My Linksys WRT54GL finally needs replacing.

Betaboy1983

[H]ard|Gawd
Yes. I'm still rocking one with DD-WRT but... it's just time. I only have 10 meg internet, and limited LAN usage. Looking for advice on cheap(er) routers out there.

Thanks guys!

You want to replace a working router, but you're on a budget? You'll need to lay out your wants and needs, with the information provided suggestions will just be noise.

I've noticed a lot of the routers on the market use 1Gb as a marketing tool rather than anything else --you pay extra for it. Therefore you can get a 100Mb router for less money which would be fine for your network unless you want faster LAN speed between computers.

In your scenario, just head up to Wally World and pick up a cheaper Belkin or Netgear router that has 100Mb. You could also look at Linksys again, which still support 3rd party firmware on their models.

Well, basically my LAN speeds are crap but I can live with it. Mainly I seem to be having problems with my WAN. I am paying for 10 meg internet and I get 9 at the WIMAX (wireless internet) router. However, when I pass it through the linksys I seem to be capped at 5. Seems strange as hell, but that's what is happening. It's old as hell and with all of my issues I'm just interested in trying out a new one.

Plus, with all the router hacking I am just wondering if there are some opensource options (DD-WRT). I was thinking of just going to Walmart and getting whatever they have to test but.. just wanted to run it past you guys. Thanks again!

Edit: My WIMAX is a bridged connection so any new configuration I try with a new router I need to call my ISP with a new MAC address which is a pain in the ass getting to talk to the actual tech that can help me. Just trying to keep that to a minimum is why I am asking for advice.

Last edited:
I've noticed a lot of the routers on the market use 1Gb as a marketing tool rather than anything else --you pay extra for it. Therefore you can get a 100Mb router for less money which would be fine for your network unless you want faster LAN speed between computers.

In your scenario, just head up to Wally World and pick up a cheaper Belkin or Netgear router that has 100Mb. You could also look at Linksys again, which still support 3rd party firmware on their models.

I'd never buy or recommend to others a new router that didn't have Gb interfaces. Lack of such generally indicates older/slower tech. And in most areas it's quite easy to get a broadband connection that's >100Mb, meaning that a router without Gb would be a bottleneck.

I'd never buy or recommend to others a new router that didn't have Gb interfaces. Lack of such generally indicates older/slower tech.

I accidentally bought a 10/100 TP-LINK during a move- not because I intended to buy something that wasn't Gbit, but because I didn't realize they still effing made them. What's really wild is that the router advertises all kinds of 802.11ac speeds, but only has a 100Mbit uplink?

Pulled an ancient TP-LINK 'N' router out, probably six or seven years old, and hooked up the gigabit. Wifi speeds are slower but it took DD-WRT just fine.

And I realize that I know even less about routers than I thought I did.

I'd never buy or recommend to others a new router that didn't have Gb interfaces. Lack of such generally indicates older/slower tech. And in most areas it's quite easy to get a broadband connection that's >100Mb, meaning that a router without Gb would be a bottleneck.
Oh I understand. I had a 100Mb Internet connection with an older 100Mb router, lucky if I could get 80Mb out of it. After putting a 1Gb in it got the full 120Mb. However, he said it only has 10Mb and wanted to buy a cheap router. I put 2 and 2 together.

Back