• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

my mac is acting funny

laxman144

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
156
I recently (christmas) bought a mac powerbook 15" super drive, I got the 128mb ati 9700 agp video card, 1 gig of memory, the 80 gig 5,400 rpm hd, 1.55ghz mac processor.
I paid about $3000 for this computer, yet it isn't that good for gaming... this deosn't make sense? It has a 128mb 9700 which is a (decent) graphics card, a rippin fast processor, a so-so hard drive, and decent ram... What might it be? could it maybe be I need to download new drivers for some of my parts? Because this should be a pretty good gaming machine, right? Also the average temperatures for all the parts combined it usually around 50-55 celcius. Could it be the temperatures?
 
Yes, I am very sorry about posting this in 3 different places, it's just I didn't know if anyone would respond in this section, and I need an answer soon.
 
you bought the wrong machine for gaming. I love my mac (dual 2.0ghz G5), but it sucks for gaming. It doesn't matter that it's an ok graphics chip, Mac's are not a gaming platform.

You're mac will beat most PC's in things like photoshop, but not games. Sorry man :(
 
Macs don't make good gaming rigs. Awesome business machines. Crap for gaming. Just not enough money in it for Apple and game makers to jump in bed.
 
I didn't buy it for games, but it still should be able to play almost any game I throw at it. It can barely even play battlefield 1942 on low settings!!!! And how do I find out what my frame rates are in games?
 
I dunno if there's a FRAPS for Mac or not.

And the thing is, most games are writen for PC or consoles. Then ported over for Mac. Ports never run good unless a lot of time and $$$ happens be4 hand. Get a PC notebook if you wanna game like you're on a desktop.
 
laxman144 said:
I didn't buy it for games, but it still should be able to play almost any game I throw at it. It can barely even play battlefield 1942 on low settings!!!! And how do I find out what my frame rates are in games?

Just because you paid $3000 doesn't mean it will handle "any game you throw at it". In short, you bought the wrong kind of computer, and you expected too much out of it.
 
not to add salt to the wounds but for 3000 you could of bought a kick ass windows based gaming laptop. i guess your running mac only type software.
 
laxman144 said:
I didn't buy it for games, but it still should be able to play almost any game I throw at it

And I bet it can, just not at 60 fps. I used to play RTCW on my 800mhz 12" powerbook. It ran around 20-30fps. I bet you can run any game available for the mac at low detail and 640x480 around 20 fps.

If you want more performance than that...build a seperate gaming machine :D
 
Back
Top