My Mac Mini observations

brentsg

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got a chance to play with one of these and I was impressed. I have nice eqpt at home (see excessively long sig) so with that as a backdrop...

-It was the 1.4 model with 512MB RAM
-I was impressed how snappy it felt
-Programs seemed to load nicely
-It was hooked to a 23" Cinema display and it drove it nicely. Didn't notice any probs associated with the low VRAM and the resolution
-Darn it's neat looking, but ugly with all the cabling. I'd want the wireless options to minimize that.

I think based on my few minutes of playing that I will buy one. I now have to decide whether I want to part out my PC and get a dual 2.5 PowerMac or keep my main rig and get a mini. Then I'll have the PowerBook for mobile chores too.

B

keep the pc and get a mini with a gig of ram. pc for gaming, mac mini for everything else :D.

-esr

esr2 said:
keep the pc and get a mini with a gig of ram. pc for gaming, mac mini for everything else :D.

-esr

Yeah you don't want a powermac for gaming... my PC is also my audio workstation too. :)
But I'm anxious to get acquainted with OSX.

Thud said:
Yeah you don't want a powermac for gaming... my PC is also my audio workstation too. :)
you chose to work audio on a pc over a mac? might i ask why?

Thud said:

Eh, I don't really care about the PC for gaming any longer. Half-Life 2 is the only game I've played on PC in years that I couldn't have played on Mac. ...and I quit HL2 after a couple days.

B

wankrtron said:
you chose to work audio on a pc over a mac? might i ask why?

Sonar only comes on the PC. And I've been using cakewalk products ever since their DOS versions. :) I know Sonar really well and I love using it.. it's one of the best packages out there now.

Nowadays, mac doesn't really have any advantage over PC for audio work. A few more high-end packages are also coming out only on Windows, like tascam's Gigastudio, which I plan to get after upgrading to an Athlon64 system.

The same high-end audio hardware and software that you can get on mac (like Protools) you can also get for PC, so it makes sense to get more hardware bang for your buck and go the PC route. However, I can't afford Protools so I'll never get it.

I think I'll wind up using my mac for any video capture/editing that I might do, since the tools are better (and included).

I use pc for pro audio because the barrier to entry is dramatically cheaper. and it works.

-esr

Back