My new Linux build

Deadjasper

[H]ard|Gawd
My main box started acting up recently. More often than not It took 3 attempts before it made it thru POST. Most likely bad caps but I haven't opened it up yet to check. I decided to build another before it fails completely.

It turned out to be a bit different for your normal desktop. Started with a Supermicro X10SRL-F motherboard I found on eBay. Being a cheap bastard I went with an Intel E5 2620 v3 for $18. Was planning to go with a better CPU after the dust settled but I'm impressed by the speed of this $18 CPU and think I'll stick with it for now. Picked up 32GB of DDR4 Ram, 2 x 16GB for $68. Had a Quadro 2000 on hand along with all the other needed parts. Used an old Fractal Design R4 to hold it all. Loaded Mint Cinnamon 19.3. Total out of pocket was $226.

P101043222.JPG

Mazzspeed

2[H]4U
My main box started acting up recently. More often than not It took 3 attempts before it made it thru POST. Most likely bad caps but I haven't opened it up yet to check. I decided to build another before it fails completely.

It turned out to be a bit different for your normal desktop. Started with a Supermicro X10SRL-F motherboard I found on eBay. Being a cheap bastard I went with an Intel E5 2620 v3 for $18. Was planning to go with a better CPU after the dust settled but I'm impressed by the speed of this $18 CPU and think I'll stick with it for now. Picked up 32GB of DDR4 Ram, 2 x 16GB for $68. Had a Quadro 2000 on hand along with all the other needed parts. Used an old Fractal Design R4 to hold it all. Loaded Mint Cinnamon 19.3. Total out of pocket was $226.

View attachment 213047

Nothing wrong with older workstation grade hardware, I run dual Xeons myself and dont experience any issues with performance.

B00nie

[H]F Junkie
Since I don't game, something like this is perfect for me. :D:p
My current gaming box has an overclocked Pentium G3258 in it and it runs all the games I want to run just fine. Granted my gaming consists of 1-2 drunken hours a month lately.

Deadjasper

[H]ard|Gawd
I'll admit I do play FreeDoom once in a while. Would play more if there were more levels.

Mazzspeed

2[H]4U
I just found Quake Live and I'm total crap at it, it seems that as you get older you just can't get your eye in the game.

ThatITGuy

Limp Gawd
I just found Quake Live and I'm total crap at it, it seems that as you get older you just can't get your eye in the game.
I have tried to stick to PvE games. I know part of it is that i just have too many other things to do, so I cannot sit and play for hours on end to get better. There is also a part of me that remembers being able to jump into a game of Quake after long periods of not playing and still destroying people with the rail gun. I recently tried Fortnite, and found that even more frustrating, as the whole building while shooting/being shot at thing is just too much for my old brain to process.

Mazzspeed

2[H]4U
I have tried to stick to PvE games. I know part of it is that i just have too many other things to do, so I cannot sit and play for hours on end to get better. There is also a part of me that remembers being able to jump into a game of Quake after long periods of not playing and still destroying people with the rail gun. I recently tried Fortnite, and found that even more frustrating, as the whole building while shooting/being shot at thing is just too much for my old brain to process.

Ah, the joys of aging [not].. ;)