My GTX 590 is bottlenecking my system

Wouldn't the most logical troubleshooting step be to try a different video card to assess the performance and integrity of the PCI-E lanes?

The 590 is a perfect substitute for both when you're after a quiet single slot solution.

And besides...this surely isn't normal 590 performance. Mine chews right thru Crysis (and everything else for that matter) at 2560x1600. I can't imagine how easy it would have things at 1600x900.

At 1600x900 he'd probably be more CPU limited than anything. That low a resolution won't really allow the card to stretch it's "legs." As I understand it the GTX 590 isn't all that quiet and it's definitely not a single slot solution. It's a dual slot card. Now, it takes up two slots instead of four as GTX 570 / 580 SLI would. It's also cheaper than GTX 580 SLI is. However it doesn't perform as well either and won't allow for triple monitor gaming.

The 590 is a perfect substitute for both when you're after a quiet single slot solution.

And besides...this surely isn't normal 590 performance. Mine chews right thru Crysis (and everything else for that matter) at 2560x1600. I can't imagine how easy it would have things at 1600x900.

Are you maxing out all the settings in Crysis? I'm a little surprised by your statement because I cannot max out all settings with my SLI GTX 580 LE.

Are you maxing out all the settings in Crysis? I'm a little surprised by your statement because I cannot max out all settings with my SLI GTX 580 LE.

If you're running 580 SLI would you mind telling what your resolution, nvidia global settings AND in-game settings are set to as well as your average FPS? Thank you

OK...single slot was a misnomer. Single card.
8XAA - Everything else pegged. 8XQ, 16X, and 16XQ aren't quite responsive enough to play with everything pegged.

do you have some other software running in the background using up a ton of resources... possibly a virus/malware program... i dunno just throwing that out..

Man it's already been said, but something is seriously wrong if you're having problems at 1600x900.

I'm using an overclocked GTX460 and I can run BF3, Metro 2033, etc on high settings with no problems.

I'd return the card or completely dismantle everything and put it back together just for the piece of mind. Something.

do you have some other software running in the background using up a ton of resources... possibly a virus/malware program... i dunno just throwing that out..

No man its literally a freshly built computer that has nothing on it except fresh drivers and a few pc games...I have like 10 total hours on it

I have a GTX 590 and at 1080p I play Crysis on very high settings, 4xAA/16xAF with 50-60 FPS.

Try a different gfx card to see if it could possibly be the motherboard if you can

Try a different gfx card to see if it could possibly be the motherboard if you can

I don't currently have an extra vvideo card but I'm going to go to best buy or something and grab one to use as an alternate card in situations like this...any suggestions of a card I.could buy that would be.decent enough to test out and in the 100-150 range?

I called newegg today and they sent me an RMA approval in my email...what I didn't like is it for status it.said it is.to be "sent back for repair" when I specifically said on the phone that I did not want the same card being shipped right back to me

Unlikely.

Why is it unlikely? At this point I'm willing to try anything to get the graphics and framerates I dreamt of while building this machine...doesn't make sense that you can buy all the parts, put it together and then have it perform at a 3rd of not only your expectations but also what this kind of hardware is "supposed to" put out and then think its non-hardware (videocard as I think) related considering it was put together, OS installed, drivers installed and then that's that..nothing else has really been done to the computer to try and "backtrack" on

Why is it unlikely? At this point I'm willing to try anything to get the graphics and framerates I dreamt of while building this machine...doesn't make sense that you can buy all the parts, put it together and then have it perform at a 3rd of not only your expectations but also what this kind of hardware is "supposed to" put out and then think its non-hardware (videocard as I think) related considering it was put together, OS installed, drivers installed and then that's that..nothing else has really been done to the computer to try and "backtrack" on

Unlikely in that its almost certainly not a motherboard problem. The GTX 590's performance always was disappointing. Its no where near GTX 580's in SLI or even 570's. The clocks are gimped and the thermals are bad. Dual GPU cards are often nothing but trouble. I should know, I've owned most of the high end ones. I can't say I'm surprised by this. To be perfectly honest you'll have a hard time matching what review sites got for performance given they are using canned benchmarks on different hardware configurations
than you are. Resolution and other factors may also be different. I'm not sure what the actual frame rate numbers should be, I don't get carried away with benchmarking these days. But again at 1920x1080, there will be CPU limitations coming into play, etc. I don't think it's as clear cut as "a driver issue" or the hardware is bad aside from potential thermal throttling issues you may not be seeing.

Other thoughts; 3.9GHz isn't going to allow the full potential of the system to be realized. In multi-GPU configurations we've seen differences when the CPU is shy of 4.4GHz or so. Though I don't know if this applies to multi-GPU systems running relatively low resolutions in games. I can't speak to that. This is certainly not responsible for your problems, but 3.9GHz is a minimal clock speed increase over standard turbo mode clock increases. There is more performance to be had there unless you have your PC operating in an extremely hot environment. And if you are, that's something else to think about because the GTX 590 is one hot bitch.

