My Msi 770 blew up...replacement on a tight budget

notsure

Limp Gawd
.....and live in a country where everything is at lest 15 to 20 % more expensive then anywhere else.
I could buy an 960 from evga +4gb for approx 355 dollars
a turbo asus *blower card * 970 ---for 434$ wich would seriously stretch my budget
Same for a Galax 970
and approx 25 doolars more for a Asus strix /superclocked Evga

Im on 1080 res ..and wont change that till PCI 4.0 hits in 2017 , so any advise ?

sadly im over a month of the garanti...and i swear as good as MSI seem to in the USA its crap over here.
seems low income countries arent worth their attetion (i speak expirience from a suddenly fused MODO g65) where they dived into ignorance , and later denial ...blaming all sorts of things on me. Rather wont eat for a week in a proper manner and buy an evga this time around ....but im curious bout the Asus solution too

Don't see any mention of your budget there OP, only you mentioning rough numbers. You have a very specific number or a rough price range for the budget?

Is ebay an option for you? What area are you trying to purchase in? As in what stores are you limited to for making your purchases?

Dang man that sucks. Maybe you can find a good card here in the For Sale forums and work out a deal on international shipping. I'll have my two 670 ftw's in there soon. Just a thought.

How much are you looking to spend and what country will it be shipped to?

EVGA makes a nice 960 Super Clocked 4GB model for about 200 it's really nice

You're thinking of the 2GB model.

Also, if you bothered to read the posts, he's obviously not in the US. Here are the product links for the 2GB and 4GB cards:

http://www.hepsiburada.com/evga-nvi...i-e-3-0-ekran-karti-02g-p4-2966-kr-p-BD305201

http://www.hepsiburada.com/evga-nvi...i-e-3-0-ekran-karti-04g-p4-3966-kr-p-BD305313

Now, there's no noticeable difference in performance between the GTX 960 4GB and 2GB at 1080p. See here:

No difference whatsoever in 1% and .01% low framerate at 1080p:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1888-evga-supersc-4gb-960-benchmark-vs-2gb/Page-2

Only a smattering of stutter when they push the chip at 1440p, and only in ONE GAME: Thief

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_960_g1_gaming_4gb_review,13.html

And it smooths out as the main memory cache gets fully-loaded and optimized. The second half of the run has nary a spike!

Zero difference in Alien Isolation 1440p:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_960_g1_gaming_4gb_review,12.html

Zero difference in Mordor 1440p:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_960_g1_gaming_4gb_review,14.html

So yeah, 2GB is ALMOST enough for smooth-as-silk 1440p, so it's overkill for 1080p. Don't waste your money on the GTX 960 4GB :D

I think you're down to either the GTX 970, or the GTX 960 2GB. Your choice how far you want to stretch your budget. they're both fantastic values!

Last edited:
You conveniently skipped over the Assassin's Creed Unity results at Gamersnexus:

"Assassin's Creed Unity is the poster-child of memory capacity advantages. The game regularly capped-out our available memory on the 4GB card and fully saturated the 2GB card. This saturation results in memory swapping between system RAM and the GPU's memory, causing the massive spikes reflected by the 1% low and 0.1% low numbers.

In this scenario, Assassin's Creed Unity has a massive performance differential between the 4GB and 2GB options, to the point that 4GB of VRAM will actually see full utilization and benefit to the user's gameplay. Despite similar average FPS numbers, ACU exhibited jarring, sudden framerate drops with the 2GB card as memory cycled, effectively making the game unplayable on ultra settings at 1080p."

sadly im over a month of the garanti...and i swear as good as MSI seem to in the USA its crap over here.
seems low income countries arent worth their attetion (i speak expirience from a suddenly fused MODO g65) where they dived into ignorance , and later denial ...blaming all sorts of things on me. Rather wont eat for a week in a proper manner and buy an evga this time around ....but im curious bout the Asus solution too

Get on twitter and talk to you local rep. They may help you.

The thing is i had awefull expiriences with amd(ati) in the past, and promised myself never to touch that stuff again.[/url]

Wow your 770 blew up and you still wont switch to AMD :eek:

I switch back and forth from amd to nvidia, they are both shit but it''s all we've got.

You conveniently skipped over the Assassin's Creed Unity results at Gamersnexus:

"Assassin's Creed Unity is the poster-child of memory capacity advantages. The game regularly capped-out our available memory on the 4GB card and fully saturated the 2GB card. This saturation results in memory swapping between system RAM and the GPU's memory, causing the massive spikes reflected by the 1% low and 0.1% low numbers.

