and I can fit two phase change loops and some watercooling in this cabinet in addition to a 5U and the rest of the stuff that is still in the cabinet with no probs. of course, it will get some other improvements before anything goes into it.

hmmmm....I am going to have to put some serious thought into the mods that go into this one.

Originally posted by CaNaDian PyRo
I could like... live in there.
:eek: Seriously!
$65 !! Who's soul did you sell for such a great deal!
That thing is awesome.

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
:eek: Seriously!
$65 !! Who's soul did you sell for such a great deal!
That thing is awesome.

LOL.
actually, I got 2 different cabinets for approx $125 after tax.
the other one was a Sun Mass Storage cabinet that is actually quite a bit larger than the one in the pic above.
The Sun is for my bro's cooling system and some other gear we are going to add to it...how big is it? we had to take doors off of hinges to get the damn thing in his house...and we still broke the facing on one door with it. It demolished the door facing and didn't even scratch the case.

so far, his Sun has a 700gph pump, a heatercore with shroud, a PSU and a 5 gallon res in the bottom shelf and it still has a lot of room left in that shelf -- it is maybe 15% of the way full based on the empty room left in the rest of the cabinet.

both cabinets are maybe 96-98% perfect on the exterior - couple of small scratches but no dents or anything like that. the interiors on both are as new...all the screws, racks, etc. are there and no marks on anything.

this is about the same as his Sun cabinet:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3072165109&category=11209
the outside of that case is virtually identical to his.

we were about half lit when we were moving his cabinet into his house and laughing our @$$es off at the size of it -- if one more person would have asked when we were planning on hacking into the pentagon while we were trying to get this thing thru his front door, I would have smacked them.... ;)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Originally posted by weapon--
if one more person would have asked when we were planning on hacking into the pentagon while we were trying to get this thing thru his front door, I would have smacked them.... ;)
LOL I can't wait to see it up and running...with some mods and pics?;)

man o man... one word .. 'potential'. I hope to God you spend like 6 months turning this beast into the best shit I've ever seen. like 3-4" wc tubing... the works...

post progress pics.

now see if THAT was your case, then I could understand wanting a smaller case for lan parties. The people with a regular tower case that want a shuttle make me sad.

so why do you have phase change loops and a freaking radeon 8500 graphics card?

Originally posted by kronchev
so why do you have phase change loops and a freaking radeon 8500 graphics card?
lol. because I am way too lazy, drunk or busy building phase change loops, waterblocks, modded heatercores, 2-room watercooling systems or other such shenanigans to update my sig.
:p

Originally posted by Grammar Nazi
now see if THAT was your case, then I could understand wanting a smaller case for lan parties. The people with a regular tower case that want a shuttle make me sad.
I think you are on to something here....
That gives me a perfectly valid argument to use on the wife -- I clearly can't lug this bastage that I am about to sink a half a billion dollars into to LAN parties as it will not fit in any vehicle I have regular access to and it will weigh a fricken ton.

after I finish this, I will obviously have to start building a new and improved LAN box of some sort. :D

anyway, I re-measured the bottom half of the case and I think a cascade will fit in there with no real probs. it would be a tight fit but I think it would work...provided I can find the right parts at semi-decent prices. the refrigerants for it would level the bank account though.

more interesting discoveries after pulling the case a bit further apart: it had six 120mm fans mounted horizontally in a rather nice rack - I pulled that apart and it turns out they are all metal framed 115v fans. no clue what the airflow is as of yet but I suspect this rack of 120s will work nicely to push air thru condensers if I make a shroud for it.

more to follow.

every time i see people with these monsters i feel the desire to aquire one myself
but then i always ask myself this question, and strangly enough i never ask the person who has the monster
so here goes....

what the hell do you do with such a thing? :eek:
and does it make money? :cool:
if yes, how? :D

Originally posted by Da_Bian
what the hell do you do with such a thing? :eek:
and does it make money? :cool:
if yes, how? :D

answering these in order...

what the hell do you do with such a thing?
cram massive amounts of hardware and cooling gear into it to see how fast a system can run well below ambient temps.
also good for making the lights flicker when you turn it on.

and does it make money?
holy h311! you mean there are computers out there that make money?? I thought they existed for the sole purpose of sucking the life out of bank accounts. :confused:

lol. when this one is finished it could prolly be sold for quite a bit more than I will have in it just because I got such a deal on a lot of the parts but I doubt I will sell it. some of the past systems have gone out the door to fund new systems but I primarily build them for the fun of building them. power tools, torches, refrigerants, manifold gauges, etc. = muahahahaha.

day job = funding for such silliness.

Back