My network is "sick" - slow XBOX as a media extender

metropole

Limp Gawd
My network consists of a couple of PC's and laptops, XBOX.
I have a switch Netgear 608v2 (all 1Gb) that connects the wired clients. I have an access point WDNR3700. I started out trying to find ways to improve the wireless performance for my XBOX that works as a media extender. At some point I had the intuition to connect the XBOX to a wire. This caused a surprise as the XBOX-MediaCneter network analyzer shows a less than perfect performance.

So, I tried to isolate the issue. I ended up switching of the access point and disconnecting clients. I ended up with one test case where the Win7Box with MediaCenter, XBOX, and one XP client PC is connected. Still having issues. Plugged out the XP box -> network was fine. I do not think that the single XP box is the issue. I saw similar effects switching on/off the access point.

I'm somewhat at a loss. One the one hand it seems to make sense that more clients will degrade the network, but not by that much (idling clients).

I wonder if any of the advanced network option in the adapters could cause the issue. There is always a large list of other check boxes other than the TCP/IP driver. From QOS, to deterministic network enhancer,...

-Turn QOS off completely.
-Turn off Jumbo Frames on both adapters and switch (if applicable)
-Ensure that you are using Cat5e or Cat6 or if not marked make sure the cable has 350mhz stamped on it somewhere.
-A 100mbit network is not fast enough for true HD streaming. I dont know if the xbox has a 100m card in it or a Gig card.
-Wireless is absolutely atrocious for media streaming in HD. Even wireless N which is a joke is not fast enough.

To test your network speed you can wire 2 PCs (if you have) directly into a switch and transfer files between the two. If you are on a gig network you should see a min of 40-60MB/s aka 400-600mb/s. If you have really fast hard drives or SSDs that can saturate Gb lan you will see 110-124'ish MB/s.

First you need to lay a baseline for highest performance elements on your network. Everything else can be slowly added in one at a time until you find the culprit.

Hope to help. Post more here so we can offer up more if needed.

Thanks. So I disabled all this other check boxes, except TCP/IP, client for MS Networks, and file and printer sharing. On the XP box jumbo frames were disabled. My Netgear switch has no configuration. I'm pretty sure that I have good cables. Already tried some replacements with no success.

No improvement yet with the 2 nodes. Switching on the access point makes it way worse.

Is there a possibility you may have a bad switch/router? Do you have another you can try?

first, what kind of media are you trying to stream? 1080p? 720p?
second, what kind of transfer rates do you get between the computers?

j-sta, HD. But currently, my network performance is even below SD. Don't know the transfer rates between the PC's. IS there a utility I could use?

tangoseal, I don't have an other switch. I have a Netgear GS608v2 which is fairly new. But it crossed my mind to replace it to rule it out. If I did, what woudl be the best 8 port switch I could get?

j-sta, HD. But currently, my network performance is even below SD. Don't know the transfer rates between the PC's. IS there a utility I could use?

tangoseal, I don't have an other switch. I have a Netgear GS608v2 which is fairly new. But it crossed my mind to replace it to rule it out. If I did, what woudl be the best 8 port switch I could get?

I dont know about best, there isn't a lot of Best 8 ports to choose from. The one you have is just a "dumb switch". Means no firmware to manage or smart http interface.

I would go with a netgear GS108T v1 or 2. Doesnt matter. They are smart (you can log in and change settings - much better processor inside), a hundred bucks, and transfer data at Full gig line speed. Here with jumbo frames off:

It floats between 100 and 124 doing large transfers. This is more than enough bandwidth to stream HD media. And I dont have SSDs.

transfer.JPG

Well, I'm trying to transfer 504,000KB from the XP node to the Win2003 server node. After 20 minutes, not even 1/3 completed... Virus/firewall disabled on the XP box.
Network utilization on the XP box: 0.25% (avg).

I start to have doubts that this is a config issue. Probably going to get the switch you recommended. I want to make sure that I don't get one with power savings like the new GS608.

on the Win7 box, upload then download a large file to the Server 2k3 box.
Win7 displays the transfer speed like tangoseal's pic shows.

Since when?

yeah that was a mistake on my part. I didnt think about my post before hitting save.

To the OP, I didnt mention it but you may also have a bad network card. It could make all your transfers slow. For instance:

If you have all your media on your server box (win 2k8) and it has a bad nic that is reporting 1Gb but it might be really bad. You can go and try a cheap 9-12 dollar trendnet PCI GB network card first and see if that fixes your problem.

Last edited:
Ok. Everybody can have a good laugh. I found an old 100 Mbs switch in my closet. Plugged over form the GS606v2. Guess what. Stellar performance. XBOX is at ~100%.

A new switch be on order. Since my current one lasted only for a year I'm somewhat reluctant to get an other Netgear. But Netgears used to be good. So, I might give the GS108T a try.

One question. After installing I looked at the installation guide. It states to use unshielded CAT 5 cable for making connections.
What harm do shielded cables do? I thought it woud be a good thing...

Back