It is unlikely a motherboard problem. Issues with the motherboard do not manifest in this way. I've seen all kinds of odd system issues resolved with motherboard replacement, but I'm not certain that in each case the motherboard was really the culprit. Replace the motherboard and the OS will go through all kinds of driver reinstallation / redetection. Anyway, again not always clear cut. I've worked on tons of systems over the years and again I've never seen a problem like yours be motherboard related. It's possible there is something wrong with the video card. I conceed that as a possibility. Especially given the problematic nature of the GTX 590. Hell I have been exactly where you were at with my Radeon 4870x2's. I was never able to solve the problem until I switched to GTX 280's. I never found out what the actual problem was, but I spent $500 on a new motherboard (D5400XS) and that didn't solve the problem. Driver issues, reformating, etc. didn't fix the problem. I never found out what it was, and only had a theory about latency generated by the nForce 100 MCP's on the board.

Anyway, good luck solving your issue. I'll keep checking the thread and I'll respond if I have some insight into the problem. Though again I've been where you are at. It wasn't a motherboard problem. At least not exactly. Getting a different video card may be just what you need to do to put this behind you. I don't think the GTX 590 was a good buy anyway. Just because it was NVIDIA's most expensive card, doesn't make it their best. The GTX 580, while slower in some circumstances is far less problematic and two of them don't really cost a lot more than a single GTX 590. The performance they offer is far better. Just some stuff to think about.

Unlikely in that its almost certainly not a motherboard problem. The GTX 590's performance always was disappointing. Its no where near GTX 580's in SLI or even 570's. The clocks are gimped and the thermals are bad. Dual GPU cards are often nothing but trouble. I should know, I've owned most of the high end ones. I can't say I'm surprised by this. To be perfectly honest you'll have a hard time matching what review sites got for performance given they are using canned benchmarks on different hardware configurations
than you are. Resolution and other factors may also be different. I'm not sure what the actual frame rate numbers should be, I don't get carried away with benchmarking these days. But again at 1920x1080, there will be CPU limitations coming into play, etc. I don't think it's as clear cut as "a driver issue" or the hardware is bad aside from potential thermal throttling issues you may not be seeing.

Other thoughts; 3.9GHz isn't going to allow the full potential of the system to be realized. In multi-GPU configurations we've seen differences when the CPU is shy of 4.4GHz or so. Though I don't know if this applies to multi-GPU systems running relatively low resolutions in games. I can't speak to that. This is certainly not responsible for your problems, but 3.9GHz is a minimal clock speed increase over standard turbo mode clock increases. There is more performance to be had there unless you have your PC operating in an extremely hot environment. And if you are, that's something else to think about because the GTX 590 is one hot bitch.

It is unlikely a motherboard problem. Issues with the motherboard do not manifest in this way. I've seen all kinds of odd system issues resolved with motherboard replacement, but I'm not certain that in each case the motherboard was really the culprit. Replace the motherboard and the OS will go through all kinds of driver reinstallation / redetection. Anyway, again not always clear cut. I've worked on tons of systems over the years and again I've never seen a problem like yours be motherboard related. It's possible there is something wrong with the video card. I conceed that as a possibility. Especially given the problematic nature of the GTX 590. Hell I have been exactly where you were at with my Radeon 4870x2's. I was never able to solve the problem until I switched to GTX 280's. I never found out what the actual problem was, but I spent $500 on a new motherboard (D5400XS) and that didn't solve the problem. Driver issues, reformating, etc. didn't fix the problem. I never found out what it was, and only had a theory about latency generated by the nForce 100 MCP's on the board.

Anyway, good luck solving your issue. I'll keep checking the thread and I'll respond if I have some insight into the problem. Though again I've been where you are at. It wasn't a motherboard problem. At least not exactly. Getting a different video card may be just what you need to do to put this behind you. I don't think the GTX 590 was a good buy anyway. Just because it was NVIDIA's most expensive card, doesn't make it their best. The GTX 580, while slower in some circumstances is far less problematic and two of them don't really cost a lot more than a single GTX 590. The performance they offer is far better. Just some stuff to think about.

I appreciate your input a lot man, thanks...sounds like you know exactly where im coming from. Obviously none of my computer parts are broken, everything works. I can turn it on and play games, no signs of artifacting or overheating or anything like that, just a "slowness" and "disappointment" along with low frame rates in every game ive played...I have obsessive compulsive disorder so I notice literally everything from turning my computer on to shutting it off, if its not exactly the same I freak out. I notice every little hiccup (this is why I took a break from computers for a few years as far as gaming).

