My Mac (OS X 10.5.3) can't see windows shares!

mystykmax

Limp Gawd
I do some help at a small school and have run into a problem I don't know how to solve and I'm hoping some folks here might be able to help. We are running a couple win2k3 servers and one winxp machine and we are unable to see the shares on the macs for some reason. For the life of me, I can't figure out why either. They are all on static IP's and plugged into a 10/100 switch and are all on the same subnet. All the windows machines have no problem seeing the shares. I'm sort of at a loss as to what's going on. Does anyone have ideas? I could sure use some help if you would be willing! :)

Hornware: Sharepoints This makes sharing files on a mac easier. Just make sure you enable file sharing and windows file sharing in the Preference Panel. I don't have my mac on so I'm not sure where its listed under exactly.

I don't have access to the macs tonight but I will on Tuesday so I'm going to try the suggestions here and I'll try to answer the questions as well then. I'm really mac-retarded so I can't remember the names of the utilities/tabs/windows I was in earlier today. You folks have given me hope!

I run a mixed Mac/Windows enviroment in my house.

The way I access the shares on my SBS03 box is

Go -> Connect to Server and then enter smb://(IP OF SERVER)

Never had an issue this way...

Essentially like going to run and typing in \\(IP OF SERVER) on your windows boxes...

edit: Just tested out by name and it resolves smb://SBS01 as well as smb://BRUCATO1, BRUCATO2 etc. so IP and computer name work for me here...

Your wins resolution most likely most resolve on the macs. Hince why everyone is asking if your connecting via IP. Most likely this sounds like your solution.

I will try to resolve by IP when I go home tonight...I appreciate the ideas and help.

My apologies for taking so long to get back to you folks. I've had a very busy week. Last night I was able to take two of the Macbooks home with me (I live on the campus of the small school) and connect to the win2k3 shares using the IP. I can't thank you folks enough for the help. I guess it was a simple thing but since I didn't know, it had been a huge pain in the rear. Thanks again for the help.

Now if I could only get them to connect to the domain controller...:(

Now if I could only get them to connect to the domain controller...:(

I run a Mac on my domain at the house. It's very easy to set up, but very picky if you don't set the right options. I can give you some tips if you want, tonight.

Also, update to 10.5.4! Leopard had some notoriously bad Windows Domain bugs when it came out, and every progressive patch has fixed more and more issues.

Maybe I'll try and make sure everyone updates their OS then. Maybe you could post some of that info for getting onto a windows domain. I won't be able to get to it tonight but perhaps saturday night I will.

We just had a Windows AD printing issue on a Mac. They were on 10.5.2 and it would not print no matter what we tried. Upgrade to 10.5.4 and it works perfect now. There was apparently a problem with .2 on a few forums I read... Good luck.

So it looks like on our network, the Macs that are 10.5.4 work fine. When I first had tried some of this stuff I had used 10.4.x and 10.5.3 (or was it 10.5.2?)...I can't thank you all enough for your help, as before this I barely knew what "Finder" was.

Back