• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My First WU on a 4p

wings2004

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 17, 2012
Messages
213
So I've been inactive for the past month because my power bill was quite high after the push for 900m and I really needed to take some time off, well, I finally got around to putting together my 4p a few weeks ago but I hadn't done the OS install or any of the software work. I was starting to wonder if it was even worth it when I was bashing my head against the ubuntu install a couple days ago but then it finally all settled into place and it happened.

I have just uploaded my first WU as a 4p folder, and I have to tell everyone that's even considering it, its worth it. I went the cheap route, I went with the sales on RAM and got my 6128's for $100 each and have a small 620W antec PSU thats crying right now but it worked, and this was its reward:

Month/Year Points Results
07-12 250,373 1
06-12 261,391 151

1 result, took over 36 hours (I think haven't done the math) Hardfolding still claims I'm inactive and it was worth almost as much as my 151 results in June. Holy Crap! I never realized the power of these systems before but now I'm just in awe. If you're on the fence get one. I did it for less than 1500 and mine has a nice spottswood case and everything, DO IT NOW.... Now I just need to stop myself from getting another until after I move.

Thanks for putting up with me and Fold [H]ard for Science!

Wings
 
Congrats on joining the 4p club. I hope to one of these days.
 
Way to go, lots of us have had the same experience. But, doesn't everyone need at least two? :)
 
When I got the spottswood, I got it two tiered but I need to close on my house before I make anymore big purchases.
 
What MB did you go with? If it was a SM, you can push those 6128 to 2.3GHz pretty easy.

Welcome to the club. Remember that group support mets every other Tuesday :D
 
Burn it up for the [H]orde!
My always-cold basement is now a full time sauna here in Hotlanta :cool:
 
Congrats! The power of these little systems is just amazing. And like 402 said, the 6128's can o/c pretty nicely if you have one of the supermicro boards.
 
I do have a Supermicro board, I am going to fold stock until I move, then after the movers drop the server back off I'm going to fold stock for a week to ensure nothing got damaged in transit and then I will turn up the heat. Assuming that all goes well I am considering getting a second 4p that's a Tyan, move the 6128's to that and upgrade the SM board to something 12-core... but this is all months away, gotta get the rig safely to Ohio first.
 
At wiredzone, you can buy a 4p SuperMicro for just over 600. I think that's cheaper than a Tyan.
 
Back
Top