When I came back into the game and built my new computer all I thought was "man all these games I love are coming out, computer gaming is SO FAR ahead of consoles its insane, I have spent over 3k this is going to blow my mind" and now here I am thinking that these games don't really look much better than PS3, I was expecting realism, I was expecting Ps4 futuristic quality, I dunno, I was just expecting to be able to MAX every setting and get over 60fps in any game thrown at it (especially at such a low resolution no less) but here I am getting 30fps in crysis (a 5 year old game) and dipping down to 40fps in WoW at certain points...

Its all just unacceptable to me...I wouldn't mind if I hadn't spent so much and also seen all these people getting better results with less....the only thing that keeps me thinking my card is faulty is the fact that ive asked about 100 people in-game and in forums about their settings and FPS in exact same games/scenarios, they are always much higher/better than mine, so in my mind my card is broken.

If you're running 580 SLI would you mind telling what your resolution, nvidia global settings AND in-game settings are set to as well as your average FPS? Thank you

I understand your frustration, I've been going through the same myself. I run my GTX 580's at stock freq of 832MHz and play at a resolution of 2560x1600. With all in game settings maxed out (including AA and AF), I barely hit 40FPS! This shocked me because I thought my pair of 3GB GTX 580s should chew up any current game. Imagine my surprise that it struggles with old Crysis :( Nvidia global settings are AF=application controlled and AA=Off.

OK...single slot was a misnomer. Single card.

8XAA - Everything else pegged. 8XQ, 16X, and 16XQ aren't quite responsive enough to play with everything pegged.

Thanks for the info. You rig seems to be getting more performance than mine.

uninstall your driver, clean install the current one (DRIVER ONLY NO 3D, PHYSIX, OR AUDIO), turn ambient occlusion off, turn physx to be rendered on the cpu. This has helped my performance

uninstall your driver, clean install the current one (DRIVER ONLY NO 3D, PHYSIX, OR AUDIO), turn ambient occlusion off, turn physx to be rendered on the cpu. This has helped my performance
um do NOT set physx for the cpu. if you are playing a game that uses hardware physx and you have it turned on in the games options then you need to have your gpu handle that NOT your cpu. if you do not want to run the hardware physx then do not enable that option in the game but leave the Nvidia control panel setting to auto or gpu.

I would just return the card and try a different one if it's giving you that much trouble. You only have so long before the return period expires. Better act quick!

A better idea would be to try the video card in another PC. Benchmark it, play some games on it and see if it's better or not. The issue I really had with my 4870x2's is that they were acting like they ran on a single GPU. Together in CrossfireX I got the performance I should have had with one card.

If I were you I'd also not toss it in an X79 chipset based board if you can help it. (Should be easy as new as they are.) My bet is that there is a driver issue with the dual GPU cards and the X79 chipset. I'd wager that is your problem. Now being able to do something about it is another matter entirely. AMD ignored my problem completely. I sold off my 4870x2's and bought 3 GTX 280's for 3-Way SLI and never looked back. I ran that setup right up until the GTX 580's came out. Dual GPU cards never seem to get the driver treatment they deserve on newer platforms. It was a long time before 3-Way SLI support was allowed for GTX 280's on the D5400XS for example.

A better idea would be to try the video card in another PC. Benchmark it, play some games on it and see if it's better or not. The issue I really had with my 4870x2's is that they were acting like they ran on a single GPU. Together in CrossfireX I got the performance I should have had with one card.

If I were you I'd also not toss it in an X79 chipset based board if you can help it. (Should be easy as new as they are.) My bet is that there is a driver issue with the dual GPU cards and the X79 chipset. I'd wager that is your problem. Now being able to do something about it is another matter entirely. AMD ignored my problem completely. I sold off my 4870x2's and bought 3 GTX 280's for 3-Way SLI and never looked back. I ran that setup right up until the GTX 580's came out. Dual GPU cards never seem to get the driver treatment they deserve on newer platforms. It was a long time before 3-Way SLI support was allowed for GTX 280's on the D5400XS for example.

I think it is a problem with compatibility here as well. Brand new platform always has little issues, sometimes you have to wait a few weeks to get a BIOS or driver update that fixes everything. At 1600x900 you're squarely in CPU limited territory although I doubt the 3960x is going o cause a problem. It sounds like Op has other issues going on at the same time but wants to blame it on the GPU because that is the easy part to trade in for a new one.

My 590 ran everything nicely maxed out at 1200p with no issues, crysis 1 and crysis 2 dx11/highres 50-60fps. Slightly behind my old 580 matrix platinum SLI setup, but slightly ahead of the 570 SLI setup I used unless it was OC'd past 900mhz. Synthetic benchmarks showed a different story but there was no real difference when I was gaming on them besides hitting the Vram limit all the time on the 570's. It is also faster than both 6990's I had, although those failed so fast I never really got to try them out for more than a few hours.

