My New Computer (First Time Builder)

xxpigxx

n00b
Hello people. FIrts post here to help me build my first computer. :D I would appreciate any input or suggestions. This computer will be used mostly for games and video editing.

kk . . . here we go:

Case: (I like this one much . . . so pleeeeaase try not to change! :D I am baout to order the case today!)

XCLIO A380BK Fully Black High Gloss Finish SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Processor:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

Motherboard:

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

PSU:

XCLIO GREATPOWER X14S4P4 750W ATX12V 750W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, TUV, CB, VDE, FIMKO, DEMKO, NEMKO, SEMKO

Video Card:

EVGA 768-P2-N837-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO HDCP Video Card

RAM:

Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Hard Drives:

I have not decided yet. I know I want one 500GB and two 320GB. Suggestions?

Also two Samsung DVD burners w/ Lightscribe, and a Samsung DVD ROM.

So . . . what do yall think?

Looks good, but i don't like that case or power supply. I'd stick to well-known, popular brands when choosing a case, since i would be sceptical about the build quality on that Xclio case. May i suggest going to the Antec 900 or Thermaltake Armour, instead- although they are both around 50-60$ more. For that build i would get a Seasonic/Corsair or Silverstone PSU. The 3 that come to mind are the Corsair HX620, Seasonic M12 700w or Silverstone Zues ST75ZF; all 3 are very good quality power supplies.

That's all from me right now. Good luck with the build! ;)

How about something like this?

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819115003

GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813128017

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820145590

XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W ATX 500W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817189005

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814130072

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822148140

Antec Performance One P180B
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811129017

Westinghouse Silver/Black 37" 8ms 1080p HD-Ready LCD TV
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16889234001

Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2b 1pk w/Upgrade Coupon for Vista
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16832116175

Grand Total: $2,950.56

ima assume he has the 680i for SLi in the future... and you need x32 for G80 SLi i read somewhere... not sure, so dont quote me on it :p

and go with a better case, made completely of aluminum (Silverstone, Coolermaster, or the best, Lian Li. ) you WONT regret ditching that case... dont worry about looks so much with a case, if you NEED bling, just get a windowed panel, and throw in a UV cathode. problem solved :p make sure its not a plastic inverter though...

and DEFINITELY dont go with that x clio PSU. im not to great with PSU's right now, but there are DEFINITELY better ones for about the same or less.

XClio usually uses CWT on their lower end PSUs, and Enhance on their higher end models -- both very solid PSU manufacturers, I believe. XClio itself probably isn't known, but their oem suppliers sure are known in the PSU circles. And having good suppliers leads to good products.

I have no idea about their cases, but they look pretty standard (the insides). Get whatever case you want. Just make sure it has good airflow (120mm intake/exhaust fans, etc).

JG's site says the 750W XClio is thought to be the same make as the Tt Toughpower, which I hear is CWT. With that in mind, for the price, the Corsair 620W would be a better option, imo. The Corsair supplies 50A on the +12V rails, which is enough for 2x 8800GTX's in SLI. If you think you'll need more power, go for the ST75ZF that mansize_tissue recommended.

For HDDs, look at the Seagate 7200.10 (or 'cuda ES) 320GB drives, and the WD5000AAKS drive. No need for 2 burners and a ROM... stick to either 2 burners or one burner and one rom.

You don't need DDR2-800 ram unless you plan on running the FSB at 400, which would yield 3.6Ghz if you kept the multi at 9. If you plan to OC past 3Ghz at all, it would in your best interest to get a Tuniq Tower or Scythe Ninja... or some other equivalent HSF (search forums, I'm gettin tired of listing them, lol). BTW 9 * 333 = 3.0Ghz, DDR2-667; 8*400=3.2Ghz, DDR2-800... Figure out how high you want to OC, if you're OC'ing at all, then decide on the ram.

In that pricerange, just get the Silverstone ST75ZF psu. it's about the same price, but infinatly better.

ima assume he has the 680i for SLi in the future... and you need x32 for G80 SLi i read somewhere... not sure, so dont quote me on it :p

and go with a better case, made completely of aluminum (Silverstone, Coolermaster, or the best, Lian Li. ) you WONT regret ditching that case... dont worry about looks so much with a case, if you NEED bling, just get a windowed panel, and throw in a UV cathode. problem solved :p make sure its not a plastic inverter though...

and DEFINITELY dont go with that x clio PSU. im not to great with PSU's right now, but there are DEFINITELY better ones for about the same or less.

You are right. Mobo for SLi in the future. I chose that case because of the huge fans, with the ability to add another in the rear.

