• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

my new 2600k box

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x7
Staff member
2FA
Joined
Jun 15, 2005
Messages
6,881
I bought two 2600K CPUs at Micro Center in Santa Ana, California, last week.

Without any hassles I asked about their policy of only selling one CPU per family, and they waived that policy for me since I live 800 miles from their store. They were quite friendly about the whole thing. I enjoyed my shopping experience at Micro Center.

I also got one motherboard while I was at the store. This is what I have:

Intel 2600K
stock Intel HSF
Gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 Intel Motherboard
Corsair 750 watt PSU (I forget which one)
nVidia 460 GPU
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 (I am not sure what speed). I have 4 x 4GB in my personal machine and I was going to remove 2 sticks since I don't need 16gb in my machine.
Some SSD (not picked out just yet) for a boot drive and plenty of data drives
Windows 7 Ultimate

I don't do much OC'ing, so I need your help. I would like for this boxen to go above 4 Ghz at least.

Purpose of this boxen: a gaming machine for my son; with folding of course!

(1) Do I need to replace the HSF with better parts?

(2) Do I need to replace the memory with better & faster bits?

(3) Anything else I should be focused on at this time?

I have an email somewhere with my pass key. I have never used it since I have never folded big advanced. But I hope to soon. Thanks in advance.


.

.



 
1. For your non-optimistic goal of 4 GHz, probably not. I would, however. Some big tower - pick your favorite. I have a CM Hyper 212 on mine and it does just fine.

2. No. Since you don't need to overclock with blck, anything will do. I actually have PC1066 in mine at the moment.

3. Not really. Sounds like you have a nice little machine going there.
 
An OC above 4 Ghz requires more than stock cooling?

I would rather spend the time and money right now and get it done correct the first time. I hate taking HSFs off of their CPU. I tend to fudge it up a bit.
 
If you can put together a computer in the first place, I'm sure you can manage to put on a new heatsink.
 
ya, you would think so. But I have some real problems with attaching them properly, and taking them off sometimes is just too much for me.
 
An OC above 4 Ghz requires more than stock cooling?

I would rather spend the time and money right now and get it done correct the first time. I hate taking HSFs off of their CPU. I tend to fudge it up a bit.

4.0 should be achievable with stock

3.8 is the stock turbo speed......you wont be getting the 4.4-5.0's alot of us are getting with our 2600k....if you get and H50/H70 or the like, your looking at 4.8 ghz with very little tweaking
 
(2) Do I need to replace the memory with better & faster bits?

2. No. Since you don't need to overclock with blck, anything will do. I actually have PC1066 in mine at the moment.

I noticed in some online reviews that everyone is using faster memory.

I purchased a Noctua NH-D14 super cooler for my boxen. Looks like one of the best coolers.

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=34&lng=en

Are ya'll sure I don't need any fancy memory?
 
You won't get any benefit with faster ram. Timings are more important on the ram than the speed, but in the grand scheme of things, neither matters much and f@h is still more reliant on the cpu mhz than anything else. ;)
Faster ram makes more difference on Bloomfield because you're oc'ing with the bclk. With SB, it doesn't mean much at all because you're oc'ing using multipliers, not the bclk.
 
Are ya'll sure I don't need any fancy memory?

I will revise my previous statement slightly - the memory you have will not affect you overclock, and your system will run fine at whatever speed your memory is. HOWEVER, faster memory will give you better performance with F@H, and probably everything else. I am sure the same thing can be said of virtually any system you can dream up.

Example: As I said earlier, my 2600K was running at 4.7 GHz with memory at 1333, 7-7-7-20. Frame times on a 2686 were 23:03 and very consistant. I finally got my PC1600 7-8-7-24 memory in yesterday, installed it, and set the timing to what the memory is rated for. Everything worked, so I now am running the same 4.7 GHz, but with my memory at PC1600 7-8-7-24. Frame times went down to 22:23 - a 40 second decrease. That equates to somewhere around 2500 ppd.

So do you need better/faster memory? No. Does having better/faster memory help performance? Yes. Will the better/faster memory help me with overclocking? Not at all. Even if you want to play with bclk as well as multiplier, the memory you have will play a very minor role since you are only talking <5 MHz.
 
Last edited:
With that NH-D14 cooler you ought to be able to hit 4.5 + ghz. My 980x can fold 6900s at 4.3 ghz and stay under 70c.

Make sure you have enough room in your case to fit this beast.
 
With that NH-D14 cooler you ought to be able to hit 4.5 + ghz. My 980x can fold 6900s at 4.3 ghz and stay under 70c.

Make sure you have enough room in your case to fit this beast.

Will do.

One 2600K will be a file server, and I have a Norco 4U case that should be fine. I can always run it topless if I have to.

The other 2600K will be my son's new gaming machine. I plan to use an Antec * P something... maybe P70? P90? I forget what it is exactly. It is a full tower case. I got 3 cases from New *Egg really cheap a while back.
 
even in a tiny case (lian li v534?) something like that, when i had it folding (with corsair h50 and 2 fans on the front, extra drive bays taken out) it worked fine at 4.4x ghz, the next step up was a bit unreliable.
the corsair isnt better than a good air cooler, it just lets you save on a fan, so with any larger case and any decent air cooling i expect you could do way better than 4.0
 
Will do.

One 2600K will be a file server, and I have a Norco 4U case that should be fine. I can always run it topless if I have to.

The other 2600K will be my son's new gaming machine. I plan to use an Antec * P something... maybe P70? P90? I forget what it is exactly. It is a full tower case. I got 3 cases from New *Egg really cheap a while back.

Does anybody else get [H]ard when reading about a topless server?!
 
Back
Top