My new File Server log

compslckr

[H]F Junkie
Some of you may have seen (or contributed to) my original thread a little over a week ago. For those of you who missed it, here is the link http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1323037

Basically I needed a file server, so I ordered some parts, slapped them together and here are the final results.

This is still a work in progress, I am planning on adding more drives at some point, I still have some cable clean-up to do, and I want to pick up some quieter fans for it.

Specs:
Abit IP35 Pro
Celeron 430 Conroe-L
2gb A-Data DDR2 800
HIS Radeon x1550
4x Western Digital 640gb AAKS
1x Maxtor 80gb (Windows Home server)
1x Lite-On DVD/rw
EarthWatt 420 ew-420 Power supply
Windows Home Server

I have not finished transferring all my data yet, but once that is done the 2 500gb usb2.0 drives are getting added to the storage pool

Pics:

The 4x 640gb drives
IMG_3317.JPG.jpg

Case all cleaned out
IMG_3318.JPG.jpg

Hard Drives, PSU, fans and CD drive installed
IMG_3319.jpg

Close up of HD's and sata / ide cables
IMG_3321.JPG.jpg

Front shot
IMG_3352.jpg

Side shot
IMG_3355.jpg

Home server console screen shot... gotta love empty drives :)
New_Server_Storage.JPG

Yup, its starting to fill up as I shuffle drives back and forth to copy files over. I am really impressed with WHS so far, I might have to set something similar up for my parent's business. They currently have a 250gb buffalo terrastation (IIRC).

I found a good deal on some Yate Loon 47cfm @ 28db fans, so I might invest in 4 of those to replace the generic (and loud) led fans I have now.

Dangit. Just when I figure I can stop spending money for a bit, up comes a project using WHS with a nice subdued and perfectly working spec that probably consumes as much power as my ReadyNAS box but would be significantly faster.

Nice build! I'm very curious how well WHS works out.

any chance of letting us know the Idle and day to day power usage of that please im looking to get my power usage right down

I am thinking about picking up a kill-a-watt. they are on sale at buy.com for pretty cheap, and I am curious what kind of power it draws.

The WHS OS is pretty amazing, the management console is really easy to use, and still offers alot of powerful options. If you are familiar with server 2003 you will be right at home with home server (except home server is alot easier too, but you can still use alot of the server 2003 management tools for IIS etc)

I got bit torrent up and running on it, and I have my laptop set to download .torrent files to a directory on the server, which then automatically adds it to utorrent's download queue. once the file finishes downloading it is moved to a "completed" directory and I file them where they go manually.

As far as sharing goes I have had no connectivity issues. I have shares setup with linux, mac and windows PC's and everything works fast.

Transfer speeds seem to be pretty darn good, are there any applications out there to test the speeds?

I will post some more screen shots when I get home now that I have some data on the drives.

Yeah, I downloaded the trial from connect.microsoft.com with PP1, It activated fine, I think the trial is for 120 days, and I will definitely be purchasing it when the trial expires. It is by far the best experience I have had with microsoft software

All that space and it is completely free, something is wrong. :p

fileserver1.JPG

fileserver2.JPG

fileserver3.JPG

fileserver4.JPG

A few more screenshots for your guys, So far I am loving this thing, I have not started the duplication yet, but I still have the old externals as a backup for now. Let me know if you have any other questions about WHS, I will do my best to answer them

As far as the webserver goes it is possible to get IIS setup with PHP and MySQL which is great. The IIS console is exactly the same as the Server 2003 one, so you can change all your settings and default ports through there.

There is an add-in called Whiist that lets you easly create new websites (insted of using the IIS control panel) and it adds links to the sites on your servers default public start page.

I love having my server online all the time, and I have gotten some pretty good upload speeds (about 150-200kb/s) when downloading from work. I setup one of my old domain names to forward to my server, so i have access to my files by just going to http://slackerserver.com

Microsof gives you a feww subdomain like yourname.homeserver.com which is pretty nice as well.

comslckr

many years ago, I still remember how you made that thread about your ghetto ass air duct from CPU to outside window

Do you?

Does anyone have experience with the SilenX IXP-54-14 fans?
http://www.svc.com/ixp-54-14g.html

32cfm at 14dBA sounds pretty good to me, and the price is pretty good.

The server is still running great so far, streaming to my modded xbox and computers around the apartment seems to work flawlessly so far.

As far as I know about SilenX is that they are decent, but don't expect to get such a high CFM and such a low noise. They heavily overrate them. I stayed away from them due to the bad reviews, it is possible that they might be a lot better now, but I am skeptical until I hear otherwise from people.

Back