My little sister is at it again - another computer problem that needs fixing...

Kitt2003

Limp Gawd
For the 10th time in about 3 months, my little sister has done something to her computer which prevents it from starting up correctly. I don't get it. I never have these problems with computer, then once she uses one, she finds out new way to mess things up.

This problem I don't really know where to start...

She was on her computer this morning and she said she got a popup saying automatic updates are ready to be installed so she goes and clicks next and stuff and she then has to restart the computer. The computer posts and then nothing. Black monitor. It does't even get to the WinXP boot screen with scrolling bar.

I have no idea what the problem is. Same thing happens in Safe Mode and again in Last Working Config...

Other than that I don't know what to do...

Brief specs

900Mhz AMD Athlon
Iwill KK266-R Motherboard
VisionTek GF2 Ti
Toshiba 256MB PC133

I really appreciate any help provided, as always....and now that I think of it, it's basically you guys fixing my sisters computer all these times...I'm just the middle man. :D

lol.........my sister messes up our computer all the time too. except shes older :eek:

i dont get, i came to the conclusion that the computer hates her and thats that. i dont got any major problems but whenever she uses it, it keeps freezing or a program doesnt work correctly or load........etc....

lol get ur sister a mac :p

LOL you should password protect all of the important files and folders on her computer, turn off auto updates, and give her access to only her favorite website, game, and, well, that should be about it! :)

Megadeth_Guy01 said:
Get her a Mac Mini lol.

But if something bad happens (somehow) with the mini mac, wouldn't it be a new, unfamiliar headache to deal with? :)

I did cave in though, I replaced my sister's aging laptop with an iBook :D . I had enough issues with getting rid of her viruses and spyware.

hahaha all good suggestions, but honestly, whatever i give her, shell find a way to mess it up...

anyways, you said the boot sextor might be meed up or something? any ways to test that or solutions to fix it?

lesman said:
LOL you should password protect all of the important files and folders on her computer, turn off auto updates, and give her access to only her favorite website, game, and, well, that should be about it! :)

Nothing but pure gospel right there...

Try running repair using the windows CD, or reformatting and starting over(which is prolly last resort)

Hell, run norton ghost on it and use that to restore whenever she messes it up ;)

<offtopic> Vamp, you still have that laptop? I need a cheapo beater to carry around school, pm me :) <offtopic>

Kitt2003 said:
any ways to test that or solutions to fix it?

Sounds like a good time to format her HDD if the boot sector is corrupt. Or you can just take away her computer and get her some legos lol.

try repair, and if u go to comamdn prompt, Fixmbr. and do a chkdsk to be sure.

in future make her a login thats a restricted account, so she cna't install anything that will afect the system.

Back