My New Comp

These are the specs on what I am buying in about a week. I am just curious what y'all think of my choices. I am upgrading from a 466 Celeron with a 4GB HDD so this is a great change. I pretty much wanted top of th line on everything. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Case----------------------Lian-Li PC-60
Power Supply-----------Antec True 480W
Processor----------------Athlon Barton 2500+
Heatsink/Fan------------Thermalright SLK-947U w/ Panaflo 92mm
Motherboard------------DFI LanParty NFII Ultra
RAM-----------------------Corsair XMS Pro 1024MB PC-3200LL
Hard Drive---------------Western Digital SATA 80GB
CD Burner----------------Lite-On 52x32x52x
DVD Drive----------------Lite-On 16x
Floppy Drive-------------Mitsumi 1.44"
Video Card---------------Asus Radeon 9800Pro 256MB
Sound Card--------------Soundblaster Audigy 2
Keyboard-----------------Logitech Elite
Mouse---------------------Logitech MX500
Monitor--------------------Viewsonic P220f 22"
Speakers------------------Logitech Z-680
Thermal Compound-----Arctic Silver 5
Mousepad----------------Func 1040

My main question is what do y'all think is the best gaming mousepad?

well you are going to hear ratpadgs is the best gaming mousepad... I just use one that I got for free

Don't buy top of the line stuff, then wait 4 years to upgrade like you currently did...its nice to have hot shit right now, but sucks down the road.

I'd get the 128mb graphics card

and also, If you are spending that much, get an A64 or a FX-51...may as well if you are gonna spend a lot. I'd certainly recommend a A643200 over any overclock you will get on a barton ( I myself am on a 2100mhz barton)

I'd get an asus/abit mobo, but that is just me

I agree with dave on some things.

If you're not gonna be upgrading again for a while (3+ years), I'd suggest going with an Athlon64 3000+ or maybe even the A64 3200+. Don't get the FX though, it's just a little too expensive, and also has to use ECC Registered RAM.

I'd probably go with Mushkin Special 2-2-2 since it uses BH-6 chips, but I have no idea what the XMS Pro 3200LL uses (is it CH-5?)

I'd also rather go with the 128 MB Radeon 9800 Pro instead of the 256 MB version.

You don't need a 480 watt PSU, the Antec True 430 will be good enough.

Everything else pretty much looks fine, though you'll have to get a different mobo if you're gonna get an athlon 64.

As for mousepad, doesn't really matter to me either way, but I probably prefer funcpad since ratpads can wear out faster.

You mention wanting to go top of the line, but then you add an AthlonXP. If you are dead set on going with an AMD system, it should be an A64.

I didnt go with the A64 because I did not want to spend that much money, plus I am waiting for the 939 chips and the mobos to be refined (for dual channel and such). I may go with the 9800Pro 128 though and the lower wattage PSU. Thanks for the help so far and please give me even more feedback.

Again, you mentioned top of the line and went with an XP.

I would recommend the 256 video card. If your going to run this as long as your old one, you will probably need the extra ram later.

Go with a nice p4, either a 2.4 way over clocked or a 3.2 if you can swing it. Go SATA Raid0 as well. Preferably with 2 raptor drives instead of what you chose.

Get into an Asus 875 board with that p4. You can save money by droping that sound card, as long as you don't need any heady recording abilities. The onboards on the asus can run a 5.1, 6.1 setup just great.

Just my recommendations, I am on a barton 2500 here at work and hate it sooo much compared to my p4 3.0 800fsb at home

Seriously my p4 1.5 with rambus at home is faster then this barton 2500. The barton is on an asus board with corsair ram also, just feels like I am dragin butt.

Originally posted by slash1
Again, you mentioned top of the line and went with an XP.

I would recommend the 256 video card. If your going to run this as long as your old one, you will probably need the extra ram later.

Seriously my p4 1.5 with rambus at home is faster then this barton 2500. The barton is on an asus board with corsair ram also, just feels like I am dragin butt.

Uhh...a lil fan boyism right there....

but new graphics cards will be pci-x so hes not gonna have this one for ages, thus making you point pointless

A 1.5 willy faster than a Barton? Someone's smoking something right there.

