My luck with computers has officially hit a new low

Huggles

Gawd
Recently, I had to take out my mirrored drive to put it in my XP Pro machine to restore the file permissions.

Well, it just so happened when I rebooted just the other day that a pop up asked me if I wanted to "Restore the mirror" or some crap like that. I hit "Ok" but instead of popping up a menu to select a drive, it just grabbed my 160 gig drive that I just moved a bunch of stuff to and began to duplicate the mirror.

Guess what?

Now my 160 gig drive doesn't respond in Windows with anything but "This drive is corrupted..." whenever I click on a folder.

>sigh<

And people still say RAID is the way to go on a desktop instead of a legitimate backup device? Hmmmmm.

Yeah, I just don't see any real reason to use raid on the desktop. I love scsi raid 5 setup I have here on our server at work, but it's just not practical on the desktop. It doesn't seem to do much for speed either.

sandmanx said:
Yeah, I just don't see any real reason to use raid on the desktop. I love scsi raid 5 setup I have here on our server at work, but it's just not practical on the desktop. It doesn't seem to do much for speed either.

I should have phrased mine to say non-SCSI RAID. I have a SCSI RAID5 array on an old dual proc Proliant server, and it flat out screams for performance, and gives me great fault tolerance.

I just rebooted and now the goodies drive is "corrupt and unreadable" according to windows. So I clicked my backup drive, "corrupt and unreadable".

Nice!

:eek:

sandmanx said:

I should have phrased mine to say non-SCSI RAID. I have a SCSI RAID5 array on an old dual proc Proliant server, and it flat out screams for performance, and gives me great fault tolerance.

I love it when some of our customers' super-techs setup some big overly exotic RAID arrays and then they loose everything because they had no idea how it all works. :D

No offence ment to the thread poster. ;)

It may have just killed the MBR on the destination drive. Before you do anything, try a nice drive recovery program and see if it cant recover the MBR or at lease grab the old files off of there

S1nF1xx said:
I love it when some of our customers' super-techs setup some big overly exotic RAID arrays and then they loose everything because they had no idea how it all works. :D

No offence ment to the thread poster. ;)

:eek: :(

dariob said:
It may have just killed the MBR on the destination drive. Before you do anything, try a nice drive recovery program and see if it cant recover the MBR or at lease grab the old files off of there

I'm running a scandisk right now. It says "Deleting orphan file record segment 138103" and zippy by pretty quick.

Wait a sec.

With my luck, it is destroying all hopes of me getting those files back. At least I won't lose it all because the other half of my mirror is still ok.

Huggles said:
I'm running a scandisk right now. It says "Deleting orphan file record segment 138103" and zippy by pretty quick.

Wait a sec.

With my luck, it is destroying all hopes of me getting those files back. At least I won't lose it all because the other half of my mirror is still ok.

Scandisk is NOT the tool you want to run!

EDIT:

This is the tool you want to run:
http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoverydatarecovery/

Huggles said:
Looks like that won't work for the 2k+ MP3s I had on my backup drive that wasn't on my spare mirror.... ughhhhh

Did you try it?

dariob said:
Did you try it?

Free Trial - Identifies and allows you to view the deleted files and corrupted documents that are recoverable with a full edition of EasyRecovery DataRecovery, while offering full recovery and repair capabilities for Word and Zip Files.

The prices for a full version are quite steep from what I can tell. :(

I'll try it as soon as I set my video card again... ahhh... the beeping... the BEEEEEPING...

Simple yet perfectly functional restore app, and its free. I've used it several times:

http://www.geocities.jp/br_kato/

Yes, you may have moved yourself beyond its ability already... :p I don't know if it just retrieves emptied recycle bins or if it can do more.

Most data recovery programs will not actually let you recover data. Otherwise you wouldn't need to buy it, no? They will tend to give you a free peek at what they can recover...

It's been a bit since I looked, but the pay programs weren't more than ~$40. However, I would have this post moved to data storage (no offense to those here :) ). PM Ice Czar the thread. He'll likely move it and hook up the links.

Also make sure to check the links in data storage, there are releevant data recovery link IIRC. Ice Czar is DA-MAN for linkage. :)

and search queries :p

first try filescavenger to see what it can see
then try DIY DataRecovery's Diskpatch

ot sounds like your metadata is completely borked
but if you havent actually overwritten the data (like a mirror operation writing the contents of one drive over another) you can likely recover it with a direct sector scan (filescavenger)

I run a RAID5 and for 3 out of the 4+years it would have been considered my desktop
now its my NAS, but again a single user

the most greatly underappreciated risk for data loss is pilot error ;)

Back