My network connections/internet connectivity is GONE - Virus?

Gordo282

n00b
Ok guys -

Came home from work. Computer was on since last night. I saw that Symantec Antivirus had quarantined some items...(dont remember what they were).

Internet was working (I was downloading a torrent file from eztv.it)

I rebooted the computer...

After a very slow reboot (stuck on LOADING YOUR PERSONAL SETTINGS for at least 2 to 3 minutes) I got 3 pop-up warnings:

1) a microsoft pop-up: yzz.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
2) a Symantec pop-up: Symantec email proxy cannot scan your email messages because your network is not properly configured (actually two of those popped up).
3) another microsoft pop-up: No firewall is turned on.

I cant connect to the internet.
I can't connect to my Network drive.

I did a FULL virus scan and revealed nothing.

If I try to change the firewall settings I get:
Error: Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service.

The Firewall has been stopped. If I simply click the icon in the tray, it will take me to the Windows Firewall settings page. I get the red warning that the Firewall is off and when I click on recommendations, it says:

Windows Firewall cannot be started. Try to access from the control panel.

When I go tot he control panel, I get the same problem OR I get a wanring that the Firewall / Internet Connection Sharing Service cannot be started...

If I go to the Windows Task Manager I get this:
NO ACTIVE NETWORK ADAPTERS FOUND

If I go to a system restore point - the only point I see is the last time I logged onto the computer. All other restore points and dates are GONE.

Any idea what the h3ll I did?

Can you verify from device manager that the nic is installed? If so see if you can download winsock fix for xp from another machine... It's XP right? run that, just hit fix. If it's a winsock issue that is.

If you have the System Restore enabled you could just go back to a different point. Won't affect your data and it's reversable.

Yes this is an XP SP2 machine.

Yes, I can confirm the network adapter is installed. I can enable and disable it.

Winsock. Got it and installed it but nothing happened...after I restarted, it gave me all the same warnings.

Maybe it was in the middle of an update when this happened and I just lost everything?

HELP!

If you have the System Restore enabled you could just go back to a different point. Won't affect your data and it's reversable.

Do this, start in safe mode (hit F8 on boot) and then run a system restore to last week. That will most likely clear up your issue.

Do this, start in safe mode (hit F8 on boot) and then run a system restore to last week. That will most likely clear up your issue.

You don't even have to do that, just do it in normal windows. Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.

You don't even have to do that, just do it in normal windows. Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.

True, when I said, "Do This" I meant do a system restore (and follow your most excellent advice). However, in the event that it won't run for some reason when you boot normally, feel free to do it via safe mode as well. ;)

Obviously your torrent download had some malware in it. You need to run an antispyware program such as Windows defender or Superantispyware. It'll be a hassle to update it though since you don't have internet connectivity.

True, when I said, "Do This" I meant do a system restore (and follow your most excellent advice). However, in the event that it won't run for some reason when you boot normally, feel free to do it via safe mode as well. ;)

True... that.

I will try it through F8...maybe I can get it that way?

As I said in the first part of this post, if I go to system restore point - the only point I see is the last time I logged onto the computer. All other restore points and dates are GONE.

Something that can help sometimes as well is to run a scan disk and an anti-virus scan while in safe mode, since all of your boot-up junk is disabled in safe mode Windows and AV can generally do a better job of cleaning/repairing your issue as well.

I will try it through F8...maybe I can get it that way?

As I said in the first part of this post, if I go to system restore point - the only point I see is the last time I logged onto the computer. All other restore points and dates are GONE.

Oh. You know the restore points are available to the bolded dates on the calendar right? Don't mean to be insulting, just making sure.

Could you do a repair install at this point?

Yes, I know where the restore points are BUT my calendar has no bolded dates despite the Restore being activated.

I did do a repair install and that got me back to the net BUT my computer is still infected with some sort of spyware that is popping up every now and then....

additionally I cant do any windows XP updates - something is blocking it from working...

Sounds like you're a candidate for a fresh install of Windows. Save your stuff then play the format game. Because at this point your system may just be too hosed to be usable.

I concur with installing windows from scratch. Back up your data and wipe that sucker. For reference on the install you can use windowsreinstall.com.

Back