My MX5021's need a replacement.

TheBlueChanell

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Messages
4,658
I'm looking to purchase a new 2.1 speaker setup for my desktop to replace my MX5021's that are going to be used for my laptop from now on.

The MX5021's have served me very very well the past 2 or 3 years.

Anyways I'd prefer a 2.1 setup over a 5.1/7.1.

My limit is $200

Please lead me in the right direction like you did the first time with the 5021's. :D
 
We really need a speaker sticky. ash? I am tired lol.

um ok so $200? what laptop? do you have an optical out? how about two nice powered speakers instead of a 2.1?
 
OP now i'm confused, first you said the new speakers are for your desktop, now you're mentioning your laptop (?)

do you have an optical out?
Assuming it's his laptop he needs new speakers for, it apparently uses a combo headphone/spdif jack. If he wanted to go digital he'd have to use a mini-toslink to spdif adapter.

If you're going to use the new speakers with your desktop then you can disregard the statement and product i posted ;)
 
oh man

Those jacks do not always work. Maybe better to go usb dac or sound card first.
 
if you can find Swans M10s, those are GREAT for music.

maybe consider the Swans M12s? www.theaudioinsider.com

I'm assuming since you have the newest gateway gaming laptop that you do use it for some gaming?

are you looking to get speakers for gaming, music, or a little of both?

I've been reading some good things about the Edifier S330Ds: http://www.edifier.ca/english/speakers/s330d/s330d.htm

Audioengine A2s run for $199.99: http://audioengineusa.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=79

No subwoofer on those, but I think they do well without one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTS3BBTfgQY


these are all great options if you don't want to bother with finding a good pair of bookshelves, a good sub, and a receiver. also, these options won't take up too much space on your desk and are relatively mobile (the Audioengine's being the most mobile).
 
I assumed the question was just about my laptop.

The speakers I'm going to be purchasing are for my desktop and I'm gonna use my MX5021's with my laptop.

I'm gonna be running out of an X-Fi Platinum and I don't really game with my speakers I use my headphones for gaming and I usually use my speakers for Music/Movies when I have company.
 
The speakers I'm going to be purchasing are for my desktop and I'm gonna use my MX5021's with my laptop.

Ah, that's easier then. Sound cards aren't great but are often acceptable...laptop sound tends to be more towards the low end. You had us scrambling to figure out how to fit a USB DAC in on that budget. ;)

2x$75 B-Stock X-CS + T-amp is $200 and can live without a sub, if you catch them in stock.

Edifiers are solid for a 2.1 kit, but you have to deal with NCIXUS.

Otherwise, I would say get a Dayton SUB-80 for $95 from PartsExpress, and toss in a pair of powered sats. Look for ones with 5" or greater woofers, this is often a very good starting criteria for $100 sats.

Used is a very good option, but less consistent...it would have to be more of "hey guys, I found this, is it a good deal?" than us suggesting something.
 
Back
Top