My new PC build

Here are the two sides etched. The aquarium will have the hayabusa symbol and the waterfall will have the peregrine falcon with its wings spread out.
img0981mj.jpg

img0979xw.jpg
 
The aquarium is coming together. It isn't a simple box because I needed it to fit around the PSU's in the back. The first picture is of it held up in its proposed place and the second picture is it held up against the outside panel that it will be attached to next.
aquafront.jpg

aquaback.jpg

Tomorrow, I should have pictures of the waterfall side for you!
 
how are you fusing the acrylic together? I worked in a molding injection plant when i was 20 and we had to sonic weld plastic parts together, but i imagine that sonic welding such a large surface area would be nearly impossible unless you had a horizontal bar like a press break to sonic weld it, and even then i don't know.
 
how are you fusing the acrylic together?

I'm using a solvent called Weld-on 4 and a syringe. It fuses the acrylic together rather nicely. A great website covering the technique can be found here. It takes less than a minute to fuse and 24 hours to cure.

Sonic welding sounds interesting though. I imagine that it is rather suited to an industrial setting.
 
essentially we used what looked like a soldering iron to do the sonic welding, however it didn't use heat to fuse the plastics it used ultrasonic sound waves (or so they said). I had good enough hearing at the time that I could hear when it was being used (even from half way across the production floor). In fact, I wore earplugs when I had to use it because I felt like the sound gave me headaches, quick wiki on it. Thanks for the heads up on the solvent
 
These pictures are of me routering the contoured sides of the waterfall. I made the shape out of wood first and then used it as a guide.
waterfallsiderounter.jpg

waterfallside.jpg


Here is the finished waterfall before attaching it to the outside panel. Since it is clear, it is hard to see. Once we add lights, it (and especially the peregrine) will show up better.
waterfalldone.jpg


Here are two pictures of the aquarium after being attached its outside panel. The second picture is a close up of the sand box under the aquarium. I'm going to be filling it with craft sand in a (hopefully) nice design.
aquadone.jpg

aquasandbox.jpg
 
This build looks extremely excessive, arduous, overly complicated, and unusual. Love it! :)
 
The holes for the water lines have been drilled and tapped in the waterfall.
Inlet at the top:
controlcenter001.jpg


Outlet at the bottom:
controlcenter002.jpg


The waterfall is now complete except for adding the hinges. A leak test showed no leaks!
controlcenter003.jpg


The mechanics of the control center for opening and closing the keyboard tray and the control panel and display are in place. I just need to add the servos, sand it and add the trim (to take care of gaps, etc.).
Closed:
controlcenter004.jpg


Contol panel and display partly open:
controlcenter008.jpg


Control panel and display all the way open:
controlcenter009.jpg


Keyboard slightly open:
controlcenter005.jpg


Keyboard partly open:
controlcenter006.jpg


Keyboard all the way open:
controlcenter007.jpg


Once I get the servos installed, I plan on uploading a video of it in action.
 
Here are a couple pictures of the mechanism inside that lifts the control panel while the display is opening.
Closed:
ccmechanism001.jpg


Partly open:
ccmechanism002.jpg


All the way open:
ccmechanism003.jpg
 
WOW .............. what the heck!

I am convinced had you had this built and completed earlier, Nasa wouldn't have grounded the Shuttle program.
 
The "cat burglar" that comes to thieve your computer from your home has got another thing coming with this.
 
This is a great system. Why such a small display though?

