My motherboard is dead. Please recommend me a new one.

szdpd

Weaksauce
Hello,
The motherboard on my main computer, an Abit IS7E2, apparently got fried along with my power supply after a surge caused by an electrical storm went right through my surge protector.

I have tested the motherboard with other power supplies and the results vary: with one power supply (350W, 12V/12A) the computer's fan starts spinning, the LED on the motherboard flickers very quickly and the front LEDs flash every second or so, right after I connect the power cable the power supply. Pressing the ON button won't start the computer. With another power supply (500W, 12V/22A), I don't have the problem with the fan or the front LEDs, but the LED on the motherboard flashes every second or so, at a much slower rate than before, and it is still impossible to turn on the computer.

Though I am clearly no expert on any of this, I'm almost convinced that my motherboard is fried. Luckily, though, no other computer components besides the power supply and the motherboard sustained any noticeable damage.

I need to buy a new motherboard, but I want to make sure that it will be backwards compatible with my Prescott P4 3Ghz <478> CPU (bought it 3 years ago), current RAM (DDR400) and IDE drives. If the motherboard doesn't have an AGP port, only PCI and PCI Express ports, that's alright, as I have an available PCI Express video card.

Will I be able to find a new motherboard that is compatible with my existing setup? Of course, I also want the motherboard to work with the Core 2 Duo CPUs and newer RAM modules, but at the moment I'm on a budget so I only need to buy only the essential components to get my computer to work again.

Can someone recommend me a motherboard that will suit my needs? I was thinking about buying the exact same motherboard, but I can't find them anywhere and since I'm going to buy a new motherboard, I might as well as buy one that is up to date with current technology. The motherboard doesn't have to be a top of the line motherboard, and I don't want to spend over $100 for it.

Hello,
The motherboard on my main computer, an Asus IS7E2, apparently got fried along with my power supply after a surge caused by an electrical storm went right through my surge protector.

I have tested the motherboard with other power supplies and the results vary: with one power supply (350W, 12V/12A) the computer's fan starts spinning, the LED on the motherboard flickers very quickly and the front LEDs flash every second or so, right after I connect the power cable the power supply. Pressing the ON button won't start the computer. With another power supply (500W, 12V/22A), I don't have the problem with the fan or the front LEDs, but the LED on the motherboard flashes every second or so, at a much slower rate than before, and it is still impossible to turn on the computer.

Though I am clearly no expert on any of this, I'm almost convinced that my motherboard is fried. Luckily, though, no other computer components besides the power supply and the motherboard sustained any noticeable damage.

I need to buy a new motherboard, but I want to make sure that it will be backwards compatible with my Prescott P4 3Ghz CPU (bought it 3 years ago), current RAM (DDR400) and IDE drives. If the motherboard doesn't have an AGP port, only PCI and PCI Express ports, that's alright, as I have an available PCI Express video card.

Will I be able to find a new motherboard that is compatible with my existing setup? Of course, I also want the motherboard to work with the Core 2 Duo CPUs and newer RAM modules, but at the moment I'm on a budget so I only need to buy only the essential components to get my computer to work again.

Can someone recommend me a motherboard that will suit my needs? I was thinking about buying the exact same motherboard, but I can't find them anywhere and since I'm going to buy a new motherboard, I might as well as buy one that is up to date with current technology. The motherboard doesn't have to be a top of the line motherboard, and I don't want to spend over $100 for it.

What specific model cpu is it, need to make sure its LGA 775

msabo and CamaroZ28, I have the box in front of me. It says: Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3E GHZ 1 MB L2-Cache, 800 Mhz FSB, PGA-478 Pkg

It doesn't appear to be an LGA 775. (I hope it won't make a huge difference.)