And correction, it's PCI-Express, or I guess PCI-E, not PCI-X. ;)

Originally posted by BillLeeLee
A 1.5 willy faster than a Barton? Someone's smoking something right there.

And correction, it's PCI-Express, or I guess PCI-E, not PCI-X. ;)

ahh my bad

Originally posted by dave326
Uhh...a lil fan boyism right there....

but new graphics cards will be pci-x so hes not gonna have this one for ages, thus making you point pointless

Sure I'm a fan boy I suppose. I use what runs faster.

And how in the world can you say, pci-express will make him upgrade?

He's using a cel 466 for crying out loud. Look how much technology came out since then that he didn't upgrade for. That was a very ignorant statement from you.

And if you paid attention, I said "my" p4 at home was faster then "this" barton at work. I am not doubting the batron 2500 is faster, I am going on feel. The bartons seem to be picky on what M/B they are on. Never had a p4 be this picky.

I'd swap out those logitech speakers for a set of klipsch. The quality is far superior to go with that sound card.

You'd get more mileage out of an A64 system and a 128 MB 9800XT card and a than you would out of a barton and a 256 megabyte vid card. Never mind spending 100 bucks on a case, and another 75 on the PSU when you can get a decent Antec combo for almost half that - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...1-129-115&catalog=7&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=0 or http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...1-129-120&catalog=7&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=0

Its just that "top of the line" does not jibe with Barton2500. Why trade A64 power and (hopefully) compatibility with future operating systems for expensive case/PSU, unused video RAM and a soundcard that to many subjective listeners is indistinguishable from good onboard sound? Upgrade the CORE components now, you can always add sound, RAM, etc later.

IMO - drop the audigy (save 100), go with 128 MB vid card (save 75), go with antec case (save 80) and get the Sk8V and Athlon64 3200+

All IMO, of course.

BB

Originally posted by GameFreak3K
they are also going to be set up on my xbox though. So I need the 680's

Why couldn't you get a set of Klipsch speakers and do the same thing? Far superior quality.

BB Gun:
and get the Sk8V

The Asus SK8V is for the Athlon FX only. What he needs to do is get the ASUS KV-8 Deluxe. Oh BTW, I am ordering here in 1 month a P4 3.2w/ASUS P4C800-E. I was going to go with Athlon 64 because it is better in games but I decided not too. You won't be able to tell the difference in actual real world settings because both of these CPU's are just awesome fast. Also, I do more than game I also do music recording so the Dual Channel and Hyper-threading helps me out ALOT. Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by GameFreak3K
My main question is what do y'all think is the best gaming mousepad?

fUncpad for sure. Its like a teflon surface and I've yet to use anything better.. anything.

Arkanian:
The Asus SK8V is for the Athlon FX only

Doh! Damn, I hate it when I do that! First time I did it, I caught it before I finished the post. This time I was outed... :eek:

BB <-- slaps hand and heads to time out

Originally posted by RemisGodly
Why couldn't you get a set of Klipsch speakers and do the same thing? Far superior quality.

You cant hook an xbox into the Klipsh speakers.

Originally posted by slash1
Sure I'm a fan boy I suppose. I use what runs faster.

And how in the world can you say, pci-express will make him upgrade?

He's using a cel 466 for crying out loud. Look how much technology came out since then that he didn't upgrade for. That was a very ignorant statement from you.

And if you paid attention, I said "my" p4 at home was faster then "this" barton at work. I am not doubting the batron 2500 is faster, I am going on feel. The bartons seem to be picky on what M/B they are on. Never had a p4 be this picky.

Try reading some more, he said he wants a socket 939. That will probably make his AGP card obsolete.

Comparing a machine that you built at home and maintain, to one that you use at work and don't have control over is not a fair comparision. There is probably all sorts of programs running that don't need on your work computer.

There is no way a 1.5ghz P4 will be faster than a barton 2500, all other things equal

I thought that Klipsch ultra cant be plugged into an xbox it doesnt have the right inputs. Is this wrong? can you plug the xbox into them?

Back