That 8" touchscreen monitor will be just for the case--for monitoring temperatures, overclocking, controlling servos, etc. He could use it for running other programs too, but he will be hooking the case up to a three monitor setup.
 
youve got some serious wood working skill, i must say im envious!
keep up the crazy good work, wow this is going to be insane when its done, lol
 
where is the evga logo?
i noticed you omitted there name from your parts list, surly you aint sulking about it cos they aint worth it
 
I've been working on the back panel of the display. It needed to be removeable so that Falcon could change out/access the internal components. At the same time I couldn't have any screws on the outside so as to keep the sleek appearance. (When the display is closed the back of it is then part of the outside of the case.) So I made all these little tabs so that I could slide the panel on and off and still be kept on tight.
Tabs on the inside of the display case:
displaypanel001.jpg


Tabs on the inside of the panel:
displaypanel011.jpg

displaypanel010.jpg


When put together--outside and then inside (still needs sanding):
displaypanel014.jpg

displaypanel016.jpg


This is of the air intake holes cut into the floor of the case. These will directly feed the front fans:
displaypanel002.jpg


The electrical connections for the Baffle Box have been lined up and secured:
displaypanel004.jpg

displaypanel003.jpg
 
The big thing I'm working on now is wire management. We didn't want the mess of wires inside the case detracting from the components. At the same time, I wanted something that would look nice. At first it might be hard to see how this part will come together, but the pictures will probably make more sense as this part of the build progresses.

There are three main parts to the wire management system: Right side of the Baffle Box, Left side of the Baffle Box, and Front of the Baffle Box. The Right and Left sides of the Baffle Box will cover the wires coming from the PSU's along with the wires from the rear fans. The front of the Right and Left sides could also be used to channel some of the water cooling lines if Falcon so desired. The Front section is to cover the wires coming out of the Baffle Box. It will also be a "bridge" between the Baffle Box and the front of the case. Thus the wires going from the control panel will also go through this area and as well as the wires going up to the fan controllers.

Front section "bridge":
displaypanel005.jpg


Sides of "bridge":
displaypanel006.jpg


Sides mounted on "bridge":
displaypanel009.jpg


bases for Right and Left sides:
wiremanagment1001.jpg

You can also see some of the little tabs I've been making so that all of this should be easy to get on and off to service.

Front "bridge" in place and Right side base:
wiremanagment1003.jpg


Right side panel mounted via tabs to base:
wiremanagment1004.jpg


Some wires routed behind Right side panel to test use:
wiremanagment1006.jpg

The top of the panel has a PVC pipe cut in half to cover the top and give it a nice look (it will be painted!).

Here is the top where the motherboard will be showing how the wires will come out of the Right side panel.
wiremanagment1007.jpg


I'll upload some more pictures later.
 
Here is the extended top to the Baffle Box which will allow more air in to the radiators:
wiremanagment2008.jpg


Some more pictures of the wire management:
wiremanagment2003.jpg

wiremanagment2004.jpg

wiremanagment2005.jpg

wiremanagment2002.jpg

wiremanagment2007.jpg


Couple notes about the wire management:
The Front section is so complex in part to the fact that I have to work around the air intake for the Baffle Box.
The "bridge" was also necessary to provide rigidity to the front of the case.
There is a space (not pictured) just below the panel on which the motherboard tray rests, but above the Baffle Box, where wires can be passed directly from one side of the Baffle Box to the other without being seen.
 
I love this build! You're gonna be famous for it man!!! I am confused however why you obviously spent an exorbitant amount of money, yet elected only for 2gb dimms??? lol.
 
This build is going to be legend. Absolutely epic so far. CANNOT wait to be baffled by the box upon completion. Outstanding effort, man! Keep at it.
 
Just to let you know that I am working on this still here are a couple pictures of the sanding and priming that I'm doing:
primer002.jpg

primer001.jpg
primer003.jpg

Sorry that last picture is a bit bright (that's what you get with white primer out in full sun!).
 
Sorry I've not gotten much progress done of late. Water leak test on the aquarium was a negative this time, so that is good. First time, there was one small leak.

Here are pictures of the hinges in place for the aquarium and similar ones are on the other side for the waterfall:
doorhinges001.jpg

doorhinges002.jpg

The bottom one just inserts into a hole in the floor of the case. The top one though inserts into that top "tab" held down by three screws. Once the aquarium is in place you will see that this will allow the aquarium to hinge outward. The aquarium will be removable by removing those three screws on top. Then the "tab" will come off and the aquarium can be lifted off the bottom hinge.

