my lappy wont conect at school to wireless.

jf1288

Limp Gawd
I go to school, turn on my wireless network and the windows network manager tells me ive got 6 networks available, each one i know to be an airport extreme in each of the labs near me. I want to connect to the internet there, but when I do the status stays at aquiring network address, and if im connecting to a specific network manually, the progress box tells me it is "waiting for the network". Is there any way to get it to connect to the airports?

Yep, call the school help desk or tech support and ask what the method is to connect to their wireless infrastructure. Could be WEP, WPA, Radius or whatever that is holding you back. They will know how they have their WLAN configured and the availability to you, not anyone on this board.

It's their network, they should know better than we would. At my school at least, they make wireless users register their mac addresses before they can connect to the wireless network. Perhaps your school has a similar policy.

ok, i wasn't sure if there was something obvious i was missing. I dont' think the school is supportive of people bringing their own laptops, its a high school, so I'll just ditch that idea.

Thanks for the help,

Jordan

here's some things to try:

1) go into the Control Panel --> Network Connections. If you have a Network Bridge, open the properties for it and unbind ALL adapters from the bridge (just uncheck the check-boxes in the top box), then press OK. then right-click the Network Bridge and press "Disable".

2) under the "LAN or High-Speed Internet" section, disable everything except the wireless connection. then right-click the wireless network connection and press "Properties". on the "Wireless Networks" tab, remove all the "Preferred Networks" at the bottom. then click the "Advanced" button at the bottom, and set it to "Access Point (Infrastructure) Networks Only", and make sure the check-box at the bottom is NOT checked, then press "Close". then back on the "General" tab, press "Configure", then the "Advanced" tab on the next window. if you see "Power Management" in the list on the left, make sure the "Use default value" check-box is NOT checked, and make sure the little slider is all the way to the right. If it says "Power Save Mode" instead, make sure it's set to "Off", "Disabled", or "CAM", then press "OK" and close back to the desktop.

3) open a command prompt (Start --> Run, then type "cmd" and hit "OK"). at the prompt, type the following 3 commands, pressing enter after each one:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh interface ip reset log.txt

after running those 3 commands, reboot the computer and try the connection again.

If I caught you at the school I admin using your own laptop I would burn you at the stake ;)

Back