My New DSC-F828

HardD99

[H]ard|Gawd
ok i've had this thing about 2 weeks now, and still i dont know 1/2 of what this camera can do, but it takes the best pictures i have ever seen. i'm having a couple problems tho, sometimes close-ups (within 4 feet) of people the person gets overexposed because of the brightness of the flash, i tried turning it down to low, but still having same problem.

my biggest problem is focusing on Inanimate objects for close-ups, if i get like 1 foot within something or closer i cant get the damn camera to focus, even when set to manual focus and turning the focus wheel i still cant get a focus, it's really pissin me off.

does anyone else have this camera or another high end camera like this that can help me out?

here's a picture that did turn out pretty good tho:

desktop10.jpg

Nice camera. My friend at work got one and seems like it took him a while to learn to focus as well, but he's gotten pretty good at it now and he really likes the camera

I played around with it once, but I'm more of a point and shoot guy. And it was kinda awkward to hold - way too big, especially with a long lense. I'll stick with my SD200 ;)

You might checkout dpreview.com, they have pretty active forums. Good luck.

sony says : " Minimum/Macro Focus Distance: 19.7" (50 cm)/ 3⁄4" (2cm)"

On page 33 of the manual, there are instructions for doing this, it basically says:
set the lens to its widest angle - as the telephoto end cant focus close(to 20" or something at telephoto). Press the flower icon to turn on macro mode (only works in some shooting modes) then it should work.

thx alot guys, i lost my manual like 2 days ago :( ill try that out ambientZ

man that forum on dpreview really makes u come running back to a vBulletin board :)

I'm going to assume that it's easy to do, but you've been eating too much "Easy Cheese" :)

sony has the manual online for the f828, its just a pain to get to. I found it somewhere on the support site.

For the high flash problem, try putting a piece of tissue or toilet paper over the flash.

nice camera you got there, it takes some getting used to for sure, even a Panasonic FZ3 takes some getting used to with the macro mode, and thats a rather small camera, just with a nice big 12x Leica zoom lens.

for that price i would have just gotten a digital rebel, more expandable, but very nice nonetheless, i know someone who owns one and he loves it.

Mr_Bucket said:
I hope you paid around $400.

Listen up, twit. Either drop the meglomaniacal belittling of P-n-S cams, or STFU and leave the thread. Not EVERYONE wants to go the D-SLR route. Capice? At least zyntax was courteous enough to provide reason and advice.

:rolleyes:

royjr said:
Listen up, twit. Either drop the meglomaniacal belittling of P-n-S cams, or STFU and leave the thread. Not EVERYONE wants to go the D-SLR route. Capice? At least zyntax was courteous enough to provide reason and advice.

Theres much better point and shoots to be had for that money.

seems you can't post without resorting to name calling :rolleyes:

royjr said:

Nono, in this case bucketface is right. The Sony is... a Sony and that's more than needs to be said about it. In digital camera world they have about the worst record.

thx for all your compliments guys!

i found the manual online, had to dl a 5 meg pdf file then a 15 meg pdf viewer, but i got it now :)

i now have photoshop 8 cs, and have been able to easily fix in minor problems i am having with my pictures, red-eye etc. i think this camera is gonna work out just fine.... one thing that i do wish was built in is an anti-shake feature for those far away shots.

as far as some of you putting down this camera... i bought this camera after much research, the camera works great for what i need, and thats the only thing u need to look for when buying a camera, something that fits your needs, i dont feel like carrying around extra lens's and crap all the time, yet i want a large lens for low light situations etc, i already had media that fits this camera, i have never had a bad experience with ANY sony product i have ever bought. i needed a fairly good optical zoom, and i wanted a camera with a nice feel. for the price range, approx $900, this was the camera that I wanted. everything i wanted this camera has plus more. this camera will do anything i need, i just need to learn how to use it. so please keep your negative comments to yourself, i dont know why most of you haven't learned this yet, be honest in your post, but when someone doesnt ask for your opinion, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!

There's a difference between time tested fact and opinion, but regardless I hope you like it. Plenty of people like Sony's cameras.

this is pretty much a canon board. you will get replies skewed towards canon products here. if you have any specific questions about the 828, you should post over at the dpreview sony forum:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009

the 828 is a very capable camera though. steves digicams, imaging resource, dpreview, they all liked it. it won the DIWA Gold Medal Award in 04:
22. September 2004: The DIWA organisation of collaborating worldwide websites (Digital Imaging Websites Association) today announced that Sony Inc. has been awarded Gold and Silver medals for two of their excellent digital cameras. The DIWA test experts honoured the Cyber-shot DSC-F828 with gold, accompanied by the Cyber-shot DSC-V1, which qualified for a silver medal. The awards are the results of comprehensive, independent reviews of different samples, made by a number of DIWA camera testing experts from Europe and USA.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 proved its excellence by scoring extremely well on DIWA’s unique evaluation scoreboard. Its first class 8x zoom lens from legendary Carl Zeiss and the top ranked 8 megapixel Super HAD CCD image sensor provided outstanding image quality. Besides, the unconventional camera design is met with enthusiasm both among amateurs and professionals.

The DIWA test experts unanimously say: "Sony may not have a legacy to show as a camera manufacturer, but their electronic skills are undisputed. With legendary Carl Zeiss onboard, Sony now has all the optical expertise they may require, proven by these excellent Cyber-shot cameras. The DSC-F828 offers professional image quality and sophisticated features, packed into a rugged, versatile body with a unique twist-and-shoot design". Any advanced amateur would want one.

emorphien said:
Nono, in this case bucketface is right. The Sony is... a Sony and that's more than needs to be said about it. In digital camera world they have about the worst record.
Please provide fact for that statement.

Back