Here is a picture of more pieces being sanded and primed:
doorhinges003.jpg


This one is for fun from awhile back! This is of me inside the area of the case where the Baffle Box slides into. I had to screw some screws in from the inside, so I just crawled right in!
computercase3richardfit.jpg
 
Update with pictures coming tomorrow (Friday)! Sorry it has taken so long guys. There has been a lot going on in my life of late that has taken priority.

I have to say publicly, that even though I have let Falcon down by taking so long on this case, that he has been outstanding throughout the entire time. His words of encouragement concerning my wife's health issues and allowing me to make my family a priority have been greatly appreciated. I couldn't have asked for a better customer!

The case is not done yet, but it is very very close! Tomorrow I'm hoping to post some pictures of some of the changes, the glossy black paint job, and maybe even a video of the servos in action!
 
Here are some pictures of the front air intakes and their filters. I designed them so that Falcon can turn the tabs and clean/replace the air filters when needed.
julyprogress005.jpg

julyprogress006.jpg


This is a close up of one of the rear vents. No need for filters here since these are all exhaust ports.
julyprogress003.jpg


Here are some pictures of various parts drying after having been painted black and then lacquered.
julyprogress002.jpg

julyprogress001.jpg

julyprogress004.jpg

julyprogress008.jpg

julyprogress007.jpg


More to come!
 
Falcon had asked for sound dampening on the rear exhaust fans and the PSU's. Here you can see the sound dampening mats installed in the rear ductwork. The second picture is with the cover on with the mounting points for the fans and 1 PSU. The other side is similar but has places for two PSU's.
julyprogress009.jpg

julyprogress010.jpg
 
Piranhas I hope. them fish are cool

Shhhh, you can't sell Piranha's (in California anyway), you can sell Pacu's though...which is the same thing with another name, like the Red Belly Pacu (Piranha).

Some laws are so damn stupid.
 
Here is Friday's update. There are some more pictures of various parts as they were drying and the right side's rear ductwork. The final pictures are of the case mostly put back together! The pieces are rather dusty (due to the work environment) but wipe off rather nicely. The acrylic sides need to be trimmed to fit right and the internal wiring needs to be done next. We're getting close!
julyprogress014.jpg

julyprogress015.jpg


julyprogress011.jpg

julyprogress012.jpg

julyprogress013.jpg


julyprogress019.jpg

julyprogress018.jpg

julyprogress017.jpg

julyprogress016.jpg


There are some other parts that need to be trimmed so that things move smoothly, but overall, I hope to be done next week! You might notice some slight gaps in the seams up front (between the side panels and the front panels). That is because the inner tabs that pull those panels shut were drying from being painted and weren't in use when I took these pictures. They will go back on tonight.
 
Quick update with videos!

Here is a close up of the top hinge for the waterfall wall. The bottom hinge and the aquarium side are all hinged in the same way.
augustprogress001.jpg


Here is the video of the waterfall side opening and closing on that hinge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT_HKdBMCPo

Here is a close up of the servo and inner workings of the control center.
augustprogress004.jpg

I'm still tweaking it, but it is very very close!

Here is the video of one of my test sessions with it running.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnH6quhQUt0

The assembly for supporting the motor for moving the keyboard in and out is drying and I should be able to post pictures and video of it in action tomorrow!
 
I've been working on the wiring of late.

Here is the wiring for the inside of the Baffle Box. 36 sleeved fan wires hooked up to the two 25pin D-sub's along with the wiring for the two LED light bars!
octoberprogress006.jpg


Switches in the control console (can you guess which part still needs to be painted?!).
octoberprogress001.jpg

octoberprogress002.jpg


Backside of control console as switches are starting to be wired to the microcontroller.
octoberprogress008.jpg


I'm making custom length (36" apiece!) individually sleeved wiring for the fans between the Baffle Box and the fan controllers at the front of the case. Oh, and I have to make more for the case fans to connect to the controllers (four controllers in all!).
octoberprogress007.jpg
 
Back
Top