My new $1k build

sonicboom

Limp Gawd
Sup fellas,
I was looking to get a new comp and searched a few online vendors and system builders. I found out that for my price range, around $1k, none would give me most of the components I wanted. So, for the next week , I'll take some time and build my first comp since 2002. I'm interested in a quad system mainly for dcc, something that will run zbrush/modo/maya well as well as not stutter when watching some 1080p vids. I have never tried OCing any of my previous comps, but this time I will give it a shot. Nothing too crazy, but going from something like 2.4-3.0 should be plenty for my needs. I'm hoping this build will last me for 1-2 years.
Here are the parts I decided to get so far:

PC Power & Cooling S75QB EPS12V 750W Power Supply - Retail
ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready
SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S203N - OEM
LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
I already have 2 Sata3.0 hds which i will be using in the new comp.

You can get so much for so little these days.

What kind of monitor are you running?

Yea, you sure can. I remember my first p2 300 mhz from Gateway in 1996-97. Cost me around $4k with a 17" crt.. I'm running dualview with NEC 2490WUXi as my main, and the Viewsonic vp2030b for reference images.

There was a thread I think in the PSU section with the Corsair 750 for like 99 AR.

A similar LL case thats a little more compact is the A05B. Love mine :D

What about your O/S? Also, that 750 watt PC Power and Cooling PS is a bit of an overkill for that setup. A Corsair VX550 for $85 at Buy.com is more than enough. $10 off the price when purchased through google checkout.

I will be at the very least dual booting XP Pro and Vista 64 home premium. Yea heh, I wanted the psu to be a bit more powerful, I won't be buying another in a year or two, that's for sure. Originally I was looking to sli the 9800 gtxs with a q9450, but they still are relatively new (both card and cpu) and I really needed to get the comp going. My current machine has been acting weird, and I wanted to at least to have this quad as insurance. I chose the safer route and stuck with tried and proven parts.

Its not like the Q6450 was a whole new architecture... just a die shrink with minor improvements. Anyhow, nice build. Pick up a ZEROtherm Nirvana if you want to OC that quadcore.

Back