In this scenario, Assassin's Creed Unity has a massive performance differential between the 4GB and 2GB options, to the point that 4GB of VRAM will actually see full utilization and benefit to the user's gameplay. Despite similar average FPS numbers, ACU exhibited jarring, sudden framerate drops with the 2GB card as memory cycled, effectively making the game unplayable on ultra settings at 1080p."

Fair enough, although I don't put too much credence on one of the results of one of the worst-optimized AAA PC releases ever created.

A loss is a loss, so...MAYBE 4GB?

http://www.hepsiburada.com/asus-nvid...d5-pm-bd803481
Are blowerfans significantly louder ? Are they tend to crash more under load ,heat up more? are they harder to maintain..cleaning ect? Does anyone own this card ?

Yes they are louder. Not sure how much as no major sites have reviewed one. But you can search Youtube for reviews and noise levels.

Also, they tend to cool worse than axial fans, but not tot he point of throttling.

I have or have had blower 8800GT, 260s and 570s, and axial fan 8800, 460, 970 and 960. I also had a axial R9 270X.

By a long shot, when gaming the blower cards a measurably louder.Blower cooled cards tend to run hotter. When I use an axial cooled card, my case is measurably hotter. I have never had a blower motor fail, and generally dust is not an issue. Every axial cooled card, except the 960 that I got last week, that I have had, has dust build up issues. And I have had fan failure issues with the 270X, as in I have RMAed twice now.

Personally I would shoot for the performance/price mark you want, and adjust case air flow to compensate. Either way you need to consider that. A blower style will draw a slight vacuum on the case, so you need to consider more intake fans. An axial dumps all the heat from the GPU into the case, so you need more airflow through the case.

Personally I would shoot for the performance/price mark you want, and adjust case air flow to compensate. Either way you need to consider that. A blower style will draw a slight vacuum on the case, so you need to consider more intake fans. An axial dumps all the heat from the GPU into the case, so you need more airflow through the case.

got a corsair 400 case 2x front intake, 2x back&top outtake. Is that enough?
got 2 sidepanelspots + 1 bottom spot free for possible intake

It's even simpler than that.

If you have an axial fan card now, and you replace it with a blower, Add an extra fan blowing into the case to raise the pressure.

If you have a blower fan card and replace it with an axial card, turn off an exhaust fan.

Generally I like to have the same amount of intake as exhaust. Preferably slightly more intake. This pressurizes the tower so that you don't suck dust into every open crack (e.g. DVD drive). Having a slight pressure on the case will help a blower card run cooler (1-3 Centigrade). A slight pressure does nothing to help axial cards, it just makes the dust more manageable. For axial cards you need to move the air through the case, because the card dumps the heat into the case.

In your case, if upgrading to a blower card, I would also add an intake fan to one of the open positions. Your best bet would be one of the side fans to give the blower card cool air. If you upgrade to axial, do nothing. unless the heat makes the whole case hot, then add an intake and maybe an exhaust. Realistically a 900 series card makes way less heat than a 700 series card, so heat should not be an issue. Look at my rigs in my sig, Omega has had as many as 15 fans in it, it has fewer now. It is a bit loud, but I can keep it running full load in my bedroom and still get a good nights sleep.

It's even simpler than that.

If you have an axial fan card now, and you replace it with a blower, Add an extra fan blowing into the case to raise the pressure.

If you have a blower fan card and replace it with an axial card, turn off an exhaust fan.

This is bad advice, and oversimplifies something that's case-by-case dependent.

The amount of fans you need on intake and outlet depend entirely on how your case is designed.

I would never recommend turning off a fan unless you have one of those overkill cases like your Corsair 800D/400r with 8 fucking fan mounts, all of them populated. Most of the rest of the world gets by just fine with 2-3 case fans, so following your advice would kill half their airflow.

You can adjust fan speeds instead.

Last edited:
@ll , thank you for the replies and all the advise . August 19t/or 24 im gonna buy my 970 .
3 to choose from
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2974-KR
https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics_Cards/STRIXGTX970DC2OC4GD5/
https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics_Cards/TURBOGTX970OC4GD5/

MSI pricing in my country is to high atm, dont know why that is,2 years ago it was ASUS that was
more expensive than any other brand. That said : eyeballing the ASUS Cards...if i happen to have some xtra cash left maybe i go EVGA...maybe...im gonna end up with bred and water in August thats for sure :p

Back