"My Network Places" Problem

qtqc

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone. Im having a problem with My network places in Windows XP. One computer on the network can not be seen by any other of the computers. The weird thing is this computer can see and access all the other computer pcs on the network. Things were working fine until I tried to install Windoes vista but during install it had an error and didnt finish the install. It didn'g do anything to my windows xp as I just cancelled the installation. Just thought I would mention that. I did a spyware check also but came clean. Any thoughts?

I just noticed one thing that may be important. When Im on another computer and go to Workgroup computers, I can see the computer which is not communicating but when I click on it it it says it is not Accessible.

Delete the connection, and create a new one; once created I assume you know to set the shares (share the C: drive or my documents, or something).

How do I delete the connection?

I tried that Ip config thing but couldn't get it to work.

I just to want to be clear, its my shared folders that are missing.

I tried adding them manually on another computer. it says it adds the directory succesfull but I still cant see the folder

Even on the computer which is not communicating correctly, my shared folders are not comming up in "my network places" automatically. I added them manually, but its weird because when you add a folder for sharing it should come up automatically.

Please guys, I need this computer to work, I have all my movies and stuff on it and its shared to my Media PC. Anyone have any ideas how to get it to work?

Well I found the problem. I will post just incase anyone ever has the same problem

The RestrictAnonymous registry value:

You have both the following symptoms:

You can ping the computer by IP and by name.
When you type on another computer, replacing computername with the name of the inaccessible computer:
net view \\computername

you get one of the various "Error 5" error messages, like "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied" or "Error 5: You do not currently have access to this file. ..." (However, other commands, like

net use Z: \\computername\sharename

or typing the full network path into Windows Explorer may work.)

This can be caused by a registry setting named RestrictAnonymous. Go to the computer which you cannot access, start a registry editor and change the following registry value.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SYSTEM
\CurrentControlSet
\Control
\Lsa
Value name: RestrictAnonymous
Value type: DWORD

If the value is 1 or even 2, change it to 0, reboot and retest. If the problem is solved, leave the value at zero. If not, you can change it back if you like.

Check immediately afterwards and again after a reboot, whether the value changes back to non-zero on its own. If that happens, then you have to find the culprit, which can be spyware, a worm, or a badly designed security program. In this case this procedure most likely solved your problem, but then the bad software stepped back in and recreated the problem.

Back