My fist smartphone.

BioInclined

Limp Gawd
I plan to take the step soon. I haven't gotten a smartphone since i don't want to pay for the service and just never had an urge for one...now i do.
I am with Verizon.
1) If i buy a phone, used, clean ESN or 3rd party(LetsTalk we'll say) can i have it activated without having to get immediate data package?

2) I don't know much about phones, i don't need one ASAP and would rather pick put one that will last for a couple years.

3)I do not want an iPhone, just don't. Not a fan of Apple.

4) I would love to have excessive amounts of customizability(now a word) and if i have to "crack" it or whatever i would do it as long as the process is somewhat stable.

Thanks for any help in the right direction. I have been and will keep browsing here.
Price range $250 and under is preferred unless I'm getting accessories with it too.

I plan to take the step soon. I haven't gotten a smartphone since i don't want to pay for the service and just never had an urge for one...now i do.
I am with Verizon.
1) If i buy a phone, used, clean ESN or 3rd party(LetsTalk we'll say) can i have it activated without having to get immediate data package?

2) I don't know much about phones, i don't need one ASAP and would rather pick put one that will last for a couple years.

3)I do not want an iPhone, just don't. Not a fan of Apple.

4) I would love to have excessive amounts of customizability(now a word) and if i have to "crack" it or whatever i would do it as long as the process is somewhat stable.

Thanks for any help in the right direction. I have been and will keep browsing here.
Price range $250 and under is preferred unless I'm getting accessories with it too.

1) Nope, Verizon will see the MEID when you activate it, know it's a smart phone, then immediately add the data plan to your account. There's no way of evading this.

2) If you're at least a year or more into your current contract, Verizon has a deal right now where if you send in your old feature phone, they'll give you $100 rebate card for it along with the subsidized price of whatever smart phone you want. If you're getting a used phone, $250 might get you a Thunderbolt, Incredible 2 or some other newer single core phone. I'm not sure those will last 2 years with how resource intensive the OSs get with every update. It really depends on if you want to stay on the cutting edge of software or not. If you can get it subsidized from Verizon (or any other e-tailer like Amazon/Wirefly), then you can get the current flagship; the Bionic for $250-$300 from Verizon or it's $150 on Amazon last I checked.

3) Add Mobusta1 to your ignore list right now.

4) Most Android phones are pretty damn customizable out of the box. Most people just like to root/hack their phones to get rid of the manufacturers custom "skin" or UI that they run on top of Android, get rid of other bloatware and also to tether without paying for the absurd tethering packages.

Thanks, i was thinking about the Bionic from Let's Talk for $160 i think it was then i see a phone "Prime" is highly awaited from people.
Assuming Verizon will get a version of it.

Thanks, i was thinking about the Bionic from Let's Talk for $160 i think it was then i see a phone "Prime" is highly awaited from people.
Assuming Verizon will get a version of it.

Since this is your first smart phone, I'm sure you would be quite pleased with the Bionic. But on the same token, it wouldn't be hard for you to wait another month or so before the Prime is out. Yes, Verizon will get a version of it because they said themselves that they skipped on the GS2 for something better from Samsung; which can only be the Prime. Last rumored launch date was November 3, but I'm sure we'll know much more about the phone and launch date come Oct. 11. So unless you just want something now, I think it'd be worth the wait to see what's coming ahead. The HTC Vigor will also be out in Oct. supposedly.

3) Add Mobusta1 to your ignore list right now.

This made my day, bravo :D

On the other hand, mobusta can be good for some laughs. Every post he makes is done with the intention of leveling himself up in the Apple Defense Force, and it's pretty dam funny.

He also uses hacks in Black Ops and posts vids in the General Gaming section of himself doing it, saying "Check out how motherfucking 1337 I am bitches!!!", then tries to worm his way out of it after he's called on his bullshit by people who invest the time to look him up on different game hack forums. Serious lulz with this guy.

This made my day, bravo :D

On the other hand, mobusta can be good for some laughs. Every post he makes is done with the intention of leveling himself up in the Apple Defense Force, and it's pretty dam funny.

He also uses hacks in Black Ops and posts vids in the General Gaming section of himself doing it, saying "Check out how motherfucking 1337 I am bitches!!!", then tries to worm his way out of it after he's called on his bullshit by people who invest the time to look him up on different game hack forums. Serious lulz with this guy.

He's also a 20 something year old investment banker that makes 6-figures/year and assumes everyone is to be "jelly" of him.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist adding to it. Let's stop derailing this before it gets closed/modded :eek:.

If you don't think you'll use much data, you could always go with PagePlus. They have a plan that gives you 1200 minutes/2000 texts/100MB of data for $29.99. The best thing about PagePlus is that you can use any Verizon phone, so if you're looking to get a smart phone, but don't want to pay the ridiculous price that Verizon charges for data, PagePlus is a really good option. My GF has been using it for a few months now and hasn't had any troubles.

lol, yea i missed a letter oh well.
Appreciate the feedback and will think more about waiting, it's been this long anyway. If i see the Bionic cheap enough i might just get it and keep as a back up or re-sell.
I will look into Paige Plus too.

Contrary to plans, I went with the Droid X2. I am in an area that is empty of 4G and while the Bionic was nice the difference of $200 was not worth it to me(I had an upgrade) With this estimation of Prime around the corner, i figure by the time i want to switch again i can get the "Prime" for a reasonable price if it's as good as they say it will be.
Couple things...
- I have seen a few Droid forums, any one know somewhere reasonable to lead me on my way? OS info, how to adjust themes, any cool tricks?

-I would love to increase efficiency, i hate useless apps running. I noticed things like weather/news, Facebook and such stay open even after i force stop. Is that the only way to get those to stop until i re-open them?

Thanks for the help.

Here you go. I used these forums a lot when I first got my Droid. But in the past few months the Droid subforum has pretty much died since the phone is so old and most original Droid owners have moved on. The X2 forum (what I linked to) seems somewhat active still and also has some info in the "All Things Root" subforum. To get rid of some of those stock apps that keep running, you're probably going to have to root the phone to kill/delete them. If you just make a thread there though, I'm sure you'll get some good guidance ;).

My smart phone is Tianxing A2000

Another one of those Chinese knockoff OEM manufacturers. I would never in the life of me purchase something like this.

I remember when my friend got tricked into buying a fake Nokia 8800. He thought it was real. Convinced by the buyer that it was stolen from the Nokia manufacturing plant. Turned out to be fake as the interface had gramatical mistakes. Fail. And the instruction manual read NOKLA

Back