RooK

[H]ard|Gawd
Relevant parts...
- dell 2409W (24" 1920x1080 max)
- asus 27" - shows to nVidia control panel as Ancor Communications Inc
---- native 1920x1200
- aoc 23" (23" 1920x1080 max)

MSI GTX 670

I am using both DVI ports and the HDMI port. I am wondering if using the display port might come into play.

I can say that both playing games with 3 monitors and viewing 3 desktops works. I don't have tons of disposable income, and while a tri-monitor setup was something I always hoped for, it was not something in the budget all at once. So it had to be pieced together. I'm not pulling out a loan for 3 identical monitors.

And here's where the trouble comes into paradise.

When I enable SURROUND, the max resolution I can get is 3840x1024. BF3 looks great, but the FPS are great, i'd like to try 5760x1080.

And i'd also like for the pain of switching from "gaming mode" resolution to "work mode" resolution to be a bit easier.... I can adjust the settings eventually, but I don't know the exact of what to disable, enable, disable in the nvidia control panel and windows control panel. I have found i have to fiddle with both before getting good results.

Would replacing the HDMI with a display port cable then running to DVI solve the problem?

edit* - I have tried adding a custom resolution of Horizontal 5760 - vertical lines 1080 - refresh rate 60 - bpp 32 - scan type progressive. And the screens don't flicker, it just says "FAILED."

Well your issue is non identical monitors. Hands down. Id just sell two and buy two more used.

I don't think Nvidia Surround likes non-identical monitors. So yeah I'd also say sell two of them and buy 2 more identical monitors. If you're going to invest in a 3 monitors setup might as well do it properly, even if it's just for aesthetic purposes.

So no one is better on getting a display to DVI converter and using that?

I'm going to try anyways. I don't have the money for 3 identical monitors.

That doesn't even sound fun playing on that large variety of monitors...

I had purchased the GTX670 to upgrade from a GTX470...

I was lacking one monitor for the three. A deal came on woot for a 23" for 125 bucks.

Done.

And actually, even playing at the gimped resolution of 3840x1024 is a huge advantage and extremely fun in jets in BF3. I'd just like a full resolution setup

Sounds like you need to check out Craigslist. Where I am at anyways there is always someone selling a 23" for $100 or less. I bought 2 24" AOC's last summer for $160 for the pair. You could easily sell your miss matched ones and buy some of the same resolution. Just a thought.

So no one is better on getting a display to DVI converter and using that?

I'm going to try anyways. I don't have the money for 3 identical monitors.

No using the DP won't help, it's just another way of connecting your monitor. The issue is with Nvidia's drivers.

I don't think there's much you can do now, either wait for Nvidia to support monitors with different resolutions or save up for a couple of monitors.

did you drop the display of the 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 before not sure if it would even matter. But I had 3 identical monitors. Swapped one out for a 120Hz 23" but still same res and have no issues with full surround after dropping it to 60 Hz that is. So I think you should only need 1 more 1920x1080. keep the 26 as a accessory display since it can run 4 cards!

did you drop the display of the 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 before not sure if it would even matter. But I had 3 identical monitors. Swapped one out for a 120Hz 23" but still same res and have no issues with full surround after dropping it to 60 Hz that is. So I think you should only need 1 more 1920x1080. keep the 26 as a accessory display since it can run 4 cards!

I thought of that as well, but it doesn't make a difference :(

For nVSurround to work, what I have to do...

- in the windows display properties, disable all but one monitor

- go to nvidia surround, enable it, and then it will work.

However when I exit surround to get my full 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 resolutions back, it blanks to the same monitor every time (the AOC) no matter which monitor I have enabled when I disable the other two.

I found this thread which someone fixed their problem, which is much as the same as mine, however two of my monitors show up as generic pnp to windows. I can force them to 60hz, but they always seem to go back to 75.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1655607

So... maybe adjusting the timings manually will do the trick, if I can figure out how to get it to stick? Maybe I need to install specific drivers for each monitor, even though nvidia picks them up, windows sees them as generic pnp?

http://imgur.com/RgU6R

Can anyone with a tri-monitor setup give me their numbers they use (auto or manual) in the bottom part? Maybe that will do the trick...

I just found this...

http://www.kegetys.fi/SoftTH/

From the looks of it, I could probably slap my GTX470 back in, and use the GTX680 for two monitors and the GTX470 for one if there is no graceful solution (ie - not spending more money)

I just found this...

http://www.kegetys.fi/SoftTH/

From the looks of it, I could probably slap my GTX470 back in, and use the GTX680 for two monitors and the GTX470 for one if there is no graceful solution (ie - not spending more money)

SoftTH works, but in some games (i.e. BFBC2) if you use SoftTH because it thinks you cheating as it's a code injector.

Yea, I read that, as well as it not supported DX10 or 11.

Back to square one... Basically it is going to boil down to figuring out how to edit something to force timings on my monitors and risk blowing them up, or living with the 3200x1024 resolution

The mentioned resolution is really nice... and having surround working is absolutely stunning and I can see how it gives an incredible advantage.... When i first started playing BF3, I was getting MVP ribbons all the time... then I stopped caring and concentrated more on vehicles and strategy rather than just dominating flags...

but I went back to domination of the flags +1 with 3 monitors :D

I worked out a fix for this on my own setup, but I'm not sure it will work considering that your monitors are all so different. At any rate, you may want to check out my topic on this here and see if it helps you out. Basically, the idea is to create a driver override in the device manager based on one of your monitors, reboot so that Nvidia will notice, and then try turning on surround without messing with any custom resolutions.

Good luck!

Back