• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My first SSD. Is it defective?

gkg101

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
422
Last week, I put together a new general use computer (in signature). I'm trying to install a clean copy of Windows 7 Home Premium onto a new Samsung EVO 750 250gb drive from a Win 7 home installation DVD. The only connected hardware is the SSD and the DVD drive. I'm thinking the SSD is defective. At first all seemed normal – my computer booted from the DVD and started to install Windows. Unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention to the order of the events - I was happy to let Windows do the driving - a pop up message from Windows said something to that effect. But soon I saw text over a black screen indicating something about boot manager and suggesting a re-start after which I pressed delete which led me to MSI's Click Bios 4. The Bios recognizes the model of my SSD and the port it's presently on (I had tested other ports). It's listed a boot option 1 under Settings/Boot/Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities. Double clicking brings up a dialogue box with my drive named in orange text on the top row and "Disabled" in white lettering on the bottom row. When I press reset the computer again tries to install from the installation disk eventually leading to a screen listing a choice of partitions on the SSD but each choice stating, "Windows cannot be installed" with an explanation,"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing partition. There is a choice to provide drivers but says something like "no signed device drivers were found, make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers......"
Note, my SSD was shipped to me from an online retailer missing all documentation. Is this disc defective or am I missing something?
 
get into a command prompt (should be available under the repair options off the Windows installation boot media)

DISKPART

LIST DISK

(typically, the primary SSD/HDD will be Disk 0 [zero])

SELECT DISK 0 (or whatever number the SSD is

CLEAN

EXIT

EXIT

reboot and try again
 
Find your ssd in a live linux session and
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/[sd...] bs=4096 count=4096
will effectively wipe the disk clean (zeros the first 16MB)
 
Find your ssd in a live linux session and
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/[sd...] bs=4096 count=4096
will effectively wipe the disk clean (zeros the first 16MB)

Doesn't that hammer the SSD with P/E cycles?
 
Once thing that I see work a lot is once you have followed the steps in post 3 above, is once you are back in to pick your drive for install, is to DELETE it, then click OK to continue install. Works all the time for me. I usually make sure not to have any other disks plugged in during install either, or the net connect for that matter.
 
Last edited:
But my new computer never had an operating system installed. It can only access the BIOS and the beginning of the install program from my Win 7 installation disc.
 
I already deleted anything I could delete, that is partition 1 system reserved and partition 2 primary. Now it reads only Disc 0 Unallocated Space.
Boot to command prompt, get into DiskPart, follow the instructions laid out in post 3, then do what I suggested.
 
A replacement hard drive came and installed Windows 7 and updates. Unlike my first drive, the new drive came with actual documentation in a SEALED envelope stating that among other things it contained a "one-stop Install Navigator, Manuel & Software CD." I know it's a minor quibble but no such CD was in the envelope or anywhere else in the shipment. Weird.
 
Diskpart
List Disk
Select Disk X
Clean
Create Partition Primary
Active
Format FS=NTFS QUICK
Assign
Exit
Exit

Try that and see if it will install then. If does not, delete the partition on the Win10 install page then select the space and click OK. I do not think this has not worked for me ever.
 
Oh, a replacement came and worked. Thanks for your time!
Well, glad you got that sorted. Did you ever run the health check software on the original from the mfg?
 
Back
Top