my monitor is screwing up

gamekid

Gawd
i dont have any idea why this happens but lately my monitor has been randomly been like cutting the picture. the top and bottom will like come in a bit and the ends are like streatched out and like the resolution is different. sometimes the top and bottom come in all the way to the center and all i see is a white strip across the screen. the only way i found out to make this better is to hit it when it happens, but thats no guarentee.

i just realy do not know what to do. can i fix it? will it get worse? will i have to buy a new monitor?

ty for any help in advance, and its an old monitor, i have no warranty or anything on it, cant return it, cant get a refund

o yeah, its a CRT

I'm having similar problems ATM. I'm also getting black lines shooting up and down the screen occasionally. Seems like it's on its last legs. The joy of CRTs.

I'm really not looking forward to the inevitable switch to LCD. I've been there before and it wasn't pleasant.

Have you guys rule out the video card? Maybe check there first before assuming it's the monitor. Also check your cabling to the monitor and from the video card. Make sure it is inserted properly. Simply turn off your computer/monitor and unscrew the cable from both the monitor and video card. Check the pins to make sure they are not bent. Then screw the connectors back on to the monitor and video card.

Yes, it's definitely the monitor - can't speak for the OP of course. Thanks anyway.

A real shame too; wish they still made them. The only ones you can get now are horrid shadow masks.

Yes, it's definitely the monitor - can't speak for the OP of course. Thanks anyway.

A real shame too; wish they still made them. The only ones you can get now are horrid shadow masks.
Is somebody looking for a brand new non-shadow mask CRT?

Nec subsidiary: http://www.nm-select.com/searchresults.asp?search_id=1

Ebay has a few new/leftovers, saw some Trinitron P1130's the other day for around $220ish shipped or so. If you're having trouble finding them, PM me and i'll dig up a few links.

Edit: Or, you could hit up your local www.craigslist.org, and pick up 2 used CRT backups for less than the price of a single new CRT ;)

Thanks. I've seen that site mentioned before. Not so good for those of us outside the UK though. You're very lucky.

I do keep an eye out on Ebay occasionally. Problem is I only have room for a 19" (the curse of the CRT strikes again) and the few new ones I see are all ≥ 21".

I'd rather stay away from used CRTs.

Back