my main rig died last night :(

lamb110

Gawd
Joined
Jul 6, 2006
Messages
602
i woke up this morning and checked my 2 computers, my 4200x2 died last night some time. It was stuck with the "disk boot error" or something like that i cant really remember since i was still half asleep. I tried restarting, but it did the same thing, i think Windows crapped out or something, so i'll get to spend this afternoon fixing that :(

But the 3800x2 is still up and folding, chuggin along with a 600 pointer and another smaller protien. :D
 
I wouldn't say it died, its probably just a bad HD or something. I would declare an entire system dead if like... the motherboard caps blew up and took out the CPU and RAM with it :(
 
damn you know what i was saying to myself that i thought the hard drive was sounding werid. Then on another Forum i was talking about how i have never had a hard drive fail on me, and look what happened. No big deal i have like 5 blank 300gb'rs sitting in another computer.
 
You can only clain something has died after you let the magic blue smoke out.

That happened today with a PSU in one of my boxen.
POP BANG All power off and the smell of magic smoke in the air.
Switch all boxen off and restored power.
Turned Boxen on one at a time untill I found the one which wouldn't boot.
Replaced PSU and nothing.
Thinking MoBo's been fried ............. :(
Tried a different PSU with a stronger 5v rail.
Booted fine and is folding again.
Looks like no damage is done but will have to keep an eye open for a lot of early ends.

Luck ........ :D
 
That sucks man...in the last six months i have had a PSU go, a MB and a CPU :eek:

lamb110 said:
No big deal i have like 5 blank 300gb'rs sitting in another computer.
and if they are just collecting dust...can i have some :D
 
roftranspo said:
That sucks man...in the last six months i have had a PSU go, a MB and a CPU :eek:


and if they are just collecting dust...can i have some :D
4 are in a RAID 5 for storage, and i just got another 300gb seagate back from a RMA, that i was going to use on a computer i'm building for my brother, but if that 160gb drive is toast then i guess i'll have to do some re-organizing of my files to free up another hard drive to give him. Shouldnt be a problem, i think i have a total of 11 or 2 hard drive, 3160 gb's total. If i did fry the computer (i havent looked into it yet) its just another excuse to upgrad to a Core 2 Duo :) I was going to wait for AMD's quad core since i am a loyal customer but my god i have seen what those C2D's can do and am totally impressed.
 
DougLite said:
3160GB across a dozen drives ain't nothin' son :D
i still love the 10tb Galaxy machine that is in the Work logs, i was blown away by that. 20 500gb drives... my god
 
its up and running again, i dont know what the hell happened, i put in the window's cd and did the recover installation thing, then rebooted and its working again.
 
lamb110 said:
its up and running again, i dont know what the hell happened, i put in the window's cd and did the recover installation thing, then rebooted and its working again.
aka....windows being stupid :)

yea...i have had that happen to me alot too :rolleyes:
 
I'd still run some drive integrity checks on it if you said it was making funny noises. the ultimate boot CD has what you need I'm sure.
 
when i booted it did the regular "blue screen" (not BSOD) disk check and there were some errors on the drive that it fixed. I wasnt overclocking the processor since my ram sucks and i really dont know what the hell i am doing :D
 
Oh yeah. I had an old slot a mobo...I had this 750Mhz Ahtlon with the "Goldfinger" overclock...you know, the little PCB that attaches to the diagnostic port on the top of the cpu with a load of dipswitches...and I had that bad boy running at 1.1Ghz. Made it two days before the cheap oem PSU crapped out. But, before it died it sent the mobo a little gift, enough voltage that every cap near the CPU exploded. I mean BOOM! I found cap guts all over the side cover. That's a dead computer. You get yourself over to outpost.com and grab a few of those $109 400Gb Seagate SATA/300 HDD's.
 
Hey Lamb


were you running a bit torrent client?
 
Pocatello said:
Hey Lamb


were you running a bit torrent client?
normally yes i am, but i wasnt the night that it craped out. I ran Utorrent last night and its fine this morning...
 
Back
Top