My HDTV wont do 1920x1080 @ 120hz?

WaLieN

2[H]4U
So I have the following TV which supposedly does 1080p resolutions at 120hz, yet the display settings will not allow me to go past 60hz. I am using the mini-HDMI cable that was supplied with my kit and it connects into a HDMI port on the back of the TV.

Is it possible that the bandwidth limitation of the cable is keeping this from going a full 120hz? If so, I should probably resort to the RGB cable. Thanks in advance for your guy's help.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Easy answer.
The TV will only relieve up to 60Hz.
The TV always outputs 120Hz, regardless of the source.
The motion smoothing option simply takes frame 1 and frame 2 and creates a new frame frame 1.5. This adds a small amount of lag. (simplification)

What you're probably seeing now, if you're using what's usually called "game mode" is still 120Hz. With a 60Hz input signal, the TV doubles each frame and viola, 60 x 2 = 120Hz. Bummer, huh?

sucked into the 120hz hype, eh? yeah its all fake on tv's.

like gabriel said the 120hz portion of the tv is the motion smoothing option in your tv settings. most have 4 options off, low, medium, high. high would be the equivalent of 120hz with off being no smoothing @ 60hz. as far as gaming goes i would leave the smoothing off.. i typically leave mine on medium for regular HD cable tv viewing and low on blu-ray's.

but thank god for 3d! At least 3d TV's can really do 120hz.

and known to cause cancer in the state of Kalifornia

I could give a rats ass about watching 3d, but if it wasn't for 3d being rammed down our throats, we wouldn't have the manufactures pushing to make 120hz the new norm. And the more they do, the cheaper they get. I can't wait till I can pickup a 120hz IPS 24" monitor for under $200 and the 3d force feeding will make that happen eventually.

lol pxc dont forget about the 480hz plasma's :D

yeah those 1080p DLP's and the 3D 120hz tv's are pretty much the only ones with true 120hz refresh rate. but if you want to drop 2+ grand on a tv just for real 120hz refresh rate then be my guest..

There are no 120Hz+ HDTVs, its all a marketing gimmick. I've seen the so called "smooth-motion", looks like butt. Sure its smoother, but it looks blurry and fake. Can't add frames that aren't there (and even if you could, not sure it could run in real-time). Even the 3D TVs that can support the real 120Hz, do not support 120Hz input. What they do is accept a 60Hz 3D signal (2 frames packed into one) and then convert this to 120Hz for display. You still cannot, for example. hook up a PC and run the desktop at 120Hz. Only way to do that is with Nvidia 3D Vision 120Hz LCD monitors.

It would probably be another 4 or 5 years before I upgrade the LCD HDTV. I have been tempted by some of the cheap 3D Vision compatible monitors. The 3D actually looks very good.

its still a 60hz input. its a sales gimmick started when the 120hz sales gimmick started, at that time it was 60hz LCD's vs 240hz plasma's (both still only accepting 60hz input's. so when they changed 60hz to 120hz plasma went, "ah ha we can do that too" so they changed the 240 to 480hz.

yep then 3d came along and they were stuck. Can't just say 120hz, cause EVERYTHING was 120hz by then "generally speaking" So they had to come up with something else. Oh it's 3D!!! (which just means 120hz signal accepted now...)

Arguably, its not all a gimmick as some people will tell you the added frames inserted that are merges/compositions of the two frames on either side add 'simulated smoothness' to the picture. However, this data was not in the original picture, is artifically created and there's some argument how many fps/hz our eye can actually see. If I show you 119 images of an apple and 1 image of a house in 1 second, chances are a very small percentage of the population will tell you that they saw an apple and a house. Most will just say they say an apple.

However, if you decrease that to 10 fps, most people will probably lean towards an apple and a house. Somewhere, there's a fine line between what we can and cannot precieve.

Some will swear to you that the human eye can see infinite fps or near infinite fps and the power of our subsconscious allows us to detect this information, etc etc. I personally think its just marketing trying to sell more TVs and can't wait to see marketers potentially get into rediculous numbers such as '1200hz' or '2400hz' where its beyond a reasonable doubt if we can discern any additional smoothness in a double blind test, etc.

Thankfully, if you are gaming at 60hz, the tv will try to artifically create a 'mini' step between frame 1 to frame 3 that's a compositie of part of what's in frame 1 and part of what's in frame 2 to make your picture 'feel' smoother. So perhaps, it'll seem a bit smoother running a game on your pc through your tv than it did through your pc monitor? If nothing else, its probably a larger size than most pc monitors so that has to count for something.

I dont get this. so the 240 are true 120's? cause if that is true I want to buy a LED 55incher .... But hell I dont want to buy something that smoths it otu and give me input dely ... Efff that!

Yeah, 3DTVs won't accept 120hz either.
Basically with HDMI 1.4a the tv accepts frames at 1920x2160 @ 24hz or 720x960 @ 60hz (or something like that). Recieving essentially two frames at once allows the tv a sort of fake doubling of the poll rate. So it's only possible at 24hz for 1080p, and only with prerecorded special content.

I dont get this. so the 240 are true 120's? cause if that is true I want to buy a LED 55incher .... But hell I dont want to buy something that smoths it otu and give me input dely ... Efff that!

Not necessarily. In fact almost all are still 60Hz input. It just means they attempt to display more duplicate, blank, or averaged frames. I say attempt, because, most of the panels used in the TV's in question, only barely have the ability to fully resolve an image @ 90-120Hz. Around 4ms worst case is needed for full 120Hz and half that for 240Hz. Couple that with the fact that most panels marketed as 2ms panels are actually 4-7ms worst case, and most 5ms panels are actually 8-12ms worst case. Make what you will of that.
IMO, 240Hz does very slightly smooth out the image over a 120Hz TV, but I doubt going past that will have have any really noticeable effect.

If you are thinking of buying a TV, you really, really, need to do your research b4 you buy.

Last edited:
Back