My Hardware Maintanence Guide

Panda Man

Limp Gawd
I wrote this guide for people that are new/fairly new to computers to help them maintain the computers, and they said I should post this up on other forums. Before I do this however, I was wondering if i can come some input/advise about this guide, like shat should be revised and whatnot. Thnx in advance for any help in making this guide better (note: I you are adding a step, remember that this will be read by novice.intermdiate users, so try to make it as easy as possible)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Clean out the Viruses! I would recommend cleaning once a week if your a novice/intermediate user, and maybe once every 3 or 4 months if your an advanced user (Advanced users should be able to keep an eye on their own traffic.) If you need a good AV, grab a free copy of AVG Antivirus, it will rock your sox. Also, if you want the absolute best, NOD32 is my recommendation. Give the free trial a chance and you will love it. It eats viruses that AVG left behind and uses so little resources, i forgot it was there!

2. Run a Spyware Scan every one or two weeks. My personal three choices for spyware detection and removal are Ad-Aware, Spybot-S&D, and Microsoft Antispyware

3. Run Disk Defragmenter about once a week. This will clean up fragments and help keep disk read/write speeds up to par. To run Disk Defragmenter, go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter.

4. Maintain Your Registry! Run a repair tool about once a week, or if your computer seems to slow down (and the first 3 steps haven't worked). A good utility is Registry Drill, however I personally Registry Mechanic.

5. Run CheckDisk about once a month. To run checkdisk, boot into safe mode, click on My Computer, right lick on C: and go to tools, and under error-checking click check now. Also, click on "Scan for and attempt recovery of Bad Sectors" before starting the scan. Alternatively, go to start, run and type chkdsk. This will check your HDD for disk and disk surface errors.
-NOTE: If you get a warning saying that paremeter F is not specified when running chkdsk, type: chkdsk C: /f

6. Clean out your case every so often, and vacume in the room where your computer is at least once a week. Make sure you have good filters in your case fans. To clean out the case, grab a can of compressed air, such as air duster, to blow off all the dust on the parts (Hold the can as upright as possible, just to make sure no moisture comes out, and i also recommend using short blasts rather than one long burst. Read the directions on the can for more info.). DO NOT USE YOUR OWN BREATH TO BLOW OFF THE DUST, as your saliva will most likely damage something. You'd be amazed at how many problems dust bunnies can cause you.

7. Dust and clean your monitor! For CRTs, using one damp paper towel and a dry paper towel to wipe off all the dirt, smudges, etc. is ok (its what i do anyways). HOWEVER: On anti-glare/anti-static surfaces (ALL LCD screens fit under this category), ammonia based chemicals will destroy the anti-glare and anti-static coatings on the monitor screens. You'll need to pick up some anti-static wipes. You can get them at Wal-Mart in the electronics department. You can probably pick them up at almost any PC store too.

8. Update your drivers! About once a month, you should always update your video drviers, sound drivers, and any other drivers for hardware that you use on a regular basis, such as you motherboards chipset drivers.

9. Install a fresh copy of your OS. Especially if you are using windows, you should install a fresh copy of your OS (Operating System) about once every 6 months.

10. Check all your fans and heatsinks, and keep an eye on heat. It causes the internal components and chips to wear out. Heat also lowers the performance of your system. The first thing to check is the ventilation around your system. Many of the standard computer desks force you to place your computer in an enclosed cabinet. If your system is in an enclosed space, move it out into the open or make sure there is an opening in the back so that the fans can bring in cool air.

----Recommended Utilities----
These are recommended maintenance/monitoring utilities that weren't already listed in the guide. Details can be found on the page the link leads to.

Motherboard Monitor (great for monitoring motherboards, as the name suggests :wacko: )
SpeedFan (Can help with fan speeds, voltages, and monitors temps)
CPU-Z (Great for general info, particualarly about memory)
Memtest86 (For testing Memory stability)
PowerStrip (Great for monitoring and adjusting any video card)
Fraps (See how many Frames Per Second you getting)
PCMark05 (Measures general performance of your PC)
MetaBench (Another benchmark program w/more than 55 different tests)
3DMark05 (Kind of like PCMark, only this will benchmark 3D capabilities of your comp)
Everest (Home Edition) (I LOVE this program. It will pretty much tell you anything you could possibly want know about your comp)
Hijackthis (good for maintaining browser security and keeping other misc. proggies safe)
EasyCleaner ([size=-1]small program which searches Windows registry for entries that are pointing nowhere)[/size]
CCleaner (CCleaner is known as Crap Cleaner. It's a simple program that maintains and cleans out the registry and unnecessary files left in your computer.)
TweakUI (Great for tweaking hidden settings)

---Thanks to GeForceX for the following---
(NOTE: These links are mostly for benchmarking/checking for stability)
* CPU: Prime 95 - http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
* RAM: Memtest 3.3 - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download350.html
* RAM: Memtest86 - http://www.memtest86.com/
* VID: Code Creatures - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1256
* VID: RTHDRIBL V.1.2 - http://www.daionet.gr.jp/%7Emasa/rthdribl/index.html
* VID: 3DMark 2005 - http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark05.shtml
* OVERALL: Sandra - http://www.sisoftware.net/index.htm...264&langx=en&a=
* OVERALL: PCMark 2005 - http://www.futuremark.com/download/?pcmark05.shtml

:) Good stuff for the basic daily needs. I made a similar list for my friend last night - a list of benchmarking/stability tools for his brand new built computer:

-J.

Great guide, very clear and concise. Too bad Everest Home has been discontinued, but the latest version should be good for awhile.

Is it really good? b/c I just had some free time, and started thinking about random stuff, and figured with the lack of actual maintenance guides, I would write one up. Also, you can still download everest, check the link :D .

GeForce: thnx for the links, i'll add the ones I don't have.

Overall, good job :D I just noticed one obvious deficiency:

Panda Man said:
These are the only two i haven't heard of, yet no description? I've seen the sites and they're for cleaning the registry and temp files. Just a line saying that next to the links would make the guide more consistent.

Yes, this needs a little fixing. General Software forum has a similar list. Perhaps it can be conjuncted to work together.

CCleaner is known as Crap Cleaner. It's a simple software that maintains and cleans out the registry and unnecessary files left in your computer.

-J.

For all the work you set forth, I think it'd be a lot less work to just become an advanced user
biggrin.gif

Heh, the guide is great. Lots of good information, and I may have learned a few things. Course I put myself in the advanced user category, so I can get by without doing all this stuff though. However... I should probably be vaccuuming daily
tongue.gif

Niloc said:
These are the only two i haven't heard of, yet no description? I've seen the sites and they're for cleaning the registry and temp files. Just a line saying that next to the links would make the guide more consistent.
descriptoin added, Some1 gave me those links and i phail at updating :D

GeForceX said:
CCleaner is known as Crap Cleaner. It's a simple software that maintains and cleans out the registry and unnecessary files left in your computer.
may i use that descrption in the guide :p

Back