I will use the SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V 750W Power Supply 90 - 264 V OCP,OVP,SCP,NLO. Looks good. :D

XClio usually uses CWT on their lower end PSUs, and Enhance on their higher end models -- both very solid PSU manufacturers, I believe. XClio itself probably isn't known, but their oem suppliers sure are known in the PSU circles. And having good suppliers leads to good products.

I have no idea about their cases, but they look pretty standard (the insides). Get whatever case you want. Just make sure it has good airflow (120mm intake/exhaust fans, etc).

JG's site says the 750W XClio is thought to be the same make as the Tt Toughpower, which I hear is CWT. With that in mind, for the price, the Corsair 620W would be a better option, imo. The Corsair supplies 50A on the +12V rails, which is enough for 2x 8800GTX's in SLI. If you think you'll need more power, go for the ST75ZF that mansize_tissue recommended.

For HDDs, look at the Seagate 7200.10 (or 'cuda ES) 320GB drives, and the WD5000AAKS drive. No need for 2 burners and a ROM... stick to either 2 burners or one burner and one rom.

You don't need DDR2-800 ram unless you plan on running the FSB at 400, which would yield 3.6Ghz if you kept the multi at 9. If you plan to OC past 3Ghz at all, it would in your best interest to get a Tuniq Tower or Scythe Ninja... or some other equivalent HSF (search forums, I'm gettin tired of listing them, lol). BTW 9 * 333 = 3.0Ghz, DDR2-667; 8*400=3.2Ghz, DDR2-800... Figure out how high you want to OC, if you're OC'ing at all, then decide on the ram.

The hard drives look good.

I burn alot, so I wanted to have two burners. ATM, I have one burner and one ROM. I use the burners solely for burning. I use the ROM for everything else. I was thinking I could burn the movie while Lightscribe was doing the print on another disc. Right now I have my Laptop burning while my PC does the Lightscribe.

I am a total n00b at OCing, so I do not think I will be going above 3.0 just yet. Maybe 2.6-2.9 max for right now. Maybe more later when I know what the hell I am doing. :D

So I should get the 667 instead of 800 (DDR2)? And I will probably get the Scythe Ninja . .. although the Tuniq Tower looks cool lol.

I was looking at that case, and the reviews said the airflow was good. I live in south TX, and it gets hot as heck in the summer. I have already had one PC expire on me because of the heat :(.

Other than that . . . it looks good for some heavy gaming and some light to medium video editing?

If you are building it through the summer and drawing it out I would make the processor and the video card your last purchases to insure you get the best you can afford.

If you are building it through the summer and drawing it out I would make the processor and the video card your last purchases to insure you get the best you can afford.

That is what I plan.

Today I am ordering a HDD's, the PSU, and 2 burners.

2 weeks, the case and ram.

That is as far as I have planned lol

So I should get the 667 instead of 800 (DDR2)? And I will probably get the Scythe Ninja . .. although the Tuniq Tower looks cool lol.

If you can afford the price difference (if any) between the two, then DDR2-800 would allow you to OC higher, theoretically, since 9 * 400 = 3.6Ghz (DDR2-800). Since the prices are almost the same, go for the higher speed ram, since it sounds like you'll be OC'ing. Don't worry, OC'ing these chips is easy.

Make sure you get SATA optical drives.

If you can afford the price difference (if any) between the two, then DDR2-800 would allow you to OC higher, theoretically, since 9 * 400 = 3.6Ghz (DDR2-800). Since the prices are almost the same, go for the higher speed ram, since it sounds like you'll be OC'ing. Don't worry, OC'ing these chips is easy.

Make sure you get SATA optical drives.

kk Thanks

If you're not building till summer, do you know how much $$ you could save if you kept patient and open to similar components that show up on big sales instead of painting yourself into retail prices?

just saying man..with your timetable..you could do better.

If you're not building till summer, do you know how much $$ you could save if you kept patient and open to similar components that show up on big sales instead of painting yourself into retail prices?

just saying man..with your timetable..you could do better.

Well, some things might go down. Especially processors and video cards, which is why I am ordering those last. Other than that, I am staggering my purchases over a couple of months. It should help alleviate the pain in the wallet. :D

Looks good, but i don't like that case or power supply. I'd stick to well-known, popular brands when choosing a case, since i would be sceptical about the build quality on that Xclio case. May i suggest going to the Antec 900 or Thermaltake Armour, instead- although they are both around 50-60$ more. For that build i would get a Seasonic/Corsair or Silverstone PSU. The 3 that come to mind are the Corsair HX620, Seasonic M12 700w or Silverstone Zues ST75ZF; all 3 are very good quality power supplies.

That's all from me right now. Good luck with the build! ;)

Okay. I chose the Antec 900. It looks good, and has what I need.

Thanks for the suggestion. ;)

Edit: Just ordered it. :D

Back