You won't find many 478 boards brand new anymore. In fact, newegg.com has exactly 4 478 models. Only one of those supports the old DDR ram. The other 3 support DDR2.

it is a socket 478, not 775

One idea:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138262

AGP and DDR

Really for the cost of keeping it, you may as well spend around $200 to update the system, you can get 3 things to really upgrade the system for around $200:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157115R - $40
AsRock mobo with AGP and PCIe, DDR and DDR2 slots (but only one type of each can be used)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178154 - $40
2GB DDR2-800

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115052 - $120
E7200 CPU

Is that the cheapest Socket 478 mobo you could find?

Really for the cost of keeping it, you may as well spend around $200 to update the system, you can get 3 things to really upgrade the system for around $200:

That's a possibility.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157115R - $40
AsRock mobo with AGP and PCIe, DDR and DDR2 slots (but only one type of each can be used)

Looks like a decent motherboard. Too bad I did not buy a Pentium 4 LGA775 processor. Do they sell 478 to LGA775 adaptors??

That's good, but the motherboard you showed me only accepts up to DDR2-667

[/quote]

That's a a fine CPU. It's only 2.53 Ghz, though. I know it's a core 2 duo CPU, but when it comes to every day use, is it effectively slower than my P4 3Ghz CPU?

Since socket 478 is dead, you will be tough to find a brand new motherboard any cheaper than that... if you do it is most likely refurbished or reconditioned, not new.

There are no socket adapters...

If you like, there are more reasonable boards for a few dollars more such as this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135059
ECS P35T-A

or a cheaper more basic version of the board I have myself:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128337
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L

The main thing right now is that you do not want to spend too much money on the upgrade because the next gen Intel and AMD stuff is on the way. At least for Intel, they are going to a new socket, tri-channel DDR3 and all sorts of other improvements. So I would say maybe $200-250 to get a slightly newer setup going and hold you over for a year or two until the next-gen Intel stuff really starts to drop in price.

The main thing right now is that you do not want to spend too much money on the upgrade because the next gen Intel and AMD stuff is on the way. At least for Intel, they are going to a new socket, tri-channel DDR3 and all sorts of other improvements. So I would say maybe $200-250 to get a slightly newer setup going and hold you over for a year or two until the next-gen Intel stuff really starts to drop in price.

Well, if it's a year or two, I might as well buy the $54 motherboard on newegg and hang on to it till the next gen comes out.

Well, if it's a year or two, I might as well buy the $54 motherboard on newegg and hang on to it till the next gen comes out.

That depends on how much you are willing to spend for a nexgen system. It will probably be another year or two before nehalem hits the lower mainstream and value markets, if not longer. Also that Biostar Socket 478 board is pretty decent, I used it in an upgrade for my parents desktop when their board went bad, however that was almost a year ago and it was more cost effective then. Now you will get more of your moneys worth if you upgrade to a value series C2D. I would strongly recommend going with the E5200 if you can wait for that one.

Do you guys approve of this mobo?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270263646772

Found it on ebay. $36
Yes, that's a solid Intel socket 478 board. It has an 865GLC chipset almost the same as the famous 865pe chipset but with onboard video. It also has a agp slot which is good if you want to add a agp video card, as the onboard graphics will be weak. It will support your cpu just fine.

It will not overclock being the Intel bios will not allow it. But as long as you don't mind running stock it will be fine. The price is right, and the seller's ratings look good.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
When my parents motherboard died, they ordered 3 different boards off ebay that claimed to be new in order to save money. All three came DOA. It will be pure luck if that one comes and works.

I have only ordered 2 motherboards. Both in the last couple or years and they both are still running today in friends machines. Just make sure the seller has good feedback and a return policy.

Yes, that's a solid Intel socket 478 board. It has an 865GLC chipset almost the same as the famous 865pe chipset but with onboard video. It also has a agp slot which is good if you want to add a agp video card, as the onboard graphics will be weak. It will support your cpu just fine.

It will not overclock being the Intel bios will not allow it. But as long as you don't mind running stock it will be fine. The price is right, and the seller's ratings look good.

Turns out that that motherboard does not come with an I/O plate, so I probably won't be buying it after all.

Any other suggestions?

Back