My HDD is depicted with the wrong icon - how can I repair?

whisper

Limp Gawd
I'm running Windows XP Pro. Under My Computer, one of my HDDs is depicted with the icon for a CD drive instead of the icon typically used for a hard disk drive. This is not a debilitating problem, just an annoying one :rolleyes: I think I know what may have caused it:

The HDD in question used to be named (E) and is just used for data storage. Meanwhile, I have a plextor CD-RW drive that was named (D). I decided that I wanted to swap the two drive letter designations. I temporarily renamed my CD-RW drive to (F) since nothing else had that designation, then I renamed the HDD to (D), and finally I renamed the CD-RW to (E). Mission accomplished (I did all this using My Computer>Manage>Disk Management). My drives are functioning normally, it's just the ICON of my HDD which is now named (D) that's messed up. Before, drive (D) was in fact a CD-RW drive, so it's as if windows is still using the CD icon even though (D) is now a HDD.

How can I get my HDD (D) to have the correct icon associated with it?

Figured out how to fix it. There was a registry key that should not have been there. Deleted it and the icon was fixed.

Back