My new **FINAL** setup

Nightrain

Limp Gawd
As said before my brother is in the market for a new computer, and I am comparing the system I could build for him to prebults. I used bits and pieces of the Anandtech guide. He is using the system for burning cd's, intenet, and word documents. He also plans to do little to no gaming (hence the cheap card). Anyway here it is:

Case: Antec Black ATX ~$69

Mobo: Shuttle "AN35N-Ultra" ~$53

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ ~$60

Video card: CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 ~$52

RAM: Corsair Value Select 512 DDR PC3200 ~$82

Hard drive: Seagate 160GB 7200RPM IDE ~$100

CDRW drive(s): Lite-On 52X32X52 Internal EIDE ~$29

Floppy drive: SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5inch ~$10

Misc:

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition w/ SP2 ~$94

Logitech Internet Keyboard & Mouse Bundle ~$20

Total: $569

I don't see any issues with it except if he does a lot of burning, might want to try the plextor premiums

As far as the Lite-On berners go there awesome cdrw drive I swear by them and I Bern lots of CD’s the plextor premiums drives are probably good to but the Lite-On drives are all I buy along with my plus iv seed a lot of cdrw drives die i have never seen a lite-on out

ozzman39 said:
As far as the Lite-On berners go there awesome cdrw drive I swear by them and I Bern lots of CD’s the plextor premiums drives are probably good to but the Lite-On drives are all I buy along with my plus iv seed a lot of cdrw drives die i have never seen a lite-on out
Yeah, Lite-On drives rock. I currently have 3 and haven't had any problems with any of them.
The 52x burner is a tad loud but when you get to those speeds I would think it would be not matter what brand you buy.

lol who cares about noise in a drive well i gess it depends on the person yea at that spee dyour not ganna find a quiet drive

i would get a mobile XP... not a sempron.. the 2200+35w is $15 more.. and can be oc'ed a lot.. and has an unlocked multi... twice the cache.. a lot of improvements...

I'd spend an extra $35 and get an AthlonXP 2500+. But it's your $35, not mine.

Buckus said:
I'd spend an extra $35 and get an AthlonXP 2500+. But it's your $35, not mine.

That is a very good $35 investment however. I have 4 AMD XP-Mobile 2500+

All hit 2.6, but I run them at 2.4-2.5 ghz

For my brother.

As said before my brother is in the market for a new computer, and I am comparing the system I could build for him to prebults. I used bits and pieces of the Anandtech guide. He is using the system for burning cd's, intenet, and word documents. He also plans to do little to no gaming (hence the cheap card). Talked to my brother today, and I changed a couple things. Final setup (not going to order it for a few days so if you have suggestions please tell me soon) Anyway here it is:

Case:

Antec Black ATX ~$69

Mobo:

ASUS "A7V8X-X" ~$49

CPU:

AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.833GHz ~$83

Video card:

Jetway ATI RADEON 9600LE ~$52

RAM:

Corsair Value Select 512 DDR PC3200 ~$82

Hard drive:

Seagate 160GB 7200RPM IDE ~$100

CDRW drive(s):

Lite-On Black 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive ~$45

Floppy drive:

SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5inch ~$10

Misc:

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition w/ SP2 ~$94

Logitech Internet Keyboard & Mouse Bundle ~$20

Total: $602

-edit-

Replacing the 5200 with a 9600LE which brings the total to....

$616

Also links fixed

looks good - you didn't mention a PSU, so i'd go and get a decent one (i personally found cheap ones to cause instability more often than anything). an enermax or antec true x, maybe?

and instead of one big 160GB drive i'd always get two 80GB ones - to have one for backups of important data, mirroring or for plan copying.

vid-card-wise i don't dare to give you advice, in fear of a flame-war-zone ;)

the Lite-On drive died twice on me, now i got an LG one. don't know if i was just unlucky, though...

wizzackr said:
looks good - you didn't mention a PSU, so i'd go and get a decent one (i personally found cheap ones to cause instability more often than anything). an enermax or antec true x, maybe?

and instead of one big 160GB drive i'd always get two 80GB ones - to have one for backups of important data, mirroring or for plan copying.

the Lite-On drive died twice on me, now i got an LG one. don't know if i was just unlucky, though...
you said exactly what i was thinking while reading his post :cool:

Thats not a good price for you HDD.

160 for 100$ on IDE ? Don't buy that. If you shop online you can find the exact HDD for about $40 with rebates :) Dig some more.

wizzackr said:

1. The case comes with a PSU (a pretty good one at that)

2. Raid's are always good, but I think $100 for a 160GB hdd is fine (unless you can give me a link to a cheaper one

2. I am switching the 5200 to a 9600LE. Faster core speed and memory

3. I have been using Lite ON for a while. I loved them. i am using a Lite-On combo drive for my current rig and I love it

Thanks for all your input!

1. Dont get PC3200 memory, since ur proc's FBS is 333mhz, its best you get a PC2700. Unless you are going to overclock.

2. I would try getting the Asus A7N8X

Nightrain - I merged your two threads. One thread per topic, please. Don't forget that a bump will move a still topical thread to the top of the stack.

Thanks - B.B.S.

get pc 3200 memory, it is about $2 more than pc2700.. and worth it... also, you can run pc3200 at pc2700 speeds and tighter timings...

get a mobile XP one of these 3...
2200+ 35watt
2400+ 35watt
2600+ 35watt

people keep saying 2500+ 45watt.. but that is because people were all hung up on 2500+ when they made the unlocked 1.65 v ones.. but the 2400+ 35w has a lower stock voltage and is the same clock speed as that 2500+..

you need a heat sink for the cpu.. and some arctic silver wouldn't be a bad investment.. also.. if you want to save about $5 you can get mushkin pc3200 ram and it will be just fine...

oh.. don't get that motherboard... get a shuttle an35 ultra.. whatever you get get one with an nforce2 chipset... not via or sis..

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-150-056&depa=0 this might be intersting... to save you money on the vid card... i would get 2 x 256 mb ram instead of 1 256 stick.. but i have no idea what OC options this has..

The RAM is good but it's CAS 3, and newegg has CAS 2.5 for prolly around the same price.

WillowHawk said:
AMD 64 all the way dude..its worth it, not to mention the Ultra X-Connect PSU at www.frozencpu.com...but that would be useless without good windows on the case

Hey "dude" did you not read my post at all? This is a budget machine for a novice to computers. He doesn't need an AMD 64, or a kick ass PSU that is the Ultra X (which I have in my current rig).

Back