My "New" Computer - Picture Inside

Adam

[H]ard|Gawd
My "new" computer just arrived today, check out this bad boy:

33801_1527232376173_1095570040_31269204_8203812_n.jpg

This was my first computer as a young lad... back when you had to program your own games in BASIC

10 PRINT "KayPro II Rocks"
20 GO TO 10

Yeah it works. I need software to do anything but the screen works, keys all seem to work as well.

Specs. who knows, lol, you'd have to look them up. Its a kaypro II... great lil machine. The keyboard folds up into the screen and locks in, and it has a handle on the back... talk about lan party friendly :)

Nice green screen too for graphics,

I dunno i cant find a cd-rom drive or a usb slot.... its missing a network jack as well

Ohh yeah i didnt even think to try wifi, good thinking... but wheres the mouse plugin to? Maybe bluetooth?

Nice !!!
link to specs from wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaypro

abstract : "Set in an aluminum case, it weighed 29 pounds (13 kilograms) and was equipped with a Zilog Z80 microprocessor, 64 kilobytes of RAM, and two 5¼-inch double-density floppy-disk drives. It ran on Digital Research, Inc.'s CP/M operating system, and sold for about US$1,795.00"

And for the CPU benchers out there, CPU specs : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zilog_Z80

I have no idea why, but I want one. I'd have no real use for it though.

I think I paid $80 shipped. Worth it. This isnt just a vintage computer for me, this is where it all began for me. On this very model computer. My grandmother had it and I used to play text based video games back then. Then she gave it to my dad when she upgraded to a new computer so it became mine essentially and i remember sitting at the dining table, this thing plugged in, trying to figure out how to use basic. Mainly i just edited some existing programs to change the text around and see what happened. But thats what sparked my interest in computers.

Plus I think it looks neat in my office:

154118_1527627906061_1095570040_31270210_5089432_n.jpg

NICE!!! Swaer to you, the local Radio shack had the big floppies you need for that right up until they moved buildings. They may still have em somewhere, brand new still shrinkwrapped, lol.

I say put freenas on it, then raid 0 those floppies, hahaha.

I need CP/M though, lol, blank floppies are useless without an OS

You can find CP/M (the original, seriously) and several other versions of it here:

http://vetusware.com/category/OS/?cat=1

Having said that, it could be fake but, there's only one way to find out.

My first "computer" was an Altair 8800 I built myself in 1975, the only "software" for that one was basically a bunch of DIP switches - floppies were still a ways off. Oh the good old days when this stuff was actually fun and you could learn something.

/me cues up "Memories..." :p

That's pretty cool looking. I have never seen anything like it.

Damn it. Now I feel old. :(

Lunchbox Computers (like this) were basically the first portable computers. They were pretty popular in the late 80's into the early 90's before laptops started taking off.

I was going through old boxes and found my old MS-DOS 5.1 disks. I also have Harvard Graphics and Word Perfect on 5 1/4" disks. The Word Perfect program came in a binder and had 23 install disks IIRC.

Ahh the days of Basic, my first language (computer)

Bad programmer .... never use a GOTO. Haha

But srsly... nice find.

We need a retro PC subforum ;) I get nostalgic for old computers, but I don't have time to play with them these days with kids and work and all.

I had a Celeron 333 win98 system set up for a while to play old DOS games. Right now I have my Dad's Packard Bell Pentium 60 system laying around, I was extracting old files from it for him.

Back