MY hard drive is dying. What do I need to backup?

samduhman

[H]ard|Gawd
My harddrive is on its last legs. Its my laptop which is used 98% for gaming and the rest email and surfing. Im running WindowsXP pro. Off the top of my head Im thinking backup the entire documents and settings directory. That should get the mail and any game saves/config files that I'll want to reload. Is there anything else you can think of?

make sure to grap the application data files for email and such, i would get a external HD and use their backup software or Norton Ghost to do a complete image of your HD than put that image on a new HD

I agree with getting the external hard drive, and using something like Ghost. It can be made to run using the free BartPE, to grab a whole image if your drive.

As far as what to back up, we can't answer that. It's your computer, so only you know what's important. If you aren't sure what you need, then I definitely would suggest a drive imaging program.

Like I said. I just want to get my mail and any game save/config files. Im pretty sure most of this is stored in documnents and settings. I just wanted some confirmation on this. Not sure I want to do an image. Its been over a year. It may be time for a fresh install anyway.

samduhman said:
Like I said. I just want to get my mail and any game save/config files. Im pretty sure most of this is stored in documnents and settings. I just wanted some confirmation on this. Not sure I want to do an image. Its been over a year. It may be time for a fresh install anyway.
they might have their own folder's under program files or even application data, never really know

samduhman said:
Not to state the obvious, but you didn't tell us what application you use for e-mail, so we can't tell you where the mail is stored.

Back