Newegg is going to give me a store credit full refund and I think im going to try SLI GTX 5803gb...my concern is that I have an 800w corsair PSU...its a "gamers xfire/SLI edition but is 800w enough? I know this isint really the right forum for that question but instead of making another new thread ill just ask it in this one:

Is a solid 800w corsair PSU enough to.SLI gtx 580s? I know everyone likes to just automatically shout "get a 1200w" but that seems like overkill in most scenarios...is upgrading my PSU completelu necessary? Just need to know before I start ripping it out

Ps - I won't be overclocking

no way would I run a i7 3960x gtx580 sli system with an 800 watt psu. at all stock speeds for everything you would be fine but throw in some overclocking and you are asking for trouble. and why have such an expensive pc like that if you are not going to oc and get the most out of it?

no way would I run a i7 3960x gtx580 sli system with an 800 watt psu.

I wouldn't either but it's possible. My system doesn't usually pull more than about 700-750 watts while gaming. I've got a 1200watt PSU. Though at the time I bought it my power demands were greater. Much greater than they are now. But throwing in a third GTX 580 or whatever would certainly require the extra head room.

if you're not planning on upgrading from your 1600x900 I see no reason for SLI. A single gtx580 should handle nicely, but I guess you have to spend that 700 store credit somehow.

if you're not planning on upgrading from your 1600x900 I see no reason for SLI. A single gtx580 should handle nicely, but I guess you have to spend that 700 store credit somehow.

That's a good point.

Lol the 1600x900 was a completely temporary thing...ill soon be gaming in 1080p or above as soon as I choose the right monitor setup...

Rigjt now I can't decide on 2x gtx 580 3gb or 1.5...is there much of a difference? And yes I'm upgrading to a 1200w corsair PSU

On newegg I currently only see 1 single model of the 3gb version and that is the evga hydro copper edition

OP is reinstalling drivers over and over and is forgetting to turn SLI on...

Done.

Lol the 1600x900 was a completely temporary thing...ill soon be gaming in 1080p or above as soon as I choose the right monitor setup...

Rigjt now I can't decide on 2x gtx 580 3gb or 1.5...is there much of a difference? And yes I'm upgrading to a 1200w corsair PSU

On newegg I currently only see 1 single model of the 3gb version and that is the evga hydro copper edition

From what I know from previous cards the 3gb card will help out at high resolutions 2650x1600 or 1440 or multi monitor setups.

At 1080p the 1.5GB cards would be fine. If you plan on going multi-monitor, or bigger monitor, than the 3GB cards come into play. Or you could hedge your bet and get CrossFire 2GB 6970s.

OP is reinstalling drivers over and over and is forgetting to turn SLI on...

Done.

SLI is always enabled on the dual GPU cards. You can't turn it off. Been awhile since I've had one from NVIDIA, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. Though SLI may not actually be working right on his setup. Given how the dual GPU cards are with new platforms and chipsets, this wouldn't surprise me at all.

SLI is always enabled on the dual GPU cards. You can't turn it off. Been awhile since I've had one from NVIDIA, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. Though SLI may not actually be working right on his setup. Given how the dual GPU cards are with new platforms and chipsets, this wouldn't surprise me at all.

I happen to be running a 9800 GX2 right now and I can turn SLi off.

I happen to be running a 9800 GX2 right now and I can turn SLi off.

Really? I've had dual 9800GX2's and I've used them on my test bench from time to time. I don't recall being able to turn SLI off. I also remember it defaulting to being on.

Really? I've had dual 9800GX2's and I've used them on my test bench from time to time. I don't recall being able to turn SLI off. I also remember it defaulting to being on.

Yeah, I can confirm that I am able to run only one GPU. FPS is about half.

Although, I am running on a P45 with HyperSLi, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Yeah, I can confirm that I am able to run only one GPU. FPS is about half.

Although, I am running on a P45 with HyperSLi, so maybe that has something to do with it?

SLI capability on dual GPU cards has nothing to do with the motherboard. So that shouldn't be it.

SLI capability on dual GPU cards has nothing to do with the motherboard. So that shouldn't be it.

No, I realize that. I was just trying to fill in the blanks.

All I can say is, I can turn SLi off.

I can't really find any reviews for 580 SLI vs 590 SLI(quad)....trying to know for sure that SLI 580s are indeed better than SLI 590s before I return my 590 and pull the trigger with 580 SLI

I can't really find any reviews for 580 SLI vs 590 SLI(quad)....trying to know for sure that SLI 580s are indeed better than SLI 590s before I return my 590 and pull the trigger with 580 SLI

No, 4 of the same GPU will always beat 2 of the same GPU.

Your reason for getting low frames might be difficult to understand, but it